Page 33 of 154 FirstFirst ... 2331323334354383133 ... LastLast

Thread: What did you do to prep today?

Quote Originally Posted by Summerthyme View Post
    On the french fries... nope, I just do them raw. Color is the best indicator... you want them about 3/4 of the way to "done". Then you can either deep fry them or simply put them in a hot oven (400-450°) for as long as it takes to get them a nice, toasty golden brown and hot all the way through...

Summerthyme
    Excellent do you have a favorite batter recipe you can share... probably should move this to the kitchen. I want to do mushrooms as well.

K-
    • “I am not afraid, because I was born to do this."

Joan of Arc
    Mark 8:38 - Whosoever therefore shall be ashamed of me and of my words in this adulterous and sinful generation; of him also shall the Son of man be ashamed, when he cometh in the glory of his Father with the holy angels.

Reverse prepped.....
    in other words, used a quart of chicken and a couple quarts of chicken stock to cook up a big ol pot of chicken and sausage gumbo.
    I chalked it up to 'quality testing'..............
    "I prefer peace. But if trouble must come, let it come in my time, so that my children can live in peace.
    Thomas Payne

MichiganPatriot Guest

Quote Originally Posted by liteluvr View Post
    Reverse prepped.....
    in other words, used a quart of chicken and a couple quarts of chicken stock to cook up a big ol pot of chicken and sausage gumbo.
    I chalked it up to 'quality testing'..............
    That sounds good! You could look at that as prepping... you're prepping your body by putting something good and nutritious into it!

MichiganPatriot Guest

Yesterday, we bought 40 lbs of beans. One 20lb bag of pinto beans, and twenty 1-lb bags of navy beans (since our walmart only seems to sell them in 1 or 2lb bags - and the 1lb bags are cheaper per ounce than the two lb bags.)

Mylar, O2 absorber, vacuum packed, and bucketed 150 lbs of hard white spring wheat, the 40lbs of beans, and a bunch of pasta.

We felt like we really accomplished something yesterday.

Oh, on Saturday, the wife made and canned pumpkin butter too. YUM!

Quote Originally Posted by MichiganPatriot View Post
    Yesterday, we bought 40 lbs of beans. One 20lb bag of pinto beans, and twenty 1-lb bags of navy beans (since our walmart only seems to sell them in 1 or 2lb bags - and the 1lb bags are cheaper per ounce than the two lb bags.)

Mylar, O2 absorber, vacuum packed, and bucketed 150 lbs of hard white spring wheat, the 40lbs of beans, and a bunch of pasta.

We felt like we really accomplished something yesterday.

Oh, on Saturday, the wife made and canned pumpkin butter too. YUM!
    Regarding that wheat - we have ours in food grade 5 gallon buckets with gamma lids; anyone recommend throwing and O2 abosrber in with it? We'll start using the stuff here in the next 6 - 8 months.

Thanks!
    'You have been warned of what they will do, you have a choice.
    Sit quiet and do nothing, wait until your hands are bound behind your back,
    and you are on your knees in a ditch, begging for your life!
    Or as an American, you had the privilege to be born free,
    If you wish to die free you better get up off your ass and make it happen.
    Stand and fight damn-it, if not these just might be the last words your hear,
    ‘AllahuAkbar! AllahuAkbar! AllahuAkbar!'

Nope... I've never found a really good, crisp batter for onions. Might want to ask in the kitchen... and then I'll try any suggestions as well.

On the wheat... if it's whole wheat berries and you're going to be using it within a year or two, no need for O2 absorbers. Cracked, rolled or ground grains would benefit from them, though

Summerthyme

Nope... I've never found a really good, crisp batter for onions. Might want to ask in the kitchen... and then I'll try any suggestions as well.

On the wheat... if it's whole wheat berries and you're going to be using it within a year or two, no need for O2 absorbers. Cracked, rolled or ground grains would benefit from them, though

Summerthyme

Gotcha - thanks. Yes, whole wheat berries (not to be confused with Frankenberries).

Wondering if I should keep in in the buckets with the pricey gamma lids or move to mylar and long term storage. Our goal is to move to grinding our own - which we would want to keep it handy, just wondering about having some emergency stuff set aside in case we were to run low, something happens, etc. I'm very wishy-washy today.....
    'You have been warned of what they will do, you have a choice.
    Sit quiet and do nothing, wait until your hands are bound behind your back,
    and you are on your knees in a ditch, begging for your life!
    Or as an American, you had the privilege to be born free,
    If you wish to die free you better get up off your ass and make it happen.
    Stand and fight damn-it, if not these just might be the last words your hear,
    ‘AllahuAkbar! AllahuAkbar! AllahuAkbar!'

Got the credit card bill today for last minute items, wrote the check and put it in the return mail.
    filled the last containers with Diesel, paying all of the first of the month bills.

MichiganPatriot Guest

Summerthyme
    Hey Summerthyme,

The wife and I saw a prepping video showing a guy demonstrating the one-time use hand warmers as an O2 absorber. He said the ingredients were the same thing, but they draw out more O2 than the ones you might get from the LDS, and I'm assuming better for use in large packs, or where there is a lot of air space like when packing egg noodles. Do you know anything about this? If so, it would be a LOT cheaper to use those. All it is is salt, iron filings, and one other ingredient (which I cant think of right now.)

I'll ask my wife for the youtube video link when I see her later.

Quote Originally Posted by packyderms_wife View Post
    Nearest LDS Cannery is 3.5 hours I'd have to go to Minneapoplis/St. Paul, Omaha, or Kansas City for the nearest one.
    If you decide to go to the KC cannery, DH and I can go down to help you do the canning. We took Wafflehouse last year. And since you're coming from a distance, we can put you up for the night. Nothing fancy, but beats a Motel 6.

Just PM me.