Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Articles Of Confederation

Committees of Correspondence?

Quote Originally Posted by EMICT
    Committees of Correspondence?

How did you know??

:P

Just a WAG.

Patriot, i am curious about two names that dont apear in the Articles of Confederation: Can you provide any insight?

Benjamin Franklin and Jon Adams

Quote Originally Posted by Lamo60 View Post
    Patriot, i am curious about two names that dont apear in the Articles of Confederation: Can you provide any insight?

Benjamin Franklin and Jon Adams
    I would say the reason that Ben Franklin did not appear in the signatures was because he was dispatched to France as US Ambassador in late December 1776 until 1785.
    The Articles were written in 1777 and ratified in 1781. So Franklin was in the middle of dealings with France during this time.
    With John Adams, it was basically the same thing, to make a long story short he was doing the whole ambassador thing in Europe during this time as well, in The Netherlands and with Prussia.
    When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. --Thomas Jefferson

Okay, after reading all of this and the Constitution, again and again, I have a question. SOMEWHERE I read, years ago, that the money to run the Federal Gov't, originally, came from import taxes and anyone outside this country that wanted to do business with this country.

Can anybody help me with this? I'm old and only have a few brain cells left. I guess what I'm asking is where did the money come from ORIGINALLY to fund the gov't? Was it taxing the Citizens of America or where? I hope y'all understand what I'm trying to say.....

Thanks in advance.
    Old enough to remember

The U.S. was originally funded from the U.S. Treasury that embodied the U.S. Customs Service. The U.S. Customs Service collected duties on Imported Goods (primary source of income for the United States at that time). I'm not sure when the U.S. Treasury and U.S. Customs service came into being, i'm sure it's easy to look up.

Taxation of income from citizens was originally supposed to be a short term tax to help pay for the war efforts. Once taxation of the citizens started it was the beginning of being Tax Serfs to the government.

The U.S. Customs Service no longer collects duties on imported goods for the most part. (Free Trade)

There is no such thing as free trade. It has cost the American Citizens their livelyhood, Manufacturing base, Wealth, and Independence. We are now dependent on the rest of the world for our goods so therefore dependent on their good graces.

Quote Originally Posted by Schaide View Post
    The U.S. was originally funded from the U.S. Treasury that embodied the U.S. Customs Service. The U.S. Customs Service collected duties on Imported Goods (primary source of income for the United States at that time). I'm not sure when the U.S. Treasury and U.S. Customs service came into being, i'm sure it's easy to look up.

Taxation of income from citizens was originally supposed to be a short term tax to help pay for the war efforts. Once taxation of the citizens started it was the beginning of being Tax Serfs to the government.

The U.S. Customs Service no longer collects duties on imported goods for the most part. (Free Trade)

There is no such thing as free trade. It has cost the American Citizens their livelyhood, Manufacturing base, Wealth, and Independence. We are now dependent on the rest of the world for our goods so therefore dependent on their good graces.

As in "perpetual war?"..........
    We used to spend our days doing and making for ourselves. Now we leave the house and earn credits that we trade for the things we used to make ourselves. Some would argue that that is easier and more convenient than working in your own fields and making your own soap.

"Your tongue plots destruction, like a sharp razor, you worker of deceit."
    Psalm 52:2

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.
    Marcus Aurelius

Good stuff here!