Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Would like Authentic Mexican recipes.

Quote Originally Posted by packyderms_wife View Post
    Process only five minutes??? I would have figured 15 with the peppers and all.

K-
    I didn't look closely at this recipe time when I posted. I guess I left the one off when I typed it onto my recipe card format. I can assure you I wouldn't process for only 5 minutes and I would encourage that no one else would either.

Default Chili Verde Recipe

Here's my go to recipe for Chile Verde....

Ingredients
    4 pounds pork butt or shoulder, trimmed of fat and cut into 2-inch cubes
    2 teaspoons salt
    1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
    Flour for dredging
    1/4 cup vegetable oil
    3 yellow onions
    2 green bell peppers, cut into 1-inch cubes
    2 Anaheim or Poblano chiles, cut into 1-inch cubes
    2-3 jalapenos, seeds removed, and finely chopped
    3 garlic cloves, peeled and finely chopped
    1 1/2 pounds tomatillos, roasted, peeled and chopped
    1 tablespoon dried oregano
    2 teaspoons ground cumin
    2 tablespoons coriander seeds, crushed and soaked in a scant amount of water
    2 bay leaves1 bunch cilantro leaves, cleaned and chopped
    4 cups chicken stock (NO MORE, no matter how dry it looks)

Instructions
    Season the pork meat generously with salt and pepper, lightly flour. Heat oil in a heavy-bottomed skillet over medium high heat and brown pork chunks well in small batches, on all sides. Lift pork out of pan and place in a wide soup pot.
    Discard fat and place the onions and peppers in the same skillet and sweat over moderate heat, stirring occasionally until limp, about 5 minutes.
    Add all of the chiles and cook an additional 3-4 minutes, then add the garlic and cook 1-2 minutes more.Add the Sauteed vegetables, chopped tomatillos, dried herbs and cilantro to the meat, cover with the chicken stock and bring up to a boil and reduce to a slight simmer. Cook for 2-3 hours uncovered or until the pork is fork tender.Adjust the seasoning to taste with salt and pepper. Serve with red rice for a delightful contrast.

Step by step and pics are at http://liteluvr.blogspot.com/2009_01...80774541553695
    "I prefer peace. But if trouble must come, let it come in my time, so that my children can live in peace.
    Thomas Payne

Default Chile Rojo

And here's the companion recipe for Pork Chile Rojo....

INGREDIENTS
    4 lb pork shoulder cut in to 1 inch chunks. (Remove chunks of fat)
    60 ounces chicken broth or 4- 14 1/2 ounce cans.
    2 TB veg oil
    1 big onion chopped
    6 to 10 cloves garlic chopped
    2 to 3 TB ground ancho chiles or pasilla
    2 TB chile powder
    1 TB ground cumin
    1 TS dried thyme
    1 TB Mexican Oregano
    1 TS salt
    1 big 28 oz can diced tomatoes, pureed
    1/2 cup fresh chopped cilantro
    Lime Wedges
    Sour Cream

DIRECTIONS
    Put the pork pieces in a pot with one can chicken broth and a cup of water (I used two cans homemade beef broth). Bring to a boil and cover on low heat for 40 minutes. Reserve the meat in the broth off heat in another bowl.
    In a big pot, heat the oil and fry the onions two minutes. Add the garlic and cook till onions and garlic gets limp. Add the carrots, ground chile, chili powder,oregano, cumin, thyme, and salt to the pot and cook 30 seconds.
    Add remaining chick broth (I used two cans), cilantro, and reserved pork and broth. Bring to a boil and cook over medium heat for 25 to 30 minutes. (I actually cooked it for about 2 hours)
    Serve with chopped cilantro, lime wedges (a MUST!), chopped onions, oregano and sour cream as a side. Tasty-Tasty. Makes a lot, you'll have leftovers. Enough for 10 people .

blog post w pics and play by play at

http://liteluvr.blogspot.com/2009_01...33093698546195
    "I prefer peace. But if trouble must come, let it come in my time, so that my children can live in peace.
    Thomas Payne

Default Sausage Tamales

And this one is KILLER...

Sausage Tamales

Ingredients
    1 pound of pork shoulder, ground.
    2 tsp sugar
    1 tsp cumin
    3 tsp salt
    2 tsp black pepper
    2 tablespoons of freshly ground cilantro
    3 tablespoons freshly ground jalapenos.
    2 dozen dried corn husks (Soak in warm water until pliable.)

Instructions
    Combine the first 6 ingredients and let rest in refrigerator for a couple of hours. Once meat mixture is cool form into 1/3 cup rolls. Then wrap in corn husks. Smoke or cook corn husk rolls until the internal meat temperature reaches 150 degrees.
    Thomas Payne

Default Enchilada Sauces

And cuz you gots to have sauces....

Green Chile Enchilada Sauce
    1 c. chopped green chili peppers
    3 c. tomato juice
    1 med. size diced onion
    1 tsp. ground oregano
    1 tsp. ground cominos, cumin
    1/2 tsp. pure garlic powder
    1 tsp. salt
    Saute the onions until soft with all spices and green chilies. Add juice, and simmer 15 minutes. Pour mixture into a blender and blend until smooth. When cooling in a refrigerator do not cover.

JALAPENO ENCHILADA SAUCE:
    8 to 12 Jalapeno peppers, canned with tops cut off and seeds removed
    1 c. chopped green chili peppers
    3 c. tomato juice
    1 med. size diced onion
    1 tsp. ground oregano
    1 tsp. salt
    Saute the onions until soft with all spices and green chilies. Add juice, and simmer 15 minutes. Pour mixture into a blender and blend until smooth. When cooling in a refrigerator do not cover.

Red Chili Enchilada Sauce
    1/2 to 3/4 cup ground red chili powder
    3 c. tomato juice
    1 med. size diced onion
    1 tsp. ground oregano
    1 tsp. salt
    Saute the onions until soft with all spices. Add juice, and simmer 15 minutes. Pour mixture into a blender and blend until smooth. When cooling in a refrigerator do not cover.

Chilebrown's Chicken Enchilada Recipe Sauce
    1. 1 cup of chile powder (The best you can find)
    2. 1 teaspoon of cumin
    3. 2 teaspoons of salt
    4. 2 teaspoon of sugar
    5. 2 strips of bacon chopped fine
    6. 4 cups of water
    7. 1/2 onion chopped fine
    Cook bacon and onion for 5 minutes. Add flour and cook for 3 minutes stirring constantly.Then add the water add spices and simmer for 30 minutes. The sauce should thicken.
    Take 1/3 cup of sauce and mix with your chicken. Use a casserol pan and coat bottom with a cup of sauce. Take tortillas and roll with chicken. Place in pan. Cover with sauce and cheese. Bake at 350 degrees for 1/2 hour.

Red Chili Enchilada Sauce
    5 oz. dried red chiles
    3 c. very hot water
    1/3 c. white wine vinegar (you could use red wine or cider vinegar)
    1 tsp. sugar
    1 tsp. salt
    1 tsp. Mexican oregano
    1/2 tsp. ground cumin
    1/8 t. ground cloves
    3 large garlic cloves
    The chiles should be toasted lightly before making the sauce, both to reduce some of their bitterness and to enhance their flavor. Cut them open with scissors or a sharp knife and remove the stem, seeds, and interior ribs. Toast them in a skillet (heated to medium-hot) just until the skin blisters slightly and they become fragrant. DO NOT blacken or burn them. At most, they should give up an occasional and light wisp of smoke.
    Put the toasted chiles in a bowl and cover them with very hot water (use a small plate to weigh them down and keep them submerged). Let them soak for about half an hour, until they're nice and soft. Transfer the chiles and about half of the soaking liquid to a container suitable for puréeing in (like the pitcher of a blender or the bowl of a food processor...or just a tall plastic bucket, if you're using a stick blender as I do) and add the vinegar, seasonings and garlic.
    Purée the mix until it's as smooth as you can get it, adding more (all, if necessary) of the soaking liquid. It should be thinner than you might think, almost runny – about the consistency of steak sauce. You can use it just like this, or strain it for a slightly more refined sauce.
    Thomas Payne

Dear Lite....I am printing and drooling....almost Thank you very much. AL

Warhall, don't be silly...I used to eat anything ....and I do mean anything that my grandpa ate and that included tongues, feet...etc. (Now that was REAL love).

The salsa I make is made in 2 parts and combined.
    The base
    1 Can of stewed tomatoes(or fresh ones that have been stewed). Make sure they arent the italian kind and are not sweet.
    2 or more Tbsp pickled jalapenos(gives it a bit of tanginess)
    2 or more tsp oregano(Im gonna try mexican oregano now thanks)
    Salt. Dont be afraid to make it salty.
    1 tsp Dried red chili flakes
    Blend well.

The rest is chopped tomatoes, onions, jalapenos, anaheims, garlic, cilantro(no stems).

Combine. It gets better after it sits for a few hours.

Quote Originally Posted by Animal Lover View Post
    Dear Lite....I am printing and drooling....almost Thank you very much. AL
    I printed this off today as hubby fixed (??) I hope the printer. Can't wait to try it. Next time I go for groceries. Actually, after reading it again, I only need to get the cilantro. I love the tate of it. YUM. Thanks everyone for sharing your recipes with me.

I can't tell you all how much I love these recipes, thanks to all for shareing. Now there is a receipe that I so want. In San Antonio they make puffy taco's. I would like someone to take me through it from taking the masa out of the bag and then all the way through to the most delicous taco's ever. I bought the masa, Now what?
    In a mag there was a article from Ray's Drive inn. It says as with any other fried taco shell, this is Masa [corn] dough dunked in a deep fryer , it might have a smidge of leavening, though, making it puff right up like a beignet. The result is a delectable , crunchy shell embracing a carefully seasoned filling of shredded chicken or beef, topped with fresh lettuce, tomato, and cheese.
    Now all I need is someone to take me through from beginning to end.
    PS, have you ever read the ingredients on store bought taco shells, not the cooked ones, but the ones in a dozen in a bag flat. They last in fridge forever, and I mean forever.
    The ant works for his food, I think God expects the same of us.