Page 145 of 154 FirstFirst ... 4595135143144145146147 ... LastLast
Results 1,441 to 1,450 of 1533

Thread: What did you do to prep today?

Thanks Christie!
    Now I am a cook!

Cool, now how are your gardening skills?

Presently, taking a short break from gardening work. I have just applied a layer of maple chips/somewhat fine on a 5 X 20 bed of mostly Elephant Garlic plants. Soon, will be attacking the next garden chore! I'll report my progress

Gardening skills are a teeny bit better. Right now we have about 3" of snow on the garden.
    Memorial day is our reckoning day except for just a few plants like peas.

I still have to set up my bed to start inside stuff.

Today, I'll post in pics:

DH dug up the bigger weeds and then mowed down the rest. He did this after I dug up the younger mixed Strawberry plants.

I layered newspaper over the bed.

Then, I shoveled compost over the newspapers. There will be more layers added on Friday, since I have to be in the office from 9-5 on Thursday. Once I finished layering the bed, I'll plant the strawberries back into it.

Will you get strawberries this year? I am getting ready to do this.

preparinginidaho- if you plant June bearing strawberries, you really should snip off any blossoms off the first year plants (and oh, it is hard to do!). That lets them develop strong root reserves, and gives you a better overall yield.

If you plant "day neutral" or ever bearers, you snip any blossoms off in June, but you can then let them set a crop of summer and fall berries.

Summerthyme

Quote Originally Posted by preparinginidaho View Post
    Will you get strawberries this year? I am getting ready to do this.
    Since I am selecting from 1 yr old plants, already, I won't be snipping off blooms, have excellent strong plants. Yes, I will get strawberries this year! What I showed was a re-claimed bed, getting prepared to plant my existing strawberries in (I dug up the ones I wanted and they are in flats) I have plenty to fill this bed! They are a mixture of June Bearing and Everbearing Strawberries.

Quote Originally Posted by ChristieAcres View Post
    Since I am selecting from 1 yr old plants, already, I won't be snipping off blooms, have excellent strong plants. Yes, I will get strawberries this year! What I showed was a re-claimed bed, getting prepared to plant my existing strawberries in (I dug up the ones I wanted and they are in flats) I have plenty to fill this bed! They are a mixture of June Bearing and Everbearing Strawberries.
    That is exactly what I have, both June and everbearing and 1 year old and some older. I just want to dig them up and then till the ground and add a lot of compost and get rid of weeds. Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Summerthyme View Post
    preparinginidaho- if you plant June bearing strawberries, you really should snip off any blossoms off the first year plants (and oh, it is hard to do!). That lets them develop strong root reserves, and gives you a better overall yield.

If you plant "day neutral" or ever bearers, you snip any blossoms off in June, but you can then let them set a crop of summer and fall berries.

Summerthyme
    I would if they were new, but they are like ChristieAcres and already over a year old, but too many and a lot of weeds, so I need to replant them. I was thinking of not doing it until fall if I was not going to get any strawberries.

Quote Originally Posted by preparinginidaho View Post
    That is exactly what I have, both June and everbearing and 1 year old and some older. I just want to dig them up and then till the ground and add a lot of compost and get rid of weeds. Thank you!
    If you do that right away, you will have happy Strawberry plants which will bear very well! How do I know? I've done that before, too This time, I am doing the Lasagna method.

Today, I added some peat moss, tomorrow will add leaves, more peat moss, more compost, some composted chips, then more peat moss, topping with ashes, and then adding maple chips/shavings. Then, I'll plant two rows of Strawberries, far apart, so I can establish my new row in the center of them.