Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Gettysburg Address---By Abraham Lincoln

Default The Gettysburg Address---By Abraham Lincoln

POSTER'S NOTE: It is in my honest opinion, that the reverence that many Americans hold for Abraham Lincoln is greatly misplaced. In my opinion, Mr Lincoln did much damage the rights of the individual states, and very well have started the snowball effect of the bureaucratic "big government".
    I simply post this as a historical document for educational purpose.
    __________________________________________________ ______

THE GETTYSBURG ADDRESS

Four score and seven years ago our fathers brought forth on this continent, a new nation, conceived in Liberty, and dedicated to the proposition that all men are created equal.

Now we are engaged in a great civil war, testing whether that nation, or any nation so conceived and so dedicated, can long endure. We are met on a great battle-field of that war. We have come to dedicate a portion of that field, as a final resting place for those who here gave their lives that that nation might live. It is altogether fitting and proper that we should do this.

But, in a larger sense, we can not dedicate -- we can not consecrate -- we can not hallow -- this ground. The brave men, living and dead, who struggled here, have consecrated it, far above our poor power to add or detract. The world will little note, nor long remember what we say here, but it can never forget what they did here. It is for us the living, rather, to be dedicated here to the unfinished work which they who fought here have thus far so nobly advanced. It is rather for us to be here dedicated to the great task remaining before us -- that from these honored dead we take increased devotion to that cause for which they gave the last full measure of devotion -- that we here highly resolve that these dead shall not have died in vain -- that this nation, under God, shall have a new birth of freedom -- and that government of the people, by the people, for the people, shall not perish from the earth.
    When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. --Thomas Jefferson

Lincoln started the dismantling of the Constitution.

That war was NOT a "civil war." The southern states, by majority vote of their citizens, voted to leave the Union and form a new government. Lincoln's war was therefore an illegal invasion of a sovereign nation.

I'm disgusted to see someone from North Carolina quote this speech.

Quote Originally Posted by fruit loop
    Lincoln started the dismantling of the Constitution.

That war was NOT a "civil war." The southern states, by majority vote of their citizens, voted to leave the Union and form a new government. Lincoln's war was therefore an illegal invasion of a sovereign nation.

I'm disgusted to see someone from North Carolina quote this speech.
    I'll have you know , I have no love whatsoever for Lincoln, I simply posted this as a historical reference. This is the Library, where you post such articles. I never said I agreed with him.
    Lincoln was in fact the beginning of the end of state's rights.
    I never disputed that. I was merely posting this due to it historical signifigance.
    You disgust me for not even asking me why I posted it to begin with.
    Haow dare you pass judgement upon me and question my loyalty as a citizen of the occupied Confederacy?
    When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. --Thomas Jefferson

Oops.

I am terribly sorry for misunderstanding, which I definitely did. Deo Vindice, sir, and please excuse me. I have a crow in the fryer.

apology accepted.

I wish you good day, sir.

The Great Plains of one of the Dakotas...

Default God's and Generals

The film God's and Generals was awesome. Living in "the North" I do believe we did not get the full truth (imagine that) in our high school or college. Looking and learning more on my own now, I can say, indeed, there certainly is alot of "revisions" and half-truths in history. Anyhow, I would assume that anyone who saw God's and Generals must have loved the fine acting of Robert Duvall and the gentleman who portrayed Stonewall Jackson. That movie moved me deeply, made me think differently..It was great and Ted Turner did one thing right by making that film!
    "Some stories are true that never happened"
    -- Eli Wiesel

TNT has optioned the last book in the series, "The Last Full Measure" for a miniseries. Robert Duvall is supposed to come back to play General Lee, and Stephen Lang (Pickett in "Gettysburg", Jackson in "Gods and Generals") is going to play General John Gordon.

The Great Plains of one of the Dakotas...

Smile

The casting in Gods and Generals was excellent and it really is one of the best movies ever..It was hardly ever out in theateres up here except a few and only a few weeks. I bought my own copy to teach my children from..They are in Grade School, and we've watched it and taught them with it...It is amazing to me that Ted Turner funded that whole deal from my understanding. I think that he did a good deed by doing that...He must be a southerner himself...I am watching Gettysburg right now, and, I miss seeing Lang and Duvall in the casting of this one, and also Jeff Daniels not in this one.
    Anyhow, do many sentiments run still in the South that they are "occupied"? Up here in the "North" I would imagine most here don't really understand in their hearts about that war in the same way as anyone who lives and grew up in any of the southern states. Anyhow, this may belong elsewhere? Is there a book "Gods and Generals"? I would like to get a copy. I still think there is a different element of genteel-ness that is not up here.
    Thx for the posts and the information. I had never read the Gettysburg Address until now. Always something to learn.
    Last edited by Dahlia; 04-24-2008 at 09:55 PM. Reason: wrong name of actor

Abraham Lincoln (spit) was not only a Constitution shredding warmonger, but he was also a hypocrite.

"Any people, anywhere, being inclined and having the power, have the right to rise up and shake off the existing government, and form a new one that suits them better. This is a most valuable and most sacred right - a right which we hope and believe is to liberate the world. Nor is this right confined to cases in which the whole people of an existing government may choose to exercise it. Any portion of such people, that can may revolutionize and make their own of so many of the territory as they inhabit.

Abraham Lincoln
    January 12, 1848