Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ? about flour

Default ? about flour

What is the difference between all-purpose and regular flour, I's like to make some zuc.bread but don't have any all-purpose on wheat bread (King Arthur brand). Can I use this and add something extra-more soda or powder? thanks for you answer ahead of it.
    sunshine girl

all purpose and regular flour are the same thing. It just distinguishes it from other, specific, varieties such as self-rising or bread flour. You should be fine, and not have to add anything extra.
    We on this continent should never forget that men first crossed the Atlantic not to find soil for their ploughs but to secure liberty for their souls. ~Robert J. McCracken

"I do not believe that the power and duty of the General Government ought to be extended to the relief of individual suffering...to the end that the lesson should be constantly enforced that, though the people support the Government, the Government should not support the people." Grover Cleveland

Thank you Micah8, I wasn't sure as I use to always use all-purpose and now am trying to get away from the bleach flour. Is there any flour that doesn't contain gluten. Someone told me almond flour didn't. Is this true?

sunshine girl

Almond flour, rice flour, and potato flour are all non gluten... I'm sure there are others but those are the ones I can think of.
    Hey, where are we going? And why am I in this handbasket?

"Chances are, you're already surrounded by mindless, bloodthirsty, half-alive, subhuman wretches. An actual zombie apocalypse would just give you the chance to do something constructive about it."

Cake flour has low protein and high starch, good for cakes. Bread flour has high protein and low starch, good for bread. All purpose flour is in between, good for pie crusts and pastries, and ok for bread but not great for cakes.

Speaking of pie crusts and pastries, they depend very much on fat, which can be shortening, lard, or butter. Each of these makes a distinctly different product. Butter has the best flavor, lard makes the flakiest texture, and shortening is a vegetable product for people who don't care about flaky or tasty. It's ok to mix fats to give a combination of flavor, flakiness, and whatever the heck hydrogenated vegetable oil is good for.

Speaking of cakes, add some oil to your recipe; 1/4 cup will make your cake magically moist. Don't add any more than 1/4 cup or it will turn into pudding.

There you have everything I know about making bread, pastries, and cakes.

NOTE that I have celiacs disease and am supposedly allergic to wheat as well but I have found that my body responds totally differently to freshly ground wheat it doesn't make me deathly ill. I'm not sure why either.

FWIW

K-
    • “I am not afraid, because I was born to do this."

Joan of Arc
    Mark 8:38 - Whosoever therefore shall be ashamed of me and of my words in this adulterous and sinful generation; of him also shall the Son of man be ashamed, when he cometh in the glory of his Father with the holy angels.

so if I make zucchini bread with almond flour and 1/4 cup of oil the bread will beglutten free and moist?

Why not just use a recipe that's already formulated to be gluten free?

http://simplygluten-free.blogspot.co...chini-nut.html
    Treat everyone with politeness, even those who are rude to you - not because they are nice, but because you are. ~Author Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by packyderms_wife View Post
    NOTE that I have celiacs disease and am supposedly allergic to wheat as well but I have found that my body responds totally differently to freshly ground wheat it doesn't make me deathly ill. I'm not sure why either.

FWIW

K-

Wow sorry to hear that , do you think it’s some kind of processing chemical ?

Quote Originally Posted by Debra777 View Post
    Wow sorry to hear that , do you think it’s some kind of processing chemical ?
    artificial vitamins my kidneys cannot process them.

K-
    • “I am not afraid, because I was born to do this."

Joan of Arc
    Mark 8:38 - Whosoever therefore shall be ashamed of me and of my words in this adulterous and sinful generation; of him also shall the Son of man be ashamed, when he cometh in the glory of his Father with the holy angels.