Page 21 of 154 FirstFirst ... 1119202122233171121 ... LastLast

Thread: What did you do to prep today?

Picked the last of our peppers and beans, and ordered some bulk dried fruits and other essentials from bulkfoods.com. Bulk foods seems to have pretty reasonable prices.If anyone knows of a place that has better prices,please let me know.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

Edmund Burke

Quote Originally Posted by grower View Post
    We just got the 2nd really good paycheck in a row (after many weeks of little or no income). First check, of course, was playing catch-up. But today........I hit the grocery store big time! The lady in the deli at Wal-Mart, btw, told me the first of the month EVERY THING IN WAL-MART is going to be marked up 2 percent, across the board! That just made me more convinced of the need to stock up on beans and rice, and baking supplies. I'm getting an order in for some wheat soon, too, through out co-op.
    Well, I'd better get to the store before the first of the month. Of course, that's when I have the least money.
    Do thou O Lord, protect us, guard us ever from this generation. On every side the wicked prowl as vileness is exalted among the sons of men.
    Psalm 12:7-8

In answer to your inquiry, I consider that the chief dangers which confront the coming century will be religion without the Holy Ghost, Christianity without Christ, forgiveness without repentance, salvation without regeneration, politics without God, and heaven without hell. —William Booth founder and general of the Salvation Army 1829-1916

Quote Originally Posted by MichiganPatriot View Post
    I have to disagree with you on that. If your equipment is wet, you're not starting anything fast. A tungsten striker will throw a spark when wet.
    Swedish fire steele is better
    And the skill with the fire bow is partly keeping it dry or finding the dead hanging wood on trees to make a new fire bow.

O btw I made a chicken ark as part of my preps today
    Its not painted yet though... If it dosent rain tomorrow thats what I'll be doing

Smile

14 pints of apples in syrup and 4 pints of sweet apple flavored syrup.

Going out tomorrow to pick up a truck bed and trailer full of unsplit oak some guy is giving away - swwweeetttt...... The DW calls it my oak addiction (I've got a little bit out in the back....), yet she doesn't complain when we're enjoying that nice warm fire. If/when things go south I have no doubt we'll be one of those with an nicely warmed home come the cooler months. Could turn out to be quite a barter item if I get enough I suppose (not really sure about that, it'll depend on the current situation).
    'You have been warned of what they will do, you have a choice.
    Sit quiet and do nothing, wait until your hands are bound behind your back,
    and you are on your knees in a ditch, begging for your life!
    Or as an American, you had the privilege to be born free,
    If you wish to die free you better get up off your ass and make it happen.
    Stand and fight damn-it, if not these just might be the last words your hear,
    ‘AllahuAkbar! AllahuAkbar! AllahuAkbar!'

MichiganPatriot Guest

Quote Originally Posted by IDK View Post
    O btw I made a chicken ark as part of my preps today
    Its not painted yet though... If it dosent rain tomorrow thats what I'll be doing
    Post pictures when you get it finished. I'm trying to get my city to change the ordinances.

MichiganPatriot Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Garden Laurie View Post
    And don't forget dryer lint, it is a great firestarter as well and very lightweight and packable.
    Good point! We've been saving it for quite a while too. I forgot to mention that particular one!!!

Quote Originally Posted by MichiganPatriot View Post
    Post pictures when you get it finished. I'm trying to get my city to change the ordinances.
    This is what I modled it on... minus most of the way to expensive hardware lol
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iTVIh9kcLgA

Quote Originally Posted by joyfulheart View Post
    speaking of fires, my son found this on amazon and is begging me for it for his birthday. LOL
    http://www.amazon.com/Solar-Spark-Li...7263895&sr=8-2

I have 12 quarts of sliced apples in my freezer waiting for my order of clearjel (want to make apple pie filling). According to UPS, it should arrive monday. So I know what I'll be doing on monday! LOL

I have one... it has to be HOT and sunny outside for it to work good sorry to say.
    The fire steeles work even when wet http://firesteel.com/
    That place has the best price I've seen.

Default What did I do to Prep...

A couple of weeks ago, I went to the local Kroger, Rural King, and Wal-Mart. I asked each of their managers to help with a community project/experiment. They said yes. They all made sure the supplies people would need would be in stock.

I then educated over 250 people last week-end (Sat & Sun) on making their own laundry soap. Had questioned and answer sessions. Demonstrated and allowed hands on experience. I gave each store information (what product labels they would have, where to find it in the store, and about how much it would cost).

I then followed up with the managers. I wanted to see how many actually went and made a purchase. I am pleasantly surprised. Two of the three stores sold out before noon Sunday. Both of the stores that sold out, agreed to issue rain checks.

I also have a couple of girlfriends who are giving free canning lessons. All summer they have had 25-30 people in their weekly classes. The County Extension Office is their sponsor and overseer.

Whether the commitment will last is up to those who gained knowledge. Part of preparing is educating those who lack knowledge. I just decided to just take it to another level.
    I Will Not Go Quietly!