Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Has anyone found a source for NON GMO..

Quote Originally Posted by Animal Lover View Post
    Thanks Stella Blue, I did see that on the Bob's Red Mill Isle at the main grocery store that we visit each week. I will go back and get it. It will ease my mind a bit. I don't use much at a time but still, I want to avoid GM if at all possible. (by the way, I picked up Jello cook vanilla pudding and read the label last week and it said it has GMO corn in it. I was shocked. I don't know why....but it did shock me. I don't use anything boxed or canned very often (except for preps), but jello to me is kind of like holy moley a kid thing...you know what I mean?? AL
    I can't believe they admitted that it contains GMO corn (the jello). If you can get Dr Oetker's brand stuff, they make pudding mixes that are pretty good. I also found a jello type thing at Whole Foods but haven't made it yet. I hope the tapioca works for you. This is a full-time battle, fighting back against GMOs!

Quote Originally Posted by Avandris View Post
    http://www.amazon.com/Rapunzel-Pure-...6116105&sr=8-2

That is the brand that I use. I buy it from Azure Standard though.
    Dang that's expensive, but I don't use much. And it comes from Austria.

I also use corn starch for bath powder.

Judy

You can order direct from Bob's Red Mill.

http://www.bobsredmill.com/

I'm lucky enough to live within an hour's drive from Bob's. Make a day out of going there, do shopping, have lunch there, take a baking class if possible. Yum!

drive

Wow Drive, you are so lucky. I still cannot locate non GMO. I keep looking in every new store I can get to. I just hate paying the postage for shipping. It always seems so high for small items. AL

I found it today: Rumford from Clabber Girl, Terra Haute, Indiana. Bought it and very happy. Nice Big Can of it. Yea!!! Now I know where to get it each time I need it. AL

Found this in an old recipe box:

Corn Starch

scrape corn into a large pot. drop the cobs in there, too, after all the corn is scraped off. When the pot is about half full, rub and squeeze the cobs until they are as dry as possible.

Put the cobs in more clean water, rubbing and squeezing again. Let it settle, pour all the starch together and strain through cheese cloth and then through flannel. Let it settle overnight.

There will be layers of white at the bottom, thick yellow in the middle, and then the water. remove the yellow stuff and pour clean water on the white. Mix it up, then let it settle again. When it is thoroughly settled, pour off the water and lay the starch out in shallow dishes in the sun to dry.

To use: moisten with cold water, then pour boiling water in to right consistency.
    We on this continent should never forget that men first crossed the Atlantic not to find soil for their ploughs but to secure liberty for their souls. ~Robert J. McCracken

"I do not believe that the power and duty of the General Government ought to be extended to the relief of individual suffering...to the end that the lesson should be constantly enforced that, though the people support the Government, the Government should not support the people." Grover Cleveland

Wow Micah, this is good in a pinch. Just have to get "good" corn. We need to see if we have any farmers markets around us yet. I would think there should be some. We are fairly rural little town but most people don't sell for some reason. I know I always gave my extra away. So maybe they are all taking care of their family and friends too. Which is also good to do. AL