Page 4 of 154 FirstFirst ... 234561454104 ... LastLast

Thread: What did you do to prep today?

Quote Originally Posted by Summerthyme View Post
    I just made a bunch of catsup yesterday. Two large batches... one of a traditional type from 1910, one a "Heinz clone" found on the "Topsecretrecipe site"

Except, of course, I had to go and play around with the "clone" recipe, because it called for tomato paste, and- duh- corn syrup!

Here is the original:
    one 6-ounce can tomato paste
    1/2 cup light corn syrup
    1/2 cup white vinegar
    1/4 cup water
    1 tablespoon sugar
    1 teaspoon salt
    1/4 teaspoon onion powder
    1/8 teaspoon garlic powder

1. Combine all ingredients in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Whisk until smooth.

2. When mixture comes to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes, stirring often.

3. Remove pan from heat and cover until cool. Chill and store in a covered container.

Makes 1 1/2 cups

Here's what I made:
    12 quarts tomato puree
    9 cups sugar (this is both replacement for the corn syrup and the sugar called for later. It's 2 cups less than they call for... it was plenty sweet for us)
    12 cups white vinegar
    1/2 cup salt
    2 tblsp onion powder
    1 tblsp garlic powder

And I added 1 tablespoon cayenne pepper.....

Mix everything in a big kettle (mine holds 20 quarts) and simmer until reduced by half. I stick a yardstick into the mix at the beginning, and then measure until it's half as deep. I was worried about scorching, but it never threatened to at all.

Can in pint jars in a water bath for 10 minutes.

Summerthyme
    I like the addition of the cayenne! When I get a chance , i think I'll try this one out, thanks for posting!
    Dont piss down my back and tell me its raining!

For super cheap #10 cans, may I suggest this site:

http://www.ldscatalog.com/webapp/wcs...&cg3=&cg4=&cg5=
    I usually receive my orders from them within a week and the prices can't be beat.
    Last edited by Hawthorne; 08-27-2010 at 09:40 PM. Reason: link didn't work
    Personal Responsibility, Take It, It's Yours

I purchased two nice wool blankets at a yard sale today. I was happy to get them because I hadn't seen any wool blankets in some time. Folks without a source of heat at night will appreciate them.
    Don't wait to prep when there is an emergency - it's too late.

Only because I bought on-line/through the mail-

Picked up 100 meat chicks today.

Bless.

as close as you can get to Atlanta and still have chickens

i defrosted the last 7 pounds of ground venison last night in order to make jerky and chili today. and also to get the freezer cleared out and ready for this winter's meat (God willing).

i've got 7 quarts of chili going in the canner right now with enough meat to do another 4 or 5 quarts.

the garden is pretty much through until the 2nd planting of corn is ready so we're working on other things.
    Respect God. Love your family. What else is there?

We have a cheap farmers market about 10 miles from us and today I picked up 60 jalapeno peppers for $1.50! Yep time for more salsa! I got about 20 more pounds of tomatoes out of the garden.

Ran errands, typical day for us actually.
    K-
    • “I am not afraid, because I was born to do this."

Joan of Arc
    Mark 8:38 - Whosoever therefore shall be ashamed of me and of my words in this adulterous and sinful generation; of him also shall the Son of man be ashamed, when he cometh in the glory of his Father with the holy angels.

Sadly I did nothing today, had to take DW for a test.

Slapped my emergency radio, lantern and drill on their respective rechargers and am in the process of raising everything off the basement floor as high as possible. . .Hurricane Earl might pay us a visit on Friday.

Of course the weather people usually get it wrong, but Thursday is too late to make a plan.

Everything else is taken care of.

I don't believe this house can hold up to a Cat 3 but Mrs. Bear will not leave. Guess that's when the "God Factor" kicks in.

I don't particularly want to leave either = my scumb@g neighbors would pick this house cleaner than a chicken neck at a Baptist barbecue. . .
    Remember the Prepper's Motto: "Panic early and avoid the rush!"
    Everything I post is Fiction and shouldn't be taken seriously by anyone.
    88 = Heil Hitler

Quote Originally Posted by BugoutBear View Post
    Slapped my emergency radio, lantern and drill on their respective rechargers and am in the process of raising everything off the basement floor as high as possible. . .Hurricane Earl might pay us a visit on Friday.

Of course the weather people usually get it wrong, but Thursday is too late to make a plan.

Everything else is taken care of.

I don't believe this house can hold up to a Cat 3 but Mrs. Bear will not leave. Guess that's when the "God Factor" kicks in.

I don't particularly want to leave either = my scumb@g neighbors would pick this house cleaner than a chicken neck at a Baptist barbecue. . .
    I dont care who you are ...that right there is funny. Good luck with the storm.