Page 126 of 154 FirstFirst ... 2676116124125126127128136 ... LastLast
Results 1,251 to 1,260 of 1533

Thread: What did you do to prep today?

Planted 8 more apple trees, 3 more peach trees, 2 plum trees, 2 van cherry trees, 6 more blueberry bushes, 8 more blackberry & 3 red raspberry bushes.

Picked up a 15 ft x 15 xft 36 inch pool. Holds 2822 gallons at 80 % full.Its about 3/4 of the way full of water for pumping out of to water the gardens & fruit trees.
    ?

Quote Originally Posted by Lenno View Post
    I was lucky, no snow for 3 days, but heavy frost as usual, 16 years and not a decent garden yet, I wonder if the cold weather might be a factor,,,I will have to concider that
    Lenno, I don't know what part of the country you live, so I will speak in general terms. I live in East Texas.
    Obviously, nothing grows in frozen ground, that I know of.
    Cool round, cool weather, you can start potatoes, onions, carrots, beets, cabbage, broccali, cauliflower, and peas.
    moerate weather and ground temp above 60 degrees, plant tomatoes, peppers, squash, beans, cucumbers, watermelon, cantaloupe.
    I hope this helps. One other reccomendation, build some raised beds, & give it a try.

I was lucky, no snow for 3 days, but heavy frost as usual, 16 years and not a decent garden yet, I wonder if the cold weather might be a factor,,,I will have to concider that
    Lenno, I don't know what part of the country you live, so I will speak in general terms. I live in East Texas.
    Obviously, nothing grows in frozen ground, that I know of.
    Cool round, cool weather, you can start potatoes, onions, carrots, beets, cabbage, broccali, cauliflower, and peas.
    moderate weather and ground temp above 60 degrees, plant tomatoes, peppers, squash, beans, cucumbers, watermelon, cantaloupe.
    I hope this helps. One other recomendation, build some raised beds, & give it a try.

Lenno, I live in the pnw and we've had horrible summer weather the last few year so I went to the recyling center and bought old window and built a small greenhouse. I should have done this years ago. I went out there and it was 92 degrees and I even have watermelon coming up. Get yourself a greenhouse, Lenno. I swear it will be the best thing you can do. I can now start my seeds MUCH earlier and put some outside, while leaving the cukes, tomatoes, watermelon, etc, INSIDE to grow. good luck

processed 400 rounds of brass
    They swore, if we gave them our weapons, that the wars of the tribes would cease.
    “As a general rule, the earlier you recognize someone is trying to kill you, the better off you’ll be.”

"You think a wall as solid as the earth separates civilisation from barbarism. I tell you the division is a sheet of glass."

Raspberries are ripe, picked more, freezing them. Will be making raspberry jelly with some of them. Others will be for breakfast smoothies or to add to hot oatmeal in the winter. I don't think I will have enough to dry, my bushes are young, this is their second year, and first year I got berries off of them. There are lots of first year plants coming up. I'm going to have to transplant them to a larger location. They really spread.

I had ordered a bunch of spices that came in to replenish some that were getting low and try some new ones. I had a shelf in the pantry that was full of different spices in bulk, but not so easy to find the one I wanted so I had also ordered and received 3 new spice racks and bottles. I filled up all the new spice bottles and labeled them and then filled up one of those 4' by 2' deep Rubbermaid containers with all the big containers and put them in the cool pantry.

I have 96 different herbs and spices and a bunch of different salts and there are still a few more I want to get. I've been experimenting using different spice blends from the Europe, the ME, and India. Very different flavors! Still trying to come up with a Chai Tea recipe that is perfect.

I ordered a new spice book, and one on flavor combining, and spices/herbs for healing. I didn't have a book on spices, and couldn't pass on the 3 I found because they each highlight something different about spices. Spices are an important prep, whatever staples you have in your pantry can be changed into hundreds of different dishes, if you know how to use spice.

Quote Originally Posted by therosery View Post
    Lenno, I live in the pnw and we've had horrible summer weather the last few year so I went to the recyling center and bought old window and built a small greenhouse. I should have done this years ago. I went out there and it was 92 degrees and I even have watermelon coming up. Get yourself a greenhouse, Lenno. I swear it will be the best thing you can do. I can now start my seeds MUCH earlier and put some outside, while leaving the cukes, tomatoes, watermelon, etc, INSIDE to grow. good luck
    I agree! I also live in the PNW, currently have Tomatoes, Cucumbers, Watermelon, and Peppers growing in my little greenhouse (was a kit my DH reinforced quite a bit). This morning, we are leaving to go pick up (70) 3' X 5' sheets of tempered glass (I bartered garden consulting and some plants for them). Yes, this will be a good sized one!

Almost everyday, I am out picking strawberries then freezing them. Just a few warmer days has done wonders for my Pole Beans. I currently have Cucumbers living in "tents..."

I've walked 814 miles since January.

Good for you, tygerkittn!

The aforementioned (70) sheets of tempered glass, supposedly 3' X 5'?

We drove down there this morning in our old truck, to pick up the glass. When DH saw the stack, he told Barbara they were bigger than she told us they were. Yes, they fit in the truck, but they were only 2" shy of 4' wide, and actually 6.5' long (?!). Not sure how that gal measured them, but this was a pleasant surprise! They weighed 50#s each, but were an ackward size to carry. DH insisted on loading them himself, then unloading them when we got home. He figured lifting each (3) times @ 50#s each, he had lifted 10,500#s today. I rubbed him down with Comfrey Oil!

There were just (2) casualties, but besides clean up, that was not a problem. We have more than enough to build the greenhouse with. DH reminded me of the larger tempered glass panels we have (Six of them 4' X 8'). Those can be used at each end.

Otherwise, I picked more Strawberries today, DH harvested more than a dinner's worth of Sugar Snap Peas, and I'll be working on the boat curtains tonight. The ones in the boat were real ugly, thin, and worthless. So, I pulled out an ivory set I wasn't using, is rubber backed, thick, and the perfect width to begin with. I am sewing the pleats, so the bottom of the curtain will lie flush when attached. The side windows will have fitted panel curtains, sewn to fit them, without gathering. That will make a nice snug fit. Later, I plan to dye the curtains, possibly applique them with nautical decor.

Got my gas storage back up to full. Of course got it when the price was higher. (Ol' buy high sell short that's me) Gas only 3.14 today.
    Now have 50 gallons in military 5 galloners. (I just make up words)

Of course protected it with Pri-G. Never had a problem with stored gas with this.
    Even used up some 3 year old gas this way.

Oh, I also fill up the motor home before it's stored so that is another 75 gallons for MH generator use. I also rigged it so I can run the house on this generator.