Page 76 of 154 FirstFirst ... 2666747576777886126 ... LastLast

Thread: What did you do to prep today?

Planted 2 plums and 5 apples this afternoon. They arrived from Johnson's Nursery yesterday http://www.johnsonnursery.com/ . One of the plums is breaking dormancy already so if anybody wants any bare root trees, they better get on the ball. Johnson's is sold out of a lot, but still has some left.

Also did a walk through my garden, I have an asparagus spear ready to pick, and another breaking ground! I just planted my plants last year. Need to contact my supplier and see if they have any more. I got my asparagus and strawberry bare roots from Simmons Plant Farm in north Arkansas last year. They do not do online ordering, so you have to print and mail your order.

Purchased two 55 gallon water storage containers from www.baytec.com
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

Edmund Burke

Canned 18 pints chicken and 8 quarts chicken broth. Whew!

well, its kinda of an odd thing to call a prep-but Ive been informing my coworkers, we are a pretty tight knit team and they are interested and listening. been teaching some very basic prepping info. one of the girls is very young, has 2 little kids and a (IMHO leaching) spouse who doesn't work. shes scared to death for her little kids and I just found out she hasn't even been bringing lunches because they don't have the money (the aides make crap money especially considering how hard they work for it)- so several of us got together and started a basic prep box of food for them. I'm going to bring her some meat too, and she wants help starting a garden so will start transplants for several of them and her too. we're also talking about canning, I may get a canning party together and start teaching some who want experience in it. Been doing some individual education on how to put up grains, and am collating some recipes (on how to use prep foods) they may not know.
    Laura

Crazy is fractal.

Two Army surplus wool blankets, 100 feet of paracord, two lensmatic compasses, 40 AAA batteries, 48 AA batteries.
    http://www.thetreeofliberty.com/vb/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=7777&dateline=1296255  909 Just exactly WHEN, is the law so corrupted that it is immoral to obey it ?
    Citizens of Nazi Germany failed to answer that question correctly. Will the citizens of 21stCentury America do the same ?
    Or will they regain control of their government before it is too late ?

Quote Originally Posted by LMonty View Post
    well, its kinda of an odd thing to call a prep-but Ive been informing my coworkers, we are a pretty tight knit team and they are interested and listening. been teaching some very basic prepping info. one of the girls is very young, has 2 little kids and a (IMHO leaching) spouse who doesn't work. shes scared to death for her little kids and I just found out she hasn't even been bringing lunches because they don't have the money (the aides make crap money especially considering how hard they work for it)- so several of us got together and started a basic prep box of food for them. I'm going to bring her some meat too, and she wants help starting a garden so will start transplants for several of them and her too. we're also talking about canning, I may get a canning party together and start teaching some who want experience in it. Been doing some individual education on how to put up grains, and am collating some recipes (on how to use prep foods) they may not know.
    This is what it's all about. Loving your neighbor by helping them.

We really need to learn the garden. Apartment complexes don't give much room for that though.
    Proverbs 29:2, "...when the wicked beareth rule, the people mourn."

Acts 4:12
    "Neither is there salvation in any other: for there is none other name under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved."

Hebrews 13:8
    , "Jesus Christ the same yesterday, and to day, and for ever."

Revelation 3:11, "Behold, I come quickly: hold that fast which thou hast, that no man take thy crown."

Matthew 28:20, "...I am with you alway, even unto the end of the world. Amen."

So far this Winter we've had two "drills" courtesy of the weather. Long stretches of the electric being out. Both times we ate cold food and went to bed and listened to the shortwave!
    We got the wind pushing that storm West of here yesterday. Gusts of 50 mph+ at times. It was above freezing and the temperature in the house didn't fall much below 60- so we lucked out there.

Dinner was bread, sliced Spam and cheese. A little bit of hot soup would have been nice. We have our Coleman stove we use for camping, but I couldn't have kept it going in that wind yesterday!

We have an LED lantern and it's nice, but honestly doesn't throw out that much light. Nice for navigating through the house though. No worries putting it on the nightstand either.

Soooooo
    Today I bought-

A small Sterno stove. It's safe to use in the house. The GasOne butane burners look nifty, but I have a feeling it's hard to find the cannisters. Sterno is widely available, so I'll just add some to the supplies.

A second hand Comet percolator on Ebay.

I'm headed for the Dollar Store later to pick up pillar candles and "hurricane" glass covers. My candle supply has dribbled down to jars of fragrant things which don't put out much light. Perhaps if we had enough light for reading or knitting in the living room, we wouldn't have to flee to bed at sundown!

And I bought some cans of coffee just because the Amazon price was way better than the $5.19 for a small can I saw at the market the other day!
    "This is my Father's world.
    O let me ne'er forget
    that though the wrong seems oft so strong,
    God is the ruler yet."

Don't pay the store price for sterno, it's way to expensive. Go to a party store and buy the generic version, it's about half the price. You can buy a case and nobody will blink an eye-just say it's for a party and you already have the warming pans. Sterno doesn't do well at boiling food, but it heats up soup, stews and chili just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by prudentwatcher View Post
    Don't pay the store price for sterno, it's way to expensive. Go to a party store and buy the generic version, it's about half the price. You can buy a case and nobody will blink an eye-just say it's for a party and you already have the warming pans. Sterno doesn't do well at boiling food, but it heats up soup, stews and chili just fine.
    Thanks for the tip! I'll check next time I'm in town.
    Now I'm on the lookout for a small aluminum pan - Goodwill should have them. (I won't normally use aluminum cookware, but in an emergency, sure) Just being able to heat up a small pan of water would allow us to have some instant soup or a cup of tea.
    "This is my Father's world.
    O let me ne'er forget
    that though the wrong seems oft so strong,
    God is the ruler yet."

Woo hoo!

I've had a bad case of Outdoor Canning Setup Envy ever since Navajo posted pics of his in The Kitchen last year.

Finally pulled the trigger on a two-burner propane stove from Lehman's. Get this: Each burner puts out 30,000 BTUs! Can't wait for it to get here!
    All best,
    Cyberiot

Never try to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig. –Robert Heinlein