Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Would like Authentic Mexican recipes.

Quote Originally Posted by MinnesotaSmith View Post
    The grease and the hot stuff are expected to suffice. Don't see much garlic, oregano, thyme, rosemary, saffron, curry, etc. in Mexican dishes that I've ever eaten AFAIK...
    they probably had adobe seasoning in them which is a combination of those spices.

K-
    • “I am not afraid, because I was born to do this."

Joan of Arc
    Mark 8:38 - Whosoever therefore shall be ashamed of me and of my words in this adulterous and sinful generation; of him also shall the Son of man be ashamed, when he cometh in the glory of his Father with the holy angels.

Quote Originally Posted by packyderms_wife View Post
    btw is she heating up the cabbage or just using it raw? Either way we LOVe cabbage in this house!
    raw, use it just as you would lettuce.
    btw, lilfarmchic is wife..

I did not mention Adobo because it is a spice mix, but almost all Mexican dishes have it or the original spices in them (I mean savory dishes of course).

Chile Verde - from a Co-Worker in Colorado's family recipe

Co-worker used to bring this to work about once a month and we all loved it so I asked her how to make it and this is what she told me, she was from a very old Mexican-American family (as in probably in US since the Land Grant days of Spain). It is a very South Western, but similar to what would be eaten in the border areas of Mexico.

1 pork Roast cooked and shredded and/or 1 Cooked Chicken de-boned and shredded
    (a mix works well and is useful to make extra if you are making tamales)

Cook until golden one or two chopped onions

Add some chopped garlic but be careful not to burn

Cut up and lightly cook either de-seeded medium to hot green chilies and/or use the canned ones if you can not get fresh

Add a few cut up fresh tomatillos if you have them, or a can can be added afterwards

Now, add the meat and the vegetables to simmering stock either left over from cooking the meat, canned or even water with bullion

Add about 1tsp cumin and oregano or just use 1 tsp Adobo, you can add some salt at this point but it is best to wait until it is almost done.

Cook together for many hours at a low simmer, until flavors have all blended, sauce should be green if you were careful and used green chilies.

Salt to taste and serve over rice, as a sauce over burritos or add melted cheese for Chile con quesso.

True chili verde is never made with beans, but we gringos can sometimes add white beans if we want.

Like other chilies, you can do variations with flat beer for part of the liquid and if you can't get tomatillos (I can't and they won't grow here either) you can either use green tomatoes or just add extra peppers.

My Native Elder friend makes a similar dish based on Cherokee cooking (meets California I suspect) which adds corn or homeny about 10 minutes before serving.

You vary the heat of any version by the types of chilies you use.

If you use deep red chilies and red tomatoes, you will get a pork/chicken chili rojo, which is also good and sometimes contains beans (but is more often used as a sauce or bean less meat dish, chili rojo is often made with shredded beef).
    expatriate Californian living in rural Ireland with husband, dogs, horses. garden and many, many cats

Well since I live (born and raised) in the SW I will chime in...

Mexican food varies from region to region...for instance I live in NM but 8 mile from the TX border...our version of Mexican food is different that of Las Cruces to the South of me or Albuquerque/Santa Fe to the Northwest of me.

I love Tex Mex food of all kinds and we cook some sort of mexican dish of some sort probably at least once a week.

One of our favorites is green chilie stew..made with Hatch green chilies...they are grown right here in NM and are reknown world wide.(but that's a different story)

I take a pork steak (it's cheaper than chops) and cut into bite size pieces. Sautee it with some onion and garlic
    Add a can of rotel (chili and tomatoes)
    add a few chopped peeled potatoes and cover...simmer till potatoes are finished
    Thicken the soup part with cornstarch
    top with cheese (optional)
    Serve with warm tortillas

AL...the more mexican food you cook you will find what type you love the best...I don't like hardly any BAJA type of Mexi food but I love Tex-Mex seasonings...then when you eat up in Northern NM such as Santa Fe...their Native culture has blended with the mexi culture so the food is sooooooo
    different.

The best thing about Mexican food is that I can add more (fill in blank) to it if I have unexpected company and it's fairly inexpensive and you can adjust it to your tastebuds if you cook it.

My oleman lived in Las Cruces NM (near El Paso)for 20 years before we married so we compromised on seasonings over the years...we moved to Cruces for a while so I didn't have spice choices when we would eat out, but I learned to like some things...now that we live farther north 300 miles in tex-mex country the food seems "normal"...
    Wow if you cook all these recipes, it will be a hot time in your kitchen this summer! but it will be delicious!

I'm down in south TX, near the gulf. Round here it's probably Tex-Mex but everyone just calls it Mexican, so there's no telling how much of it's "authentic". Not too spicy, mostly we go with jalapenos and chilis, and it's what the guy at the meat market calls 'pot cookin'. Meaning, see what's in the fridge and throw it all in a pot/skillet.

The usual suspects are chicken, pork, beans, rice, fideo, potatoes, tomatoes, chilis, onion, garlic, sweet peppers, jamon (salt pork, but could mean bacon or ham), chorizo, eggs, corn, lemon, cilantro and cumin. If you're eating something you don't recognize as any of the former, don't ask. Tortillas are used like people up north use white bread, to wrap up bits off the plate into quickie tacos or to make sure you sopped up all the gravy. Brisket is its own food group. Pico de gallo goes on everything.

Horchata

Ingredients

* 2 quarts hot water
    * 1/2 cup white sugar
    * 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
    * 1 cup long grain rice
    * 1 cup milk
    * ice cubes, for serving

Directions

1. Pour sugar, cinnamon, and rice into hot water; stir until sugar dissolves. Cover, and let stand at room temperature for at least 3 hours, but preferably overnight.
    2. Stir in milk, then puree with a hand blender, or in batches in a standing blender until the rice resembles fine sand. Strain through several layers of cheesecloth, or through a very fine strainer. Serve over ice.

Hi Again Everyone...Muchos Gracias...did I say that right?? I LOVE Salse Verde. I can get everything on this list including fresh tomatillos. I have stacks of green enchillada sauce in cans in my prep stuff. We love this the best. I have never tried the tomatillos fresh, just afraid I would mess it up I guess. I make really, really good schredded (pulled pork with a vinegar base). I am not much on sweet stuff. Funny too cuz I am a wee bit round. I have just printed all this out and will take it with me when we grocery shop next week. Fresh tomatillos on the list. I think I have everything else. Whee !! Happy is me. Hubby will be too he loves all of it that I can make. I keep tweeking and it keeps getting better and better. Thanks for all the input and help. We really appreciate it. I'll let you know how I make out with the fresh tomatillos next time. Hugs to all Al

AL...just want to appologize for not posting anything from my daughter yet in the way of recipes. I haven't talked to her since I said that on the other thread, but as soon as I do, I'll get some for ya'!

She

Dh grew up on the border in west Texas. He speaks tex-mex, his best friends were all mexicans and the women who watched him while his mom worked were all mexicans. These recipes came from them, but I also understand that different places in Mexico have different variations on the recipes:

tacos - brown meat and onions, add salt and pepper. According to him, they do not use taco seasoning in Mexico. Fry corn tortillas just until soft, pat dry and use those for the tacos (flour shells are only for burritos).

Pintos - soak beans over night. Change the water and water the plants with the bean water. Add bacon or salt pork and simmer several hours (the older the beans the longer they have to cook). About halfway through add Mortons Chili Blend (I believe it is a mix of cumin, chili powder, cayenne), and salt. Continue cooking until the beans are fork tender. There should not be a lot of liquid - just some. Put the beans in flour tortillas, mash them a bit with a fork, add some asadero (or monterrey jack) and onions and you have bean burritos. You can also just eat them as a side dish, or spoon them over cornbread

Red chili - take the dried red chili pods, (12 for a small batch) and cover with an inch or so of water over the tops. Add a clove of garlic. Boil 45 minutes or so, then let cool. Run the chilis and water through the blender, then through a seive to remove seeds and skins. This should be thick enough to use, if it is not make a gravy starter with beef fat and flour (no more than a quarter cup!) and thicken it like gravy - but this will cut the heat of the sauce. Salt it - and then salt it some more - until you think it has way too much salt. When you taste it, if it is bitter add more salt - the salt cuts the bitter.

Use that red chili over enchiladas (traditionally, red sauce is used over cheese enchiladas and green sauce over meat, but I mix it up)

carne asada - several different ways you can cook your roast - pork or beef, but lean - you can grill it, roast it, or cube it and then fry it. Either way, brown the meat, cover with red chili and simmer until tender. Serve in flour tortillas with cheese and onion

chili rellenos - take anaheim chilis. Cut off the stems and use a small, thin, knife to remove the membranes and tap out seeds. Traditionally they are roasted on a grill until black and the skin is bubbling. Some people fry them, but they splatter everywhere and don't have that smoked flavor. Either way, once the skin is black and peeling, put them in cold water for a few minutes, then peel them carefully. lay on towels to dry a bit, then stuff with asadero. Asadero is hard to find, and expensive, and most restaurants now use monterrey jack - I use longhorn colby which is not traditional, but we like it. Anyway, cut the cheese in long thin strips and stuff the chilis to the top. Make a batter with 1 egg for every 2-3 chilis, 1/4 can of evaporated milk per dozen eggs, and enough flour to make the batter as thick as you like it. I like mine thick enough that it stays on the chili well, but some like it so thin you can see the chili through it - matter of preference. salt, salt, salt - test the amount of salt and the heat of the oil by dropping batter in and then tasting it cooked. Dip the stuffed chilis in the batter, then put in hot oil - don't put more than a couple/three in at a time or it cools the oil down and you'll have greasy rellenos.

Green chili

3-5 annaheims
    3-5 jalapenos
    1/2 handful fresh parsley
    4-6 green onions
    1 large onion
    3 clove garlic
    3 stalk celery
    2 c small white beans, soaked or canned
    12-14 tomatillos
    olive oil
    2 types meat - I use chicken and pork, but goat/lamb are also options
    broth (chicken is best, but vegetable or turkey will work)

cube and brown the meat in olive oil. cook meat, 1/3 of the peppers, the large onion, garlic, and celery for an hour or two in the broth. if using soaked beans, add them, too, and cook until they are almost tender. Process the another third of the peppers, and 3-5 tomatillos in a blender or food processor, pour it in. Chop and add the rest of the peppers, the green onions, and the rest of the tomatillos and add to the chili. Simmer about an hour, salt and pepper to taste

Flour Tortillas
    5 1/2 c flour
    6 T crisco
    4 T lard (all lard is traditional, but I use part crisco as a preference)
    2 t salt
    3/4 c hot water

combine flour and fat with fingers (a mixer makes them too tough). Dissolve the salt in the hot water and add to the flour - again, mix by hand. Knead to smooth, then divide into 24-30 balls depending on how large you want your tortillas. Let the dough rest at least 30 minutes.

roll out on seasoned wood cutting board or tortilla board with a heavy wooden rolling pin. fry on dry cast iron griddle, with no fat, until lightly brown in spots.

the dough can be kept in balls (covered with plastic or a dry towel) in the refrigerator and fried up as needed. That is traditional, so there is always dough in the fridge and fresh tortillas a few minutes away. Here, they never last that long, LOL.

I have more if you want them....
    We on this continent should never forget that men first crossed the Atlantic not to find soil for their ploughs but to secure liberty for their souls. ~Robert J. McCracken

"I do not believe that the power and duty of the General Government ought to be extended to the relief of individual suffering...to the end that the lesson should be constantly enforced that, though the people support the Government, the Government should not support the people." Grover Cleveland