Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chimney liner?

Default Chimney liner?

We are remodeling a house we will be moving into in a few weeks. It has a block chimney with a round clay liner. It is very rough in the inside and the local place that does sweeping told us we should just put a new pipe alongside it. They want over $3,000.00 to do the job so I was looking at other alternatives.
    I just bought an ad-on wood furnace that will be in the basement.
    Putting in a liner seems the most simple and cost effective, but I have heard if the creosote in the existing chimney is not cleaned out it can still cause a chimney fire. If the liner is insulated before it is put in, it seems that should prevent that?

Insulated pipe is HUGELY expensive! Is that $3000 for cleaning AND new liner?

My house was the same.
    I got everything I needed to put a liner in from Rockford Chimney Company.
    Installer wanted $1800. I did it in several hours for $600!!!

They have videos and you can call them.
    Very helpful and knowledgeable

http://rockfordchimneysupply.com/
    Plato once said, “Wise men speak because they have something to say. Fools, because they have to say something.”

"Fere libenter homines id quod volunt credunt." "Men willingly believe what they wish to believe."
    Julius Caesar

There's no natural calamity that government can't make worse.
    Bill Bonner

Quote Originally Posted by wcpastures View Post
    We are remodeling a house we will be moving into in a few weeks. It has a block chimney with a round clay liner. It is very rough in the inside and the local place that does sweeping told us we should just put a new pipe alongside it. They want over $3,000.00 to do the job so I was looking at other alternatives.
    I just bought an ad-on wood furnace that will be in the basement.
    Putting in a liner seems the most simple and cost effective, but I have heard if the creosote in the existing chimney is not cleaned out it can still cause a chimney fire. If the liner is insulated before it is put in, it seems that should prevent that?
    You should be able to do it yourself for a few hundred dollars. Clean the old chimney & liner yourself. There are several types of flexible liners - with or without insulation - that you and a helper can pull down on you own.

We also used Rockford Chimney too, and they do take the time to discuss what you need also.

IMO, convert to a double wall steel insulated pipe. DIY it. it's quite easy if you're handy.

for a 6" diameter 15' chimney (from a basement) you're looking at well under $1k. in fact, maybe even only $500, depending on how complicated the run is. it's about $75 for 3'. for 8" diameter, it's about $110 for 3'.
    “Stand fast therefore in the liberty wherewith Christ has made us free, and be not entangled again in the yoke of bondage.” (Galatians 5:1 KJV)

Won't bow to man. Won't bow to government. Won't bow to greed. Won't bow to false hope. Won't bow to self. Won't bow to modern code. Won't sell my soul to a dead world. I Defy.
    - The World is a Thorn

Quote Originally Posted by LibertyInNH View Post
    You should be able to do it yourself for a few hundred dollars. Clean the old chimney & liner yourself. There are several types of flexible liners - with or without insulation - that you and a helper can pull down on you own.
    http://www.firesidechimneysupply.com
    FireFlex 316Ti Flexible Chimney Liner Tee Kit

Liner Size: 6in x 30ft Top Plate13in x 18in Flat Tee:10in Snout FireFlex Insulation Wrap Kit 1/4"3in to 6in liners (30ft) Pulling Cone6 inch $774.97 SHIPPED.

Plenty of options available - thicker or poured insulation, larger/ovalized pipe. If the chimney doesn't have s-bends in it then installation is easy.

You should be able to get this done for under $1000

As I said above, I did mine for around $600.
    20+' of liner, cap, thimble and insulation
    Plato once said, “Wise men speak because they have something to say. Fools, because they have to say something.”

"Fere libenter homines id quod volunt credunt." "Men willingly believe what they wish to believe."
    Julius Caesar

Bill Bonner

Thank you all for your help, I think I will call Rockford Chimney as suggested. Seems simple enough.

Let us know your experience
    Check out the videos on their site

Julius Caesar

Bill Bonner