Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Canker sores - Help!

Default Canker sores - Help!

Hi all,

I went to visit my parents this weekend, and left my toothpaste at home, so I used my mom's. Twelve hours later, I had a mouthful of raw, raised bumps, mostly in the area between gums and cheeks. 24 hours after that, I now have an entire mouth full of canker sores on my cheeks and outer gums. It is pretty hard to eat and drink, and I don't even want to talk it hurts so much.

Anybody have some good home remedies (or heck, even at this point, store bought ones!) to relieve the pain and help them heal? Is there such a thing as oral anesthetic mouth wash??

TIA,
    Cyclonemom
    It is sobering to reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence. - Charles A. Beard

In this day and age, the only path of honor for a patriot IS to become a traitor. - Miradus
    [/SIZE]

Almond extract!!!

summerthyme

Dilute and swish or straight? or "swab"?

Dab on with a q- tip

(sorry, Im typing one handed, on the phone with the other)

Sorry... was on the phone with my youngest son- it's nice when they call just to chat.

Anyway, just the REAL almond extract they sell at the grocery store (you can get a pint at a really good price at the same place I linked for the spices on the apple butter thread). Dab it onto the canker sores a few times a day, and they'll heal within a couple days, rather than 10-14 days. Amazing how well it works.

Summerthyme

Summerthyme,

Thanks! I LOVE Almond extract and use it in place of vanilla for most baking, and have the Sam's club size bottle. I'll get started ASAP!

A grateful and mute Cyclonemom
    It is sobering to reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence. - Charles A. Beard

In this day and age, the only path of honor for a patriot IS to become a traitor. - Miradus
    [/SIZE]

Welcome to the world of Herpes Simplex I (non genital herpes).

Okay--none of the home remedies will work effectively and prevent them from happening again.

Bieing overtired, or doing thing that will lower your resistance will bring back an onset.

You cannot rid yourself of this virus now.
    It is with you forever. Sorry.

But... there is a way to control it once you feel a breakout coming on.

The drug is called "valacyclovir" and this is a virus supressing drug.
    It works very, very well.

I do not suggest that you take it everyday like people with genital herpes do--it is hard on your system.

But for knocking down an full blown outbreak of Simplx I --it will work.

I get fever blisters (simplex I) whenever I overtire myself, or am out in the sun too long--or do anything that will lower my resistance.

When I feel it coming on, I take a valacyclovir and then another the next day. The symptoms will be greatly reduced and will go away much, much faster than if I did not.

Soooo... you are going to have this happen again, and again. I would suggest you make an appointment with your MD and get a prescritption for this stuff--and thankgoodness it is now sold as a generic drug now, so it is not too expensive to purchase.

ST

I've had good results from swishing hydrogen peroxide in the mouth. It tastes like crap, but it has worked in the past for me. Just be sure not to swallow any.

I think she said she had canker sores, not cold sores which are the herpes virus.

Canker sores are caused by too much acid.

Don’t buy from a faceless chain.
    Buy from a friend.

Shop Avon Online! - www.LizMetcalf.com
    Liz Metcalf
    - The Tree of Liberty's Avon Lady