Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Would like Authentic Mexican recipes.

Just checked the blog, the apple arapas are most certainly made from the Venezuelan style masa and are similar to sweet arapas I had during the Christmas Season in the Andes. I was in a town near the Venezuelan/Colombian border and they are a special food of the area. To this day I make most of my own arapas with eggs, which is an Andean trait, in Caracas (and on the coast) they make them with just water.

When I visited in the 1970's, the Colombians used more flour products than Masa but that has probably changed as imports are easier and it may be a regional thing, the closer to Venezuela the more likely the use of Masa.
    expatriate Californian living in rural Ireland with husband, dogs, horses. garden and many, many cats

Venezuelan Arapas (Corn Breads)

1 Cup Masa para Arapas
    1/2 to 1 cup water (you have to experiment, start with lower amount)
    1 tsp salt
    1 tbsp melted butter (again options some regions don't use oil)
    (optional 1 to 2 eggs as part of the liquid)

For "classic" arapas use a 3 part process (sounds more complicated than it is)

First you mix the liquid and masa until you get the right combination to make a dough. Divide dough into balls (about 2 per cup or Masa) which you can flatten as described in the Colombian blog or just use the palm of your hand. You don't wan them too flat, they are supposed to about 1/2 inch thick and round.

Now, take a pan of boiling water (like bagles) and drop the arapas in and leave them about 30 seconds until they float to the top. Remove and place on paper towels to drain.

Heat a cast iron griddle and brown slightly dried arapas on each side on a moderately high heat (the idea is a hard crust, not cooking all the way through).

Finally, place on cookie sheet in a moderate to high oven (about 375) and cook for 20 minutes or until cracks appear in breads.

Serve by splitting in two and stuff with butter, cheese, beans, meat etc.

Alternatively, you can simply either deep fry these after forming the dough (a popular street food, split and served with cheese or beans). Or you can "cheat" and simply cook either in the griddle or the oven, however, they tend to have a tough texture if the water step is skipped. For griddle cooking, turn heat way down after browning and cover with a lid.

Or continue looking at Colombian recipe blog and see her instructions here with photos lol!
    expatriate Californian living in rural Ireland with husband, dogs, horses. garden and many, many cats

Quote Originally Posted by Maca Root View Post
    Animal Lover,
    Here is a link to Traditional Columbian Recipes with pictures that I think you will really enjoy. I like Mexican food, but I love Columbian food - enjoy - maca root

http://www.mycolombianrecipes.com/
    Maca Root, I made Columbian Pork Chops and saved some of the marinade for another meal later.

I made the recipe exactly as written even tho' it seemed odd to boil the chops. But, they were wonderful. I thought there would be too much garlic, but again, it wasn't too garlicky either. Go figure. But I did change one thing and I would anyone else to do the same thing since I don't have access to an outdoor grill: I put the chops once boiled, into a fry pan with a pat of butter. Turned the heat high. Browned both sides and when they were the way I wanted them, I added a small can of fruit with the sauce that they came in....put the lid on the pan and cooked about 5 minutes. Perfection. Juice and fruit served on top of the chops and they were lovely. Mashed potatoes and peas. Wonderful, different meal. Thanks Maca Root for the link.