Page 74 of 154 FirstFirst ... 2464727374757684124 ... LastLast

Thread: What did you do to prep today?

Quote Originally Posted by dylanM View Post
    Ohio ,Logan Co. ,Bellefontaine , Stites Grocery / salvage

Went with sister to a new grocery in columbus. Its like a whole foods. Could not believe the prices they wanted & people were buying it . I have shoped at a salvage grocer for 25 years.
    Ahh. Since my sister in law and brother in law got out of the flea market/ auction business I no longer have a source for salvage groceries close to me. they used to go to auction and buy groceries by the pallet to resell at common auctions and in their flea market.

Thank you for these links. Checking them out right now.

Just a word of caution...

There was a salvage grocery store in the nearest small city to us around 15 years ago. GREAT prices. But it was also the only place I ever brought home pantry moths and grain weevils from.

That doesn't mean to not shop for deals if you have one of these (NY has TWO listed total!) but be extra vigilant in freezing, packaging, etc if you buy anything that isn't canned from them.

Summerthyme

Since yesterday added to the food stock. Bought a deep cycle 12 volt battery, bartered some of my flashlights for some silver : )
    "...Slavery is but the owning of labor and carries with it the care of the laborers, while the European plan...is that capitol shall control labor by controlling wages. This can be done by controlling the money." (Thru central banks via fiat money)

Converted worthless FRN's into 1 more months worth of food.
    “I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice! And let me remind you also that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue.” Barry Goldwater.

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.H. L. Mencken

My DH has been working all day to put together a small hydroponic set up.

We garden every year. But with the way the prices are going, having a year round source for fresh vegetables, especially tomatoes and salad greens, sounds really good.
    "This is my Father's world.
    O let me ne'er forget
    that though the wrong seems oft so strong,
    God is the ruler yet."

I took the day off completely and went on a day trip with some friends and spent the day enjoying the wonderful weather and nature's beauty. Good for the soul. Back to prepping tomorrow.

I scheduled a Permaculture team to come out and provide us with a Permaculture Design. It was a barter deal... Then, I had some fun outside. I spread aged Llama manure over my Asparagus beds (weeding them, too), around our Grapevines, our Kiwi Vines, and around our Thornless Blackberries. Then, I got a wheelbarrow of rabbit manure, encircled all of our Blueberry bushes with it, then also around the Marionberries. Seeing that I really needed to get them "tamed" and up upon their support, I got my clippers & trowel and set to work on them. Of course, I noticed other work and that I had a lot of extra happy baby Egyptian Walking Onions. I have more than enough for us, so listed them in the Marketplace. Working outside will be a daily chore, if weather allows. Also, contacted a source for naturalized honey bees. Hoping that pans out!

Smile

Well, don't know if it counts as a prep but to me it sort of does; finished my last Masters degree class today. No, can't eat the diploma (guess I could if I really wanted to.... ) but it got me my current job and will, very hopefully, put me in a better position to survive downturns and maybe an eventual job hunt. I can't seem to find a high end job posting that doesn't want at least a 4 year degree and more and more are asking for an advanced degree.

Either way, I hope it counts for something for my family in the long run.
    'You have been warned of what they will do, you have a choice.
    Sit quiet and do nothing, wait until your hands are bound behind your back,
    and you are on your knees in a ditch, begging for your life!
    Or as an American, you had the privilege to be born free,
    If you wish to die free you better get up off your ass and make it happen.
    Stand and fight damn-it, if not these just might be the last words your hear,
    ‘AllahuAkbar! AllahuAkbar! AllahuAkbar!'