Page 62 of 154 FirstFirst ... 1252606162636472112 ... LastLast

Thread: What did you do to prep today?

Quote Originally Posted by Mama Ten Bears View Post
    To indulge my froufrou side, I bought several pretty glass bottles half priced at Hobby Lobby to use for storing herb vinegars and salad dressings.
    Last summer I sold wine vinegars at the local farmers' market. I had some old froufrou bottles that I filled. I sold them all--people said they were buying the vinegar for the cute bottles.

as close as you can get to Atlanta and still have chickens

i just got back from Wal*Mart where butter was finally on sale ($2/lb.) so i bought 10 pounds and they had bags of frozen shrimp and shrimp rings for $5/ea. so i bought 4.
    Respect God. Love your family. What else is there?

Ordered 6 60x80 red wool blankets from Harbor Freight for just over $32 shipped to my door (total).

Hit Home Depot with a stack of gift cards: trash bags, packages of 4 LED headlamps, packages of 2 LED flashlights, packages of 2 multi-tools and 2 knives, packages of 36 AA batteries, packages of 4 scissors (different sizes)----it was fun. $82 out the door. Will go back the day after Christmas to see if they put any on sale and use the rest of my gift cards. They had a ton left.

Quote Originally Posted by prudentwatcher View Post
    Ordered 6 60x80 red wool blankets from Harbor Freight for just over $32 shipped to my door (total).

Hit Home Depot with a stack of gift cards: trash bags, packages of 4 LED headlamps, packages of 2 LED flashlights, packages of 2 multi-tools and 2 knives, packages of 36 AA batteries, packages of 4 scissors (different sizes)----it was fun. $82 out the door. Will go back the day after Christmas to see if they put any on sale and use the rest of my gift cards. They had a ton left.
    I just bought 2 of the knife packs myself. The multi tool is a little heavy but for $9.99 for 2 sets in 1 box you cant beat it and I bought enough to give my brothers and my dad 1 for christmas! Can you say five bucks a person!
    Dont piss down my back and tell me its raining!

Quote Originally Posted by I.C.O.E.B.G. View Post
    I just bought 2 of the knife packs myself. The multi tool is a little heavy but for $9.99 for 2 sets in 1 box you cant beat it and I bought enough to give my brothers and my dad 1 for christmas! Can you say five bucks a person!
    I had no idea they had all of that stuff! I had so much fun just throwing stuff in the cart. I'll be going back on Sunday and I'll buy more if they have it, even if it isn't on sale. I figure it would make really good barter material, which is why I got 2 sets of the 4 headlamps.

I did go back and got 2 more of the 4 pack of headlamps, still $7 a pack. The 2 packs of LED flashlights were on sale for $2 each, so I got a bunch of those. They were out of the leatherman tools and I got another 36 pack of batteries (not on sale).

I've decided to clean up around here. Found that I had over 10 sets of sheets for our bed. Don't need nearly that many, so gave 3 away to an elderly friend. Also gave away two blankets and a quilt to same man. It's getting to around the low 20s here for the next few nights (somewhat unusual for Florida) so the timing was good. Also organized all of my fleece throws in one place, as well as all the doggie towels and sheets for covering stuff in the yard. Found I had pillowcases in three different places. Everything got washed today and some were donated, but I still have a nice stack left and packed in 2 plastic boxes.

I'm cleaning off my office shelves. Got rid of stuff I haven't used in years. Have my prep books all in one place now. Got a container to hold my stash of mechanical pencils and pens. Ran out of room for the colored pencils.

Reorganized the hallway closet. Moved all of the lamp oil in there, as well as most of the candles. All of the matches and lighters are in another part of the house, but at least the like things are grouped together and are easier to find.

I have to take advantage of my cleaning spurts when they happen---they are actually pretty rare, but I do manage to get a LOT done when they occur.

Prudent, I did the same thing the last few days. I had seven pillows too many, random sheets and pillowcases, all donated. I kept any blankets. I think in Texas, with enough blankets, we could survive winter without heat.

I have listed on craigslist some furniture that is just clutter. Reorganized my pantry and started tackling the jars and bottles that are spilling out into the kitchen and garage.
    Mama Ten Bears

I don't have 10 children, but I did see 10 bears on vacation once. Thought it'd be a cool screen name.

Quote Originally Posted by prudentwatcher View Post
    I had no idea they had all of that stuff! I had so much fun just throwing stuff in the cart. I'll be going back on Sunday and I'll buy more if they have it, even if it isn't on sale. I figure it would make really good barter material, which is why I got 2 sets of the 4 headlamps.
    Yeah, I went in today and got 2 packs of those headlamps! $7 bucks! They have alot of the knife packs left and I'm hoping they drop the price! Can you have enough knifes?!

Default I must've been a good girl this year!

Sandy Claws brought me a Kindle for Christmas, so I'm busy downloading a bunch of (free) classic books and organizing them into collections.

The only book I've decided to actually pay for (so far) is James Wesley, Rawles' (www.survivalblog.com) new book about surviving TEOTWAWKI.

Gotta say, gang--the Kindle is way cool, and doesn't eat hardly any juice. I'm not inclined to depend on it as a post-gridcrash prep, but it sure is cool to be able to tuck 3,500 books in the side pocket of my handbag. I'll now make optimum use of time spent waiting in line, at the doctor's office, etc. There is no substitute for expanding your knowledge base and skill set!
    All best,
    Cyberiot

Never try to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig. –Robert Heinlein

Quote Originally Posted by cyberiot View Post
    Sandy Claws brought me a Kindle for Christmas, so I'm busy downloading a bunch of (free) classic books and organizing them into collections.

The only book I've decided to actually pay for (so far) is James Wesley, Rawles' (www.survivalblog.com) new book about surviving TEOTWAWKI.

Gotta say, gang--the Kindle is way cool, and doesn't eat hardly any juice. I'm not inclined to depend on it as a post-gridcrash prep, but it sure is cool to be able to tuck 3,500 books in the side pocket of my handbag. I'll now make optimum use of time spent waiting in line, at the doctor's office, etc. There is no substitute for expanding your knowledge base and skill set!
    I use my Android phone to read but it drains the battery way to fast so I think I'll be picking up an ereader soon. somebody over @ Zombiehunters.org recommended the Velocity Cruz http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Velocity...ader&cp=1&lp=1 and for right around $100 bucks it does more than just ebooks.