Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: What did you do to prep today?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I answered the door to behold my neighbor with two huge bags (40#?) of parsnips he'd planted in April. They are ginormous. Clearing off the bottom shelf in the spare fridge, these will last all winter. Roasted veggies for supper tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by carol b View Post
    I answered the door to behold my neighbor with two huge bags (40#?) of parsnips he'd planted in April. They are ginormous. Clearing off the bottom shelf in the spare fridge, these will last all winter. Roasted veggies for supper tonight.

Um, I have never had parsnips . What do they taste like? Cause I am really looking at different veggies to go into my garden for next year.

Yesterday we ran over to Atwoods. DH picked up a hay ring for the cows. They had Folgers Medium roast in the big cans for 5.99. Picked up a few. They had Jiffy cornbread mix, a 6 pack for 1.50. That equals to 25c a box, and I havent seen em that cheap around here for years, so we got 4 packs. Would have gotten more, but the others were already out of date by a month. No sense in stocking up something that is already out of date. And I really prefer homemade, non sweetened cornbread, only got these for DH and the kids.
    We also picked up new stocking hats for the family, on clearance. And I got a bunch of the womens gloves for 1.50 pr to use as stocking stuffers for the girls in the family.

Then came home and made my dressing for Thanksgiving and Christmas, with 2 pans to eat at other meals. Now frozen and need to cover with foil.

as close as you can get to Atlanta and still have chickens

today i broke down a 25 pound bag of rice and vacuum sealed it into smaller portions.
    Respect God. Love your family. What else is there?

Quote Originally Posted by CVORNurse View Post
    Um, I have never had parsnips . What do they taste like? Cause I am really looking at different veggies to go into my garden for next year.
    I like parsnips many ways. I like them in soups, roasted like the poster above said, or grated with some herbs to make a latke.
    Mama Ten Bears

I don't have 10 children, but I did see 10 bears on vacation once. Thought it'd be a cool screen name.

If the frost has hit them they are really sweet tasting, otherwise if they were water stressed during growing they "can" be a tad biting on the tongue, but great in soups and stews and baked. Sort of in the globe turnip family but long like a huge fat carrot instead of round like a turnip.

Bought two 55 gallon fresh water barrels from www.bayteccontainers.com
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

Edmund Burke

Just got in from planting Lettuce, Chard, Carrots and Radishes in one of my raised beds. Then came in and started Cilantro, Oregano, Chives, and Basil. Yesterday I started bell peppers, serano peppers, and some herbs( know tansy was one but the others leave my memory at the moment.

We have our bottle baby doeling out in the big pen visiting with her goat family today. Beautiful day here in l.a.

And we took the family to church today for the first time in a while.

canned.
    8 quarts of beanie weenies
    13 quarts of Marinara Sacue Nemacolin
    14 pints of cream of chicken soup
    4 jars of old-fashioned apples and cherries
    4 pints of beef
    12 pints of cream of mushroom soup

and more tomorrow!
    I'm canning like there's no tomorrow!

**Now, if someone would tell me where the heck to put all the's jars, I'd really appreciate it! LOL

I sure enjoy hearing about what everyone is doing! It is very motivating... Since I can't plant outside or use my unheated greenhouse, quite yet, DH built me this yesterday:

I will be starting a lot of my seedlings on this shelf, too! It is only in my enclosed porch temporarily. This porch is built onto my little office building, open doorway, so it is nice and warm in here! On here are Comfrey Plants, Choc Mint Plants, Lady's Mantles, and below are cuttings of Marionberries & Raspberries.