Page 144 of 154 FirstFirst ... 4494134142143144145146 ... LastLast
Results 1,431 to 1,440 of 1533

Thread: What did you do to prep today?

Digging around in a thrift shop, I found a portable two way CB radio for 10 bucks. Looked like it had never been used but probably made in the 70's, had the carry case and everything. Took it home and plugged it into the car and it works very well. My prep for the day!

Great one Hotdog! Or did you say 'Hotdog!' when you got it?

Not today, but yesterday, bro and I went out and cut down 7 ash trees at about 35' apiece. Lot of firewood there. Not enough, but a nice dent.

Oh as an aside, buy some of those chain saw protection chaps!

I was cutting a stump at an odd body angle and the saw got me in the lower leg. Tore up the chaps and completely stalled the chain saw......but the saw never made it through the chaps!
    Gotta take the saw apart to get the strings out of the drive shaft but it will be worth it!

Timbo, sure glad you are unscathed with your chaps taking the wrath of your chainsaw...

Today, I did mental planning on my garden beds, and did actual physical pruning of our grapevines (carefully to keep from harming the badly encroached Kiwi Vines), also some over-achieving Marionberries, and Thornless Blackberries. In addition, I moved a few dozen Lady's Mantle Plants into my little greenhouse, found the vent panel that blew off in our most recent stormy weather, and delivered that to the workshop. The Guy in there gave me one of those, "Are you kidding" looks, and I sweetly gave him a kiss and told him there was no rush. Yes, I got another kiss. He is one guy who I never give a "honey do" list to. I occasionally tell him to have a chat with his boss. Of course, he has a hard time facing himself...

I examined my Elephant Garlic bed, counted my German Purple Striped Garlics, and figured out where to move them. While pruning in the back garden area, I made some decisions on what I would do, also rotating annually used beds.

Since I am teaching a class this Saturday, I am working on handouts and my PowerPoint Presentation for the next few days. Oh well, can't adjust the size of the text, just copied and pasted my Class Title. It will be held at my friends dance studio in Poulsbo WA. I will be presenting quite an overview and there will be hot tea and catering by Jak's Cafe & Espresso, Poulsbo, WA.

Organic Gardening by the Month Through a Homesteader’s Perspective

I forgot, but last week we put 50 lbs of chicken in the freezer and 12 18 oz jars peanut butter in pantry.

I have 90 -/+ tomato plants up and have my potato patch ready to plant next week.

I'm keeping one eye on the weather the other on TTOL and my ears tune to that still small voice.
    One day or Day one?

Working to get the garden ready, have one bed 3/4 full of Elephant Garlic plants. Right now, moving plants around, rotating beds, and finishing up the vine pruning. At present, there are (4) pints of Pork Lard cooling with another (4) pints still rendering in the oven. DH bought (20#s) of Pork Fat yesterday. Back out to work in the garden, will be posting later with pics.

This may sound stupid Christie (remember this is from a non-cooker)
    but why all the pork fat?

Quote Originally Posted by timbo View Post
    This may sound stupid Christie (remember this is from a non-cooker)
    but why all the pork fat?
    I am one who believes most stupid questions are the ones not asked, have to include that disclaimer of "most," due to the world we currently live in

Pork Fat, when rendered, makes excellent Pork Lard. This is used like shortening, for frying, and for saute'. It looks like Crisco, used just like it, but it is a much healthier choice (used in moderation, of course). The rendering process begins with either grinding the fat (best way) or cutting into small chunks, then cooking at a low temperature for hours. That allows the fat to mostly dissolve. Once the oil is rendered, you have crunchy remains called "Cracklings," which are used as a snack, in cooking, and also to top salads. The "oil" rendered can be poured into jars and refrigerated or canned (the method I use isn't USDA approved, so will skip that).

Looks like 7.5 pints of Pork Lard! We use this year around for cooking/baking, so will be rendering another 7.5 pints next week. After that, I'll be looking to get Leaf Fat (the purest from the Pork) and then will render that for pastries or may venture into making some soap.

I completed one of our Blueberry beds, nicely mulched, all cleaned up! My goal is to get one garden goal completed per day!

Here is the pic of some of most of the jars of Pork Lard:

Here is the end result of rending Pork Fat into Lard (Cracklings). We use sea salt to season a bit, then freeze them. They are used for cooking, for salads, and also for snacks (DH likes them).

Cracklings from finely chopped bacon fat are really good in cornbread. A little rich for my taste, but my kids loved them.

Carol