Page 11 of 154 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161111 ... LastLast

Thread: What did you do to prep today?

23 quarts of peaches

14 pints of carrots are almost done...

put 50#s of salt in a bucket

150 #'s of sugar in buckets

Yesterday was the best...

Friday night I thinking yardsales... so I was checking craigslist for some leads.

And praying we would find some quality hiking boots...REI Asolo quality kind...http://www.rei.com/product/693828 $260 boots...

I'm about to be laid off and here I am praying to find top quality boots for the family

Well then I remember that REI sometimes has "garage sales" returned Items that they mark down and sell to members. Lots of worn out and damaged junk...but sometimes a lot of items some smuck bought for one trip and returned because they wanted the money back after the one hiking trip they made in ten years and knew they would never do it again.

So I check on line and sure enough...The REI in Boise has a sale going on Saturday morning at 9am

Well we didn't get their until 10:30 and hundreds of people had gone before us.

But you know what....we found those Asolo boots for three of us, (the three that liked them) and in the end all of us had at least two quality boots, and some other shoes also. Hiking pants and shirts...you know those light weight, quick dry $65 shirts and $65 pants..( something I would never justify in my mind)

In the end we spent $596 , which we had saved for survival stuff anyway.

and after adding it up at home we had over $2500 worth of stuff.

Some of it was brand new with tags on it still...last years colors ( I know, I know...crual man that I am to dress my kids in last seasons colors)

Along with that it was a good day of yard sales after wards too... found some work pants for the kids.

Now I'll start praying for cowboy boots for the family...we will need them where we are going. Unless God has other plans , then I suppose he will provide something else , when we need it too.

Today, I harvested everything I had to, including my poor big Rhubarb the neighbor's dog sort of annihilated. That 100# sweet clumsy Lab/St Bernard gets away from them a few days a week, and fell on it, breaking almost every single stalk. Yep, will be talking nicely to the neighbor, presenting them with Rhubarb and asking them to keep their harvester at HOME (as sweetly as I can as I sure like these neighbors, but don't want their dog back here). So, also walked through the garden, figuring out what to dry next (in my drying room), which seeds to harvest next (grew all heirloom veggies), and also when to dig up the potatoes. Been trying to get myself motivated to start up my dehydrator, been so busy lately putting up the daily harvest... Then, I decided where I wanted our root cellar. Time to get my daily list done to complete these tasks by priority and timing of weather. The next chore, top priority, is to empty our chest freezer and both fridge freezers, completely re-organizing them, taking out anything I can (all are packed full). There is now a turkey thawing, which I will be smoking, that was taken out to make room for the salmon Len caught. Thought I could avoid canning, but not now.

I also took some time to figure out what I needed to do to prep my perennials for an impending "colder earlier Winter," due to La Nina. All the pots will be off the decks, and all the herbs planted in my front beds, mulched in. It was sure a pleasing sight to see 9 cords of firewood, cut & stacked in our wood shed. Made my thoughts turn towards what we needed for this Winter, that we didn't presently have...

Neither of us have good boots and Len needs more work clothes. The last post was a good one to read. Otherwise, both of us are set with everything else.

Emptied the 5000 gallon non potable water container for the winter...AKA the kids swimming pool!
    Dont piss down my back and tell me its raining!

Quote Originally Posted by independent View Post
    Bought four 1 liter bottles of Jack Daniels. I don't drink whiskey, but it will be a good barter item when TSHTF. Also, a good disinfectant.
    We got some in case of shock.

I'm about to break my fast from Yom Kippur. Working on my spiritual preps today.
    Mama Ten Bears

I don't have 10 children, but I did see 10 bears on vacation once. Thought it'd be a cool screen name.

did 2.5 miles this morning with the rest of the family!

Dehydrated 5# pinto beans, and 5 cans of spaggehtti sauce. Will mylar 50# of white wheat in the morning, and dehydrate more sauce. Bought a generator and learned how to use it then got it ready for the winter. Reorgainized my kitchen for optimal working space for all my food prep stuff. Why do I actually "like" doing all this prepping besides working a full time job? I have a confession, I'm hiding money from my husband, not for a new outfit or a day at the spa but for canning jars and pinto beans and 25# bags of sugar. I've got it bad, JUST GIVE ME THE @#% CHECK BOOK!!!!! Grrrr.

everyone got their teeth cleaned at the dentist today.

also canning 16 pints of baby carrots this evening

While harvesting and putting up food just about daily, I reached my little financial goal by selling my Comfrey Oil & Comfrey Coconut Lavender Salve! In order to add the (5) new raised beds I need for all my Garlic (needs planted next month), Onions, and select Herbs! These will be planted by end of September, into October. Tomorrow, I am going to go speak with one of our "neighbors up the road" who had agreed to dig out a big hole out of our embankment for a root cellar. Every day is a good day to prep or come up with more plans & reach goals to keep up the prepping!

Picked up 50 pounds of DAK canned ham. If you don't have this in your prep items, it might be worth your while to consider it.

It is delicious premium ham, fully cooked in the can. Comes in one pound cans and has a 5 year shelf life. I get my local Wal-Mart to order it for me and they charge me $3.30 per can.