Page 34 of 154 FirstFirst ... 2432333435364484134 ... LastLast

Thread: What did you do to prep today?

Funny, I was just getting ready to call the KC LDS Cannery to make an appointment. Didn't know we had other TOL folks in the area.

Canned 60lbs of potatoes.

Michigan Patriot- yep, I've used the handwarmers for O2 absorbers for years. Since I haven't done a major (as in dozens of pails) packaging deal since 1999, it's cheaper for me to buy the handwarmers when they're on clearance in the spring, and use them as needed- being individually wrapped, you don't waste a bunch of O2 absorbers only packing up half a dozen buckets.

Lurker... I only use the (expensive, but worth it) Gamma seal lids on my "working" pails... basically one pail of each type of grain or food...

When it's empty, I open a new pail (which is sealed with a plain lid, with a sealed mylar bag inside) and pour some or all of the contents (depending on how fast I think I'll use it, and how susceptible to rancidity it is) into the pail with the Gamma seal. Then I'll toss in an O2 absorber (actually a hand warmer, see above) and reseal the mylar in the "non working" pail if it's something like rye flour, which can start "turning" fast.

Summerthyme

Quote Originally Posted by Summerthyme View Post
    Michigan Patriot- yep, I've used the handwarmers for O2 absorbers for years. Since I haven't done a major (as in dozens of pails) packaging deal since 1999, it's cheaper for me to buy the handwarmers when they're on clearance in the spring, and use them as needed- being individually wrapped, you don't waste a bunch of O2 absorbers only packing up half a dozen buckets.

Lurker... I only use the (expensive, but worth it) Gamma seal lids on my "working" pails... basically one pail of each type of grain or food...

When it's empty, I open a new pail (which is sealed with a plain lid, with a sealed mylar bag inside) and pour some or all of the contents (depending on how fast I think I'll use it, and how susceptible to rancidity it is) into the pail with the Gamma seal. Then I'll toss in an O2 absorber (actually a hand warmer, see above) and reseal the mylar in the "non working" pail if it's something like rye flour, which can start "turning" fast.

Summerthyme
    Ok - I'm on the right track then, thanks. We've got a bunch of gamma's, I get them for just under $6 each when I buy so I'm OK with the price - especially for what they do. Had to take 3 off just recently - not fun.
    'You have been warned of what they will do, you have a choice.
    Sit quiet and do nothing, wait until your hands are bound behind your back,
    and you are on your knees in a ditch, begging for your life!
    Or as an American, you had the privilege to be born free,
    If you wish to die free you better get up off your ass and make it happen.
    Stand and fight damn-it, if not these just might be the last words your hear,
    ‘AllahuAkbar! AllahuAkbar! AllahuAkbar!'

Sam's run; beans, rice, flour, other. Found that they have 2lbs of yeast (2 x 1lb) for $5....that'll come in handy.

Me and my mylar bags have a date tonight.....

Topped the car off with gas. Got my shorted prescription medicine taken care of (with no trouble!) Got a haircut.

Nope... I've never found a really good, crisp batter for onions. Might want to ask in the kitchen... and then I'll try any suggestions as well.

On the wheat... if it's whole wheat berries and you're going to be using it within a year or two, no need for O2 absorbers. Cracked, rolled or ground grains would benefit from them, though

Summerthyme
    Try tempura batter, it seems to work well with veggys
    They swore, if we gave them our weapons, that the wars of the tribes would cease.
    “As a general rule, the earlier you recognize someone is trying to kill you, the better off you’ll be.”

"You think a wall as solid as the earth separates civilisation from barbarism. I tell you the division is a sheet of glass."

MichiganPatriot Guest

Summerthyme
    COOL! Thank you for confirming this for us!

(I know this recipe probably belongs in "The Kitchen," but I posted it for you here since we were on the subject and you needed some way to make a good onion ring.)

For onion ring batter, try Drakes http://www.drakesbattermix.com/
    Here's a recipe I use for fish, and it works great for onion rings too:

English Fish Batter
    (from my friends, David & Barbara Freeman - Solihull, England)

2 Cups flour
    1 Tbsp Baking Powder
    ½ tsp Salt
    Pepper to taste
    1 egg
    12 oz Soda Water (can use beer for a beer batter if you wish)

Beat egg in a separate bowl, set aside.
    Mix all dry ingredients together EXCEPT for Baking Powder
    Add the soda water and egg to dry ingredients and fold until smooth. (Fold gently, so as not to beat carbonation out of soda water)
    Now add baking powder and incorporate gently but thoroughly.

Dip cod, Pollock, or Haddock fillets, coating entire fillet and fry in oil (360 to 375 degrees) until done golden brown.

Serve with malt vinegar, English chips (steak fries), and tartar sauce.

you don't waste a bunch of O2 absorbers only packing up half a dozen buckets.
    I just pull the number of absorbers I need for the task at hand, then vacuum-pack the rest in a FoodSaver bag.

The brand of 02 absorbers I use has a dot on the packaging that changes color when exposed to oxygen, so you know whether the absorbers are still good or not.
    All best,
    Cyberiot

Never try to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig. –Robert Heinlein

Thumbs up

I VOTED!!!!!

Hopefully buying myself and many others at least another 12 to 18 months of prepping for the inevitable.