BrudderT- given that you only want a very few chicks, you're probably going to have to get whatever is available locally. And since they'll essentially be pets, you might as well get a breed that appeals to YOU, although obviously if you want eggs, it's best to get one which is bred for decent rate of lay...

You might want to consider the Aracauna (or "Americana"... as the breed sold most places has been bred for good rate of production of colored eggs and no longer has the same show type as the old fashioned Aracauna. They're neat birds for small flocks, as they come in assorted colors (easier to tell individuals apart) and, of course, they lay colored eggs- generally shades of green or greenish blue, although I do have one which lays light brown eggs (one of the "side effects" of interbreeding with brown egg laying breeds to increase production and also get a wider range of colored eggs)

The ones I've had have been quite personable and easy to tame. Despite my preference for the Slow White broiler birds for a dual purpose (meat and eggs) and my favorite Cuckoo Marans, I've got another half dozen Americana pullets coming next month. Dunno why, but there's something about those colored eggs that's just plain fun...

Summerthyme