Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Seitan, also known as wheatmeat

Default Seitan, also known as wheatmeat

I have a crapload of seitan recipes, but I don't want to bother posting them if none of you are interested.

Seitan is a meat analogue...very close to the real thing, at about 1/10th the price. It's made with seasoned wheat gluten, and in a lot of recipes, hard to tell from the real thing. I have a General Tso's chicken Seitan that is excellent.

So, I will see if I get any responses before posting recipes...I have a Po' Boy sandwich that is the messiest and about the yummiest sandwich on the planet. I am not a vegan, by any means, but we are on a budget, and sometimes this is as close to meat as we can get.

Please post both recipes. :)

Do you have a recipe for making Seitan, or do you have to prebuy it?

If so, where do you get it??

If you happen to know, how does it compare to something like Morningstar Crumbles?

I'm not vegan, but I used to love Morningstar Crumbles & ... I think it's Gardenburger that makes really good fake ribs. If you cook either of those in the stove (w/ oil for the crumbles) and get it caramelized, it really is like meat, and surprisingly yummy.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/Acts17Apologetics
    Shut yer sauce box, & focus yer audio, see?

General Tso's Seitan

Seitan;

1&1/2 cups wheat gluten
    1/4 cup chickpea flour (or any kind of bean flour, chickpea is best)
    1/4 nutritional yeast (this adds protein, as well as giving it a meaty flavor)
    1 Tb chicken boullion powder
    3/4 cup water (you might need more)
    1 tsp soy sauce

blend dry ingredients in a separate bowl, blend wet in separate bowl. Mix both, knead for about 5 to ten minutes...the longer you knead it, the meatier consistency it gets. You will end up with a pile of rubber that smell gross. I'm not kidding...but, trust me.

In a pot, mix two cups of water, 1Tb soy sauce, and 1 Tb of chicken boullion. Bring to a bare simmer. You do not want to boil seitan violently, or you will end up with huge globs of slimy crap. As it begins to heat up, rip off pieces about chicken McNugget sized, and drop them in the pot...simmer for about 30 minutes. strain them out of the broth, then deep fry til golden brown. I usually let them dry out a bit before frying.

Sauce;

1/2 C cornstarch
    1 and 1/4 C water
    1 and 1/2 tsp fresh garlic, minced
    1 and 1/2 tsp grated fresh ginger
    3/4 C sugar + 3 TBsp sugar
    1/2 C soy sauce
    1/4 cup vinegar
    1/4 cup sherry or rice wine
    1 tsp powdered chicken boullion

Stick it all in a jar, shake like hell. Boil in a pot, stirring constantly, til thick.

I usually stir fry some veggies, and mix it with the fried seitan. I serve it over rice, with a sprinkle of sesame seeds as a garnish.

The fried seitan is good all by itself, too...I can't keep any extra around here, it seems to get used for snacks.

Quote Originally Posted by DunDunDuuun View Post
    Do you have a recipe for making Seitan, or do you have to prebuy it?

If so, where do you get it??

If you happen to know, how does it compare to something like Morningstar Crumbles?

I'm not vegan, but I used to love Morningstar Crumbles & ... I think it's Gardenburger that makes really good fake ribs. If you cook either of those in the stove (w/ oil for the crumbles) and get it caramelized, it really is like meat, and surprisingly yummy.

I always make my own seitan. What they charge you for it in a store is just scandalous.

Default Po'boy

Start with this;

Crockpot Gluten Roast
    about 8+ servings
    2 c vital wheat gluten
    1/4 c peanut butter
    2 tablespoons Nutritional yeast
    2 teaspoons Cumin powder
    1 teaspoon Ground coriander
    1 teaspoon Garlic powder
    1/2 teaspoons Onion powder
    1/2 teaspoons Salt (I use 1 tsp of powdered beef boullion)
    1/2 teaspoons Black pepper
    1 cup broth or water
    1 tablespoon blackstrap molasses
    3 tablespoons Tamari (soy sauce or Bragg's Amino)
    1 tablespoon Vegetable oil
    1 1/4 cup Additional water
    1/4 c Cider vinegar
    1 tablespoon oil
    1 Clove garlic, sliced in half
    Cut peanut butter into gluten flour. Stir in nutritional yeast, cumin powder, coriander, garlic powder, onion powder, salt and pepper, mixing well.
    Mix tamari and oil with a cup of broth, stir into gluten mix. Knead into a rough ball (about 10 minutes by hand, or 6 minutes in a bread machine or food processor).
    To let the gluten develop, set aside 15-20 minutes (or overnight in the refrigerator, covered or in a large plastic baggie.)
    When ready to cook, place into a slow cooker (crock pot) that has been oiled or sprayed with non-stick spray.
    Mix additional hot water (1 & 1/4 c), molasses and cider vinegar and pour over gluten. (I also use about 2 tsp of beef boullion)
    Top gluten ball with olive oil or margarine and garlic halves.
    Cook covered in slow cooker on low setting for 5-7 hours (It definitely takes the longer time if cold to start with). If it begins to cook dry, add additional water/tamari mix.
    Slice thinly and serve as you would roast beef.

Lightly fry sliced pieces in a frying pan with a little bit of oil.

You will need;
    instant beef gravy...don't buy the cheap stuff, it tastes like crap...get McCormicks, or something good.

hoagie rolls (I use homemade ciabatta, but, whatever you have)
    sliced tomatoes
    lettuce

cook the fried seitan in the gravy (make the gravy according to the package directions) for a few minutes, til the gravy has thickened. Then make you a sandwich!

I also have a killer corned beef seitan I found on the internet, if anyone is interested. I made a few adjustments, but the result was so much like corned beef, it was amazing...and have you SEEN the cost of the real thing these days???

And I also found an Italian sausage seitan recipe that is so close, it's amazing. I served it to an avid meat eater friend of mine...after finding out the cost, he insisted that I make him a care package...LOL...I made him chicken seitan nuggets, roasted chicken flavored patties, beef flavored patties, and a couple of seitan beef roasts...oh, by the way, if you can find smoked hickory steak rub seasoning, you can make seitan taste so close to grilled hamburgers that you wouldn't believe it.

Please.... POST AWAY. I'm an avid meat lover, but I could always use an alternative, especially if meat gets hard to come by.
    "I prefer peace. But if trouble must come, let it come in my time, so that my children can live in peace.
    Thomas Payne

Please, keep the recipes coming, but also post how to make the seitan. Sounds like a good thing to know considering the amount of wheat some people store.
    We on this continent should never forget that men first crossed the Atlantic not to find soil for their ploughs but to secure liberty for their souls. ~Robert J. McCracken

"I do not believe that the power and duty of the General Government ought to be extended to the relief of individual suffering...to the end that the lesson should be constantly enforced that, though the people support the Government, the Government should not support the people." Grover Cleveland

Seitan??