Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Priest who denied communion to lesbian at funeral is placed on administrative leave b

Default Priest who denied communion to lesbian at funeral is placed on administrative leave b

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nati...icle-1.1037324

Johnson told the Washington Post that the priest "put his hand over the body of Christ and looked at me and said, 'I can't give you communion because you live with a woman and in the eyes of the church that is a sin.'"

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nati...#ixzz1oumAG9ld

I thought sinners were the ones who needed Christ the most?
    Only the sword now carries any weight in the balance for the destiny of a nation.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey Thomason View Post
    Now now, don't confuse the issue
    Proud Patriot Guard Rider
    www.patriotguard.org

You must confess your sin and promise to repent from it to receive communion. Willfully embracing sin makes communion meaningless for the willful sinner, and would be unethical for a priest to adminster an unholy communion.
    "See, in the last few years...we've stumbled... And when you stumble a lot, you...you start looking at your feet. We have to make people...lift their eyes back to the horizon and see the line of ancestors behind us saying, 'Make my life have meaning.' And to our inheritors before us saying, 'Create the world we will live in.' I mean, we're not just holding jobs and having dinner. We are in the process of building the future."

Outbound

The Frigid Times
    http://www.frigidtimes.blogspot.com/

Unrepentant sinners have denied Christ. Denying her the sacrament of communion was appropriate.

Sounds like he took the appropriate action. I had to go read the OP's article to make sure he is a Catholic priest. I thought the Catholic Church's stance on communion for gays was clear?

And here I thought repentence was meant to get closer to Him by turning from unrighteousness that keeps us separated.

Since the New Covenant is about spiritual things, the PHYSICAL tradition of communion has limited value in the TRUE scope of things.

Even if the priest DID give the lesbian communion... would that have CHANGED God's intimate relationship with someone who doesnt acknowledge their sin, and doesnt consider it a sin that needs repentence?

So in the end... the whole thing is sophistry anyway.
    Why is owning pets better than owning kids? Because if they get pregnant, you can sell their children.

The Daily Economist
    http://www.thedailyeconomist.com

Who invented the ceremony of communion?

Give her the wafer. God will judge her, that is not the priest's job.

Default +1...

Quote Originally Posted by TheSearcher View Post
    You must confess your sin and promise to repent from it to receive communion. Willfully embracing sin makes communion meaningless for the willful sinner, and would be unethical for a priest to adminster an unholy communion.
    The repentance (and sincere subsequent praying for forgiveness of that sin from God) must precede the communion, as I understand it.

I am not a Catholic but it seems to me that this man was not only following his beliefs but also the teachings of the church and now they punish him. Geez. And this is the same church that for years and years his/protected priest that abused children. Now I am confused because from my point of view the priest is correct in his actions while the church seems more and more like a politician going whichever way the wind blows and trying to cover up or gloss over anything that anyone might find objectionable.