Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: List of links for canning basics, recipes, etc....

Momof23goats, I was just getting ready to print out the pdf file you referenced above when I noticed that they indicate the boiling point of water (at sea level) is 220 deg. F! I thought it might be a typo, but that figure is mentioned twice....

I'm not sure what to make of that - not only that they didn't know the correct temperature, but that a proof-reader didn't catch it (they teach that in elementary school, don't they???)

Makes me wonder what other errors might be lurking therein. I didn't see any other problems with a cursory scan of the document, but then I'm not nearly as experienced as many here. Anyone else see any other problems?

Default Canning Quiz

as close as you can get to Atlanta and still have chickens

Default pressure cooker vs. water bath

Hi TOL-ies,

This is my first post ever (on any message board), so if i'm not doing something right, please call me on it.

i'm wondering if any of you can shed some light on advantages (if there any) to canning with a pressure cooker. my mom taught me how to can by way of water bathing the jars after filling. many of the recipeis i see give instructions using a pressure cooker.

any advise would be very much appreciated.

Thanks!

This site is awesome. From canning, freezing, drying, pickeling, jams and jellies...its here.
    http://web1.msue.msu.edu/imp/mod01/master01.html

Bump - I will say I know some very seasoned canners that have had issue with some of the techniques on Canning USA's site. So if in doubt...

Kimberly
    • “I am not afraid, because I was born to do this."

Joan of Arc
    Mark 8:38 - Whosoever therefore shall be ashamed of me and of my words in this adulterous and sinful generation; of him also shall the Son of man be ashamed, when he cometh in the glory of his Father with the holy angels.

What is the best book on canning? I'm looking to buy one for my library, I'd appreciate opinions on this. Thanks.

Dutchman's

Dutchman's - they don't have a website or a catalog you have to call, they are located in Cantel Iowa.

These are commerical canning lids made Ball they don't have a logo on the lid. The gum area is wider AND thicker. These are the lids that the Amish and Mennonite use.
    345 come in a sleeve for $26.95
    288 per sleeve of largemouth lids for $29.95 plus shipping and tax.

DUTCHMAN'S STORE 319-397-2322

Joan of Arc
    Mark 8:38 - Whosoever therefore shall be ashamed of me and of my words in this adulterous and sinful generation; of him also shall the Son of man be ashamed, when he cometh in the glory of his Father with the holy angels.

this is not just canning info, also loads of great survival books, how to books- animal husbandry, gardening, a great library- free for download. Too many to list. www.godlikeproductions.com/forum1/message742541/pg1

My friends and I were just talking about getting help with canning.(we had done some canning with our moms a long time ago.) I will check these out and bookmark them. thanks!

Default Another Site

http://extension.missouri.edu/explore/hesguide/

This site has a wealth of information including how to make cottage cheese, yogurt, "Missouri Mix" which is a Bisquik type mix. It also has recipes.
    I clicked on publications, then Human Environmental Services, then Food, Nutrition and Fitness. Most appear to be free, there are a few that charge a small fee (recipes for feeding a crowd).
    Under Agriculture the topics range from animal husbandry to gardening. The gardening is broken down for flowers and houseplants, fruits and vegetables.
    I appreciate how willing everyone has been to share information.
    Also, abebooks.com had several books on canning and food preservation today. I ordered one.
    I can do all things through HIM who gives me strength. Phil 4:13
    Cat

"Eyes blinded by the fog of Things cannot see Truth.
    Ears deafened by the din of Things cannot hear Truth.
    Brains bewildered by the whirl of Things cannot think truth.
    Hearts deadened by the weight of Things cannot feel Truth.
    Throats choked by the dust of Things cannot speak truth.
    "The Uncrowned King" by Harold Bell Wright