Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Global Solar Oven?

I've had my Global Sun Oven for 3 years and I love it. So easy to use. I only have to move mine once or twice. I bake my dog's liver snaps in it because they smell so bad doing it in the house. Great for baking your pumpkins, squash, sweet taters etc. etc.

I didn't even know they made such a thing as a solar oven. WOW will be looking to get one very soon. Thanks gang

wd

That looks great! Do you have any recipies you can share, I am thinking of getting one of those.

I have a Sun Oven and love it. My favorite thing to cook in it is beans. I put about 2/3 cup of dried beans in a 1 qt canning jar. I put a garlic clove, onions or any other veggies or spices that I want in it. Fill up it with water leaving 2 inches at the top. I also add 1 tablespoon of oil to keep the beans from boiling over. I put the lid on the jar and set in the Sun Oven pointing south in the morning. When I come home from work I have a hot meal ready. The beans have been cooked long and slow and are perfect. I cover the jar with a dark square of cloth to keep the heat from reflecting out of the oven. Better than the crockpot and cleanup is much easier.

The oven heats to over 300F even in winter.

Another thing that is great to cook is potatoes. If I have extra potatoes that need cooking, I just set them on the shelf while I am cooking the beans. The potatoes are baked just right for dinner or to toss them in the freezer for later. You can "hardboil" an egg just by setting it on the shelf for about an hour. I have done also done bread, muffins, and chili mac in the Sun Oven.

These sound great. I have considered one for a long time, but never went for it. I am glad to hear they work well, I am putting it on the list!

I would also love to hear recipes and ideas.

Wendy Dewitt,(check out youtube videos) has a website called "Everything Under the Sun". After watching her videos (one was on solar ovens) I had to have one . You can print a booklet of her recipes that she uses for her sun oven. No copyright problems ,she lets you print free of charge. (Very informative)

Ours looks like the photograph. It has lasted 20 years of occasional use. Sun oven cooking seems to be a learned art, like dutch oven cooking. I have overbaked potatoes in ours; the flesh was brownish and tasted a bit burnt. It is a great emergency or off-grid way to cook, as well as letting you bake without heating the house or subjecting you to smells you dislike.
    "A democracy is nothing more than mob rule, where fifty-one percent of the people may take away the rights of the other forty-nine." ~ Thomas Jefferson