Page 122 of 154 FirstFirst ... 2272112120121122123124132 ... LastLast
Results 1,211 to 1,220 of 1533

Thread: What did you do to prep today?

Having moved out to a semi-rural area 6 months ago, I now realize that location is the most important prep one can make.

Quote Originally Posted by Falls_Tech View Post
    Having moved out to a semi-rural area 6 months ago, I now realize that location is the most important prep one can make.
    Given where you were, I'd agree. Just keep making connections. If the SHTF, some people may shut their gates and not converse with anyone they haven't known for awhile. I, personally, would join the local ham club and/or spend some time on 2M just rag chewing so you get to know the voices and they get to know you. That's a prep, too, and can't be hurried. If you don't have your ham license, get it. It's not a huge deal.

There may also be a CB net among the elderly, and with your skills, you could probably rehab a $5 CB radio.

Yes, location is very important (!!!). Since we don't watch sports, DH & I went on a nice hike yesterday. Good info on CB, Meemur

I'd get out of all suburbs and cities if possible. This TSA stuff is just a warmup or conditioning process for what is coming.....

Just went out to survey our gardening areas, took mental notes, and also began propagating mint plants. I have a lot of propagating to do!

My turn again, chuckle... Today, I weeded, prepped, and mulched two smaller garden beds, did my T-Tapp, Elliptical, and set up one of my propagation areas. I checked my bees, and was disappointed I lost them this Winter. From the dwindled populace, a die off, no Queen. Too bad, just one Hive. I am debating getting bees again this year.

Christie, I know there is expense and bother and worry but I hope you try again with the bees.

Why?

More than most here, you have experience with them. With all the news about our bees dying everywhere, some one, like you could make a difference.

I applaud all your efforts.

Quote Originally Posted by timbo View Post
    Christie, I know there is expense and bother and worry but I hope you try again with the bees.

Why?

More than most here, you have experience with them. With all the news about our bees dying everywhere, some one, like you could make a difference.

I applaud all your efforts.
    Thanks, but after (5) years Beekeeping, only over-wintering once successfully, was very disapppointing. This last Fall, I fully prepped my bees to make it, using all the proven methods. Screened Bottom Board, secondary ER exit/entrance (if Bottom Entrance becomes blocked), Fondant, Syrup in the Fall, Screened top Inner Cover, Airspace, etc... If I could have afforded it, I would have had 3 or 4 hives, not gambling on over-wintering just 1. Here the challenge is sustained wet weather, although we didn't have as much this past season. Yes, all through the season, I have healthy happy bees, but the Winter here is very hard on them and most suffer losses each year, too many, sadly. I will consider it as the season draws near to get bees, not sure if we can afford it... I don't lack equipment or hives, anyway.

Thumbs up Preps

Bees: well I have my order placed for a new Nuc ( Not Nuke! ) as our Queen is also gone but we are going to re-establish our primary colony. The secondary colony is an offshoot from a swarming condition from hive #1over-feeding and they have lived and thrived behind the bedroom wall for five years; go figure.

House protection: we have a double front door with no glass near or in it and since about 60 some odd % of house burglars here kick in the doors to gain access, we added Armor Concepts hinge covers, very long screws into the sub-framing, a top bolt plate and, a sliding steel backed plate bolted through the floor ( backing palates added in basement) that makes a forced entry very time consuming, loud and dang near impossible. By then Mr. Gun will be heard from---

Laus Deo
    overbore

sunny225 Guest

Bought 150 lbs of rice last week & got them stored in buckets yesterday. Stored 100 lbs hard white wheat in buckets yesterday, along with 40 lbs dog food.
    Went to Aldi's & stocked up on canned goods Saturday.
    Bought a 1100 gallon water tank that we will pipe into the pump & then to the house for gravity feed if needed last week. Bought 3 wood heaters last week & will have them set up in the house for next winter, maybe one before this winter is up.
    Just had our taxes done today & didn't owe the gov nearly as much as I had thought we would. Yippee!