Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mysterious piles of dirt in my yard

Default Mysterious piles of dirt in my yard

As some of you know, we moved into my husband's parents house this summer. I have noticed that fairly large piles of dirt will appear overnight in various places around the yard. Hubby was thinking probably moles but my dad was over and pointed out to us that there were no tunnels on the surface. He thinks they are salamanders. I did find a pile of dirt yesterday that had a small tunnel entrance, probably about 4-6 inches in diameter.

I know salamanders eat bugs so would like to keep them, but is there any way to discourage them from making these piles in my garden and flower beds? Some of these piles are probably a foot high and could devastate a small planting if they pile it on it.

unless you live in a swamp, it aint salamanders..lol seriously, they need VERY WET muck to survive.. if your ground is wet enough for salamanders to survive, you may as well not worry about gettin rid of them, because you aint growing nothin but rice there no way..lol

Quote Originally Posted by dilligaf View Post
    unless you live in a swamp, it aint salamanders..lol seriously, they need VERY WET muck to survive.. if your ground is wet enough for salamanders to survive, you may as well not worry about gettin rid of them, because you aint growing nothin but rice there no way..lol

Nope, not a swamp. In fact the house in on higher land with the back and sides sloping down to the woods, which are also dry.
    Any idea what leaves piles of dirt but no tunnels visible on top of the ground?

Liberty is offline Tree of Liberty Supporter

It's moles. Tunnels don't always run across the surface of the ground. Treat your property well for grubs and the moles will look elsewhere for food.

Don't waste time on poison peanuts, or try chewing gum in the hole, or any other goofy wives' tale. Just treat the yard. Or shoot them and train your dog to dig 'em up. But that's a whole new skillset.

yeah i go with moles or voles as well..
    nemophilist.

Default If the piles are large,

it may actually be the dreaded gopher. They don't always leave tunnels. I read someplace that you can tell the difference between mole and gopher holes by the way the dirt is placed, but I've long since forgotten exact details. I do know that both moles and gophers will open a hole overnight and close it over in the morning.

• “I am not afraid, because I was born to do this."

Joan of Arc
    Mark 8:38 - Whosoever therefore shall be ashamed of me and of my words in this adulterous and sinful generation; of him also shall the Son of man be ashamed, when he cometh in the glory of his Father with the holy angels.

grower is offline Tree of Liberty Contributor

I don't know much about the difference between moles and gophers, but I agree with dilligaf about the salamanders. The only place I've ever seen salamanders is under logs in wet areas around creeks.

I do know, if you have a cat that's a good mouser, she'll catch moles, too.
    IF you are willing & obedient , you shall eat the good of the land: But if you refuse & rebel, You shall be devoured with the sword: for the mouth of the LORD hath spoken it. Isaiah 1:19, 20

Quote Originally Posted by willowlady View Post
    it may actually be the dreaded gopher. They don't always leave tunnels. I read someplace that you can tell the difference between mole and gopher holes by the way the dirt is placed, but I've long since forgotten exact details. I do know that both moles and gophers will open a hole overnight and close it over in the morning.
    I found this link online, http://icwdm.org/pages/Gardens.aspx#mounds . Based on the drawing, we have moles. But their holes aren't centered in the mound, so I guess we have weird moles.

Our moles don't even make a mound, so ours are weird too. But as we walk around the yard we can feel where their tunnels are; the ground is soft. Our coonhound loves to scout them out, running around with her nose dug into the tunnel leaving behind her a wake of grass and leaves. Eventually she finds the mole and all three of the dogs enjoy the party afterward.