Page 22 of 154 FirstFirst ... 1220212223243272122 ... LastLast

Thread: What did you do to prep today?

Quote Originally Posted by MichiganPatriot View Post
    Post pictures when you get it finished. I'm trying to get my city to change the ordinances.
    This site has a bunch or pics of different styles of chicken tractors/arks
    http://home.centurytel.net/thecitychicken/tractors.html

Finished the pipe connection and relaying the roof around the newly installed wood stove that my wife and daughter helped on. Harvested the first of the deer for this season and located oak handles for the horse drawn equipment that I bought, plow and cultivator. Yeah baby!

Today, I took down all my Elephant Garlic, Purple Striped German Garlic, and Martin's Kitchen Garlic, with some other varieties. Then, I hung up Pineapple Sage, Italian Sage, and Purple Basil in my drying room. I also strained and bottled most of the 7 quarts of Comfrey Oil. The balance to be used for Comfrey Salve. Since I am now accumulating a surplus, more than we will need by far, I will be selling it locally, too. With the cold weather approaching, I am harvesting seeds right now, too. We went on a hike and picked Chanterelle's, at least 5#s of them. Only other thing today, Len re-wired our water pump for our closed water heating system utilizing our wood stove. He did so, in the event of a power outage, then the pump would not be halted as that is dangerous. As it is, in less than 10 seconds after a power outage, our generator auto-starts (relay switch...). The problem is that we won't use that 24/7, due to expense. We have a small 1000W Honda generator that is fairly cost efficient to run, so Len wired it so that can be plugged in (instead of utilizing our large generator). Now, I have to order a 2nd 250 gallon propane tank. That is for back-up prepping... Since we have 9 cords of wood, and Len has a back-up plan for just about everything, all that is left is putting up food! Nope, not done yet... We want more Salmon in the freezer, have plenty of venison, could use more of other fish... I also need more meat to can!

Today I planted 2 raised beds of vegetables ( hey, don't hate me 'cause I live in soFla) and dreamed up 10 recipes for the ubiquitous canned chicken breast chunks you can buy by the 5-pack at Costco, Sam's Club or BJ's. Needless to say, I have a crapload of canned chicken. So far the chicken breast/mashed potato/corn kernels fritata sounds like the most intriguing - kind of like those 'arepas' they sell from carts. Yum. I will try all the recipes and post the results on my blog.
    Practical Prepping Blog

And what country can preserve its liberties, if its rulers are not warned from time to time, that this people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms. The remedy is to set them right as to the facts, pardon and pacify them. What signify a few lives lost in a century or two? The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. It is its natural manure.”—Thomas Jefferson

III

6 lbs pasta, 4 cans soup, 2 brownie mix and 2 bottles of cooking sherry

Might have converted a "sheeple" at the gym, at least to the part of stocking up due to the coming price increases on food. Talked about the rise in commodity prices and what is expected for food prices in the near future and how to stockpile and protect ourselves a bit. I try to keep "grey", but I'm a shopper/couponer so people expect this kind of talk from me without raising their eyebrows.

MichiganPatriot Guest

Quote Originally Posted by IDK View Post
    This site has a bunch or pics of different styles of chicken tractors/arks
    http://home.centurytel.net/thecitychicken/tractors.html
    I've seen/been to that site before. I saw one design that I liked. It looked like a mini-gypsy wagon. Easy to move around. Really aesthetically pleasing too (If you have neighbors close enough that might complain.)

Smile

Tetanus shot today.

Big load of oak to split in spring two days ago.....
    'You have been warned of what they will do, you have a choice.
    Sit quiet and do nothing, wait until your hands are bound behind your back,
    and you are on your knees in a ditch, begging for your life!
    Or as an American, you had the privilege to be born free,
    If you wish to die free you better get up off your ass and make it happen.
    Stand and fight damn-it, if not these just might be the last words your hear,
    ‘AllahuAkbar! AllahuAkbar! AllahuAkbar!'

Took a small check I got for jury duty a couple weeks back and bought 555 rounds of .22, 100 rounds of 12ga and 2 cases w/m pint canning jars.
    "I prefer peace. But if trouble must come, let it come in my time, so that my children can live in peace.
    Thomas Payne

Cooked up about 5#s of Chanterelle Mushrooms we picked, picked some Butternut Squash, and DH installed a blower fan for our wood stove. This is more energy efficient than a light bulb... That is a 90% energy saver over using the blower.

Yesterday canned 16 pints chicken breast. Found some wild asparagus and picked seeds - going to try planting them on my property.

Today neighbor is tilling a new garden patch for me for next spring. Also, going to can my first batch of bacon today.