Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Seitan, also known as wheatmeat

Default Seitan O' Greatness

I got this one from Post Punk Kitchen...this makes a really interesting lunch meat type seitan...my landlady adores it. This is a recipe that you can seriously mess with...this is the original...I suggest that you fix it once, then adjust to your taste. I might make it with a couple drops of liquid smoke next time. This would be great for growing boys, who are always hungry. It's cheap, tasty, and full of protein. Make 2...they aren't that big.

Ingredients:
    1.5 cups vital wheat gluten
    1/4 cup nutritional yeast (I also add 1/4 cup of some kind of bean flour...makes the consistency a little smoother, meatier)
    1 tsp salt (or boullion...chix or beef)
    2 tsp paprika
    1/4 tsp cinnamon (take it easy on this stuff, a scant tsp)
    1/4 tsp cumin
    1-2 tsp pepper (I use 2 tsp)
    1/4 tsp cayenne pepper (you can use 1/8 tsp if you like it less spicy) (I omit it all together)
    1/8 tsp allspice
    2 tsp garlic powder

3/4 cups water
    4 tbsp tomato paste (Now, I don't buy tomato paste...I end up using one or two TBS, then the rest goes to the crapper...I had cocktail sauce, it was the closest thing I had to tomato paste...you can also use ketchup, but for either, cut back to 2 TBS...too much vinegar makes it taste wonky. The horseradish in the cocktail sauce gave it a nice bite)
    1 tbsp tamari (or plain old soy sauce, or boullion)

2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil (oh, please...whatever you have in the house is fine...I've made it with canola)

2 tbsp vegetarian Worcestershire sauce (vegetarian Worcestershire? what the *^%$ is that? I use plain old Worcestershire...apparently, reg stuff has fish in it. And cut back to 1 TBS, unless you really like the stuff)

If it's too dry, add more water...these recipes aren't carved in stone.

Preheat oven to 325°.

In a large mixing bowl mix dry ingredients. Mix the rest of the ingredients (liquid ingredients) in a smaller mixing bowl. Whisk well until mixed.

Add the liquid ingredients to the dry ingredients. Mix well, then knead for a minute or two.. it doesn't need long.

Form into a log (6-8" long), wrap tightly in foil, twisting ends. Bake for 90 minutes. When done baking, unwrap and leave out to cool all the way. (Yeah...like anything gets to cool all the way in THIS house) Then wrap it foil or plastic and refrigerate. Slice to use as desired.

(Note: a lot of people seemed to have trouble with exploding aluminum foil...LOL...one girl ended up with a log that looked like a phallic symbol. I used a toaster oven, and didn't have any trouble...perhaps their heat got too high.)

I like it cold...landlady likes it fried and hot...take your pick.

OK, are you burnt out yet? I've got more recipes...anyone for seitan pierogies? Two dozen last about 3 days in this house...with only two of us here.

BTW...when I say seitan freezes well...that's COOKED seitan, not the raw stuff...I'm not sure how well the raw stuff freezes. It seems to have the same property as bread dough...if you can freeze bread dough, you can freeze raw seitan.

What I do, is pick a day that I'm going to cook, and make a crapload of various kinds of seitan, bag it up, and chunk most of it in the freezer. I adore those stupid seitan chicken nuggets from the General Tso's recipe, and I am out...so if the weather is crappy tomorrow, I will be in the kitchen all day.

Default I'm just learning to make gluten

from Learta Moulton's The Amazing Wheat Book and have success with a few doubts only because we're new to wheat meat and "expect" a different taste. Curious if you have ever used her book or not. I can't wait to try some of your recipes. I've got to do the italian sausage for DH as it is his favorite. Never heard it called seitan before...just found quick homemade gluten on the vegetarian resource group website...looks easier, like your recipes. Post on...I'll be back for more...

yes please post your recipeI have one but would like one that is tried and good.
    FAITH MAKES THINGS POSSIBLE -NOT EASY

I'd be interested in how to make it--please post.

What is nutritional yeast? I'm guessing it's different than regular baking yeast? These recipes sound really interesting, and I'm hoping to try some!

Sage,
    On that Italian Sausage recipe... have you tried to stuff that into casings?

I think that you could probably stuff it, but you might have to use collagen casings instead of natural, just for the extra strength. Seems like the casings would work to hold it all together, unless the stuff swells when it cooks....

Any thoughts?
    "I prefer peace. But if trouble must come, let it come in my time, so that my children can live in peace.
    Thomas Payne