Page 31 of 154 FirstFirst ... 2129303132334181131 ... LastLast

Thread: What did you do to prep today?

I decided it was a good day to convert $100 FRN's into some top off canned food preps. Off to Dollar general I went . What I got for My $100 FRN's

30 cans of chunk chicken 6oz cans - $1 each
    20 6oz cans of chunk ham -$1 each
    20 12oz cans of evaporated milk $1 each
    10 12oz cans of Pineapple chunks/rings $1 each
    20 cans of A-Treat canned ham(?) $1 each

All in all a very productive late prep run.
    “I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice! And let me remind you also that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue.” Barry Goldwater.

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.H. L. Mencken

Quote Originally Posted by natty threads View Post
    Today I just took care of the animals and called it good.

Some days are like that.

Bless up!
    Some days that's about the best you can hope for.
    "I prefer peace. But if trouble must come, let it come in my time, so that my children can live in peace.
    Thomas Payne

Walmart---got meds refilled, but they messed up on one so I have to go back tomorrow--have 3 month supply when it is fixed

Kohls---a new watchband and a new pair of sneakers

Petsmart---2 months worth of cat food and some dog food

home---canned 10 pints of homemade navy bean soup; cleaned house; did laundry

Made lard, a 2-day project. Our local cash&carry no longer carries the pure lard that needs to be refrigerated....the hydrogenated muck on the regular shelves tastes lousy.

Winco had a package of pork fat, 6 pounds, so i cut it into slivers, put in a heavy pot with some water, and let it rip (on low heat). I got about half a pound of meat from the package, went into rice for dinner. Got about 2 pounds of lard, which will hold me for a year, and a pound of cracklings, plus 2 cups of fat from finishing the cracklings in a heavy skillet.

Pretty danged proud of myself, considering I'm such a ninny about fat burns and fires that i've never even fried a chicken, let alone deep-fried anything.

All set for the fried potato season opener!

Ballistic Vst
    They swore, if we gave them our weapons, that the wars of the tribes would cease.
    “As a general rule, the earlier you recognize someone is trying to kill you, the better off you’ll be.”

"You think a wall as solid as the earth separates civilisation from barbarism. I tell you the division is a sheet of glass."

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Lenno View Post
    Ballistic Vst
    didja git riffle platz az well? Ceramic? Titanium?

And no, I'm not pwi.

BFC
    World War Three: "The Last Day". Fictional(?) depiction of an attack against Israel. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c5T5CF1jhTg
    ----------------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by NickTX View Post
    "When in doubt empty your magazine"
    ----------------------------------------------

"Stay in school, work hard, stay out of trouble and when you grow up, you can pay for those who didn't."

Quote Originally Posted by Falls_Tech View Post
    Everyone needs a Dremel tool. You'll be surprised at what it can cut through.

I was going to hit the Thanksgiving sale at Microcenter and build another desktop. But looking forward in time, decided to keep everything small and lightweight. Went down for the mail the other night, around 1:00AM. A young couple came down with all their posessions loaded in that elevator. Bailing out in the middle of the night. His 99 weeks prolly ran out. It's going to become very common place.

I'll still be going to the sale but will be looking at laptop coolers and maybe mobile battery backup. Another idea is to buy a parabolic antenna and grab the free signal coming out of McD's or Starbucks.
    the univ had dell laptop coolers for sale last week for a whopping $5.00

Just saying.

K-
    • “I am not afraid, because I was born to do this."

Joan of Arc
    Mark 8:38 - Whosoever therefore shall be ashamed of me and of my words in this adulterous and sinful generation; of him also shall the Son of man be ashamed, when he cometh in the glory of his Father with the holy angels.

Spent the whole day with my daughter, enjoying a trip to Port Townsend, and also took care of all the critter needs. Discovered a leak in our roof not long ago... Put a bowl under it and wrote my DH a note, set that by the coffee maker. I'll be adding another task to prepping to the Winter now- inspecting everything around here! If DH misses it, I better catch it before the weather gets bad.

Doc1 is offline Tree of Liberty Supporter

Default Wood stove hooked up

Our wood stove has been sitting under its chimney, unconnected, in the Bug Out Location for a few months now. As it's finally getting cool (yesterday morning was at 34 degrees), Cathy and I bought the stove pipe yesterday and spent today hooking everything up. Tonight it will get its inaugural burn

Fortunately, the previous owner had a wood stove and the double-insulated chimney was still in place AND in good condition. Installing out stove was fairly easy.

Best regards
    Doc

I made 8 lbs of hamburger into rocks (all I afford). The store advertised 85/15 ground beef at $1.79/lb., but I couldn't find it. The guy in the meat dept. had to get it out of the back for me. Maybe they were running low, or didn't get much stock. I wanted the 85/15 hoping to end up with more meat per lb. Glad I learned how to do this
    ~Kate

Mary is the Mother of Jesus and the Mother of all of us even though it was Christ alone who reposed on her knees… If he is ours, we ought to be in his situation; there where he is, we ought also to be and all that he has ought to be ours, and his mother is also our mother. —Martin Luther, Christmas Sermon, 1529.