Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Would like Authentic Mexican recipes.

Default Would like Authentic Mexican recipes.

We love Mexican food. I do lots of ethnic style cooking as we love trying new things and I enjoy cooking so much. I would love some true Portugese recipes too. MY Grandaughter In Law is over there, but she doesn't get into cooking, so no matter how many times I ask her to inquire for recipes from her friends there, she doesn't do it. I would really appreciate it. AL

Here's one and it's super easy
    Enchiladas

get sour cream and cream cheese mix it together equal amounts
    then you can use enchilada sauce or ro tel or salsa or picanti sauce
    mix that with the cream cheese and sour cream set aside

then u can use ground meat or chicken or pork or any left over's u have
    cook the meat if its not cooked then add taco seasoning to it and cook according to package directions

then mix it all together and use either corn or flour tortillas and stuff, pour the remaining over top and add cheese pop it into oven ( on either 400 if u want the bottom crunchy or 350 the other way) till cheese melts as it's already cooked before hand so all your doing is melting cheese on top that's it. super simple

wind
    Last edited by winddancer144; 05-16-2010 at 03:23 PM. Reason: forgot to say put in oven

Proper Beans
    (a combination of the methods from the Terrazzos family & a friend from the South west)

Take about 1 to 2 cups of dry pinto or kidney beans and cover them with cold water in pan with a lot of room for expansion.

Soak overnight, then drain water out in a colander and rise beans

Refill with cold water (cover beans and a bit) bring to a rolling boil then simmer for about an hour with nothing added.

When beans are starting to get soft add 1tsp of salt and a piece of bacon/ham/ham bone and simmer for about three hours (check for dryness and add more water as needed) - this makes plain beans

Or add satueed onions and garlic, along with the salt and bacon/ham/ham bone; this was my friend J. Terrazzos grandmother's method, she would also turn the heat up and down, sometimes even turning it off, over several hours of cooking.

When I got a solid fuel stove, I discovered that this is exactly what happens on a turf/wood stove when you cook beans as you move them around, from the back of the stove to the hot spot and then back to the back of the stove.

My family prefers the plain bean version (which can also be cooked with variable heat) but I use Mrs. Terrazzo's version with vegetarian beans, except I leave out the port products. The onion and garlic do pretty well on their own and taste pretty nice, though I like them better with the meat myself.

DC
    expatriate Californian living in rural Ireland with husband, dogs, horses. garden and many, many cats

I miss my wood cook stove. You could have all kinds of things cooking for hours/simmering/boiling depending on where you placed it over the fire. Mmmmm sure do miss that. These beans would be so easy that way. thanks everyone. AL

Default Easy...

Beans.
    Cheese.
    Tortilla.

Optional:
    Tomato, lettuce, guacamole, greasy chopped meat, peppers hot enough to do welding.

There you go.

you can start by using cabbage instead of lettuce. completely changes any dish you would normally use lettuce in,tacos,etc.

and it is authentic..very rarely do they use lettuce in mexico .

Default breakfast tostadas

More inspired than authentic, this is one of my favorite preparations.

Spread thin (1/4" or less) layer of refried beans (don't have to be preheated) onto a raw corn tortilla, top with shredded cheese and diced green chile(optional), sprinkle with salt. Spray a cookie sheet with your choice of cooking spray and cook the topped tortillas in a 400 degree preheated oven until cheese is melted and tortilla crisps up. Maybe 10-15 minutes or so. Top finished tortillas with a fried egg done to your liking. You can top with a little salsa if desired.
    there's things that gnaw on a man worse than dying

Quote Originally Posted by MinnesotaSmith View Post
    Beans.
    Cheese.
    Tortilla.

Optional:
    Tomato, lettuce, guacamole, greasy chopped meat, peppers hot enough to do welding.

There you go.
    I use scallions and sour cream too....my this dish looks so pretty when I put it on the table (I always make extra taco's with cheese toasted in oven and split and placed on side for extra finger dipping) Now What about SPICES??? AL

J303...sounds good, i haven't tried it that way yet.....Dilli...hubby won't let me in the house with cabbage I happen to love it, but i have to confess, I cook mainly for him. (not me). However, if my girth in any example, I should be doing it the other way around AL

wife was with a mexican for many years,spent time in mexico and is a excellent authentic mexican cook. she wouldnt dream of using lettuce in place of cabbage..

too bad your hubby wont allow it, it really makes a mexican dish,you aint never had a taco or tostada till ya have had it with fresh cabbage on it..