Page 77 of 154 FirstFirst ... 2767757677787987127 ... LastLast

Thread: What did you do to prep today?

I had a stack of Toys R Us gift cards that I got practically for free and I've been taking care of a little one every once in a while. I have no baby stuff and decided that was a hole in the preps that needed to be filled. Today: portable crib/playpen; sleepers and onesies in sizes NB-12 mos; some bibs and receiving blankets; misc stuff like rattles and teethers. Put all the clothing and stuff in a rubbermaid tote. Have enough for several changes for each size now. Also ordered some cloth diapers from Amazon. I don't have kids, won't have kids (now 4, don't know a lot of people with kids, especially little ones, but I've felt led to prep for the babies. I have toys and stuff for older kids, but don't feel led to get clothing for them right now. Spent over $450 in gift cards today.

Reloaded 200 rounds for the AR15, dehydrated 2 bunches of leeks, 2 bunches of celery and test dehydrated a bunch of broccoli... wasn't sure how it would turn out. Need to rehydrate it and see...
    "I prefer peace. But if trouble must come, let it come in my time, so that my children can live in peace.
    Thomas Payne

Potted up about 50 more Comfrey Plants, set out over 100 Comfrey Roots to sprout, and formulated a plan. DH will be building me a shelf (to fit a 4' X 5' window) and I am using my enclosed porch as an attached greenhouse (big S facing window, tall 8 foot door mostly clear glass, and very warm). My drop leaf table will be moved into our living room in front of a much bigger window, E facing which is fine for its purpose. I am not waiting for it to warm up enough for my unheated little greenhouse! Just read a forecast for a wet Spring, so will be working with whatever weather we face.

Cyberiot... just be careful... that's a LOT of heat for a canning kettle, and it's difficult to control. (I have one.. ask me how I know!)

Usually you can control it for actual canning, using the knobs on the propane cylinders and the individual ones to the burners as well. However, I've found it's impossible to turn it down to a "simmer" enough to heat apples or tomatoes without scorching the bottoms, even with my very heavy (triple clad stainless/aluminum/stainless bottoms) duty stockpots.

I'm not sure if there might be a different sort of regulator that you might be able to get at a local propane dealer which might help.

I finally found that I could prevent a lot of scorching (although I had a couple instances of scorching on the SIDES of the kettles with both apples and tomatoes!) by putting a canning kettle rack on the bottom of the kettle and putting 1/2" of water in before putting in tomatoes or apples. (I cook both of those fruits just to softness before running them through the victorio/squeezo strainer. It saves a TON of work turning the strainer (even though tomatoes will go through raw) and leaves a lot less waste.. all you have left is seeds and a little bit of dry skins.)

The added water isn't that much to make a big difference in the time required to cook down for tomato sauce or ketchup, and doesn't really seem to affect the applesauce at all.

Just be prepared to watch it REALLY closely the first time you use your pressure canner on it.

Summerthyme

the past several evenings my husband and I are working on an up to date prep list for different survival scenarios. We are working on updating our inventory and developing a new prep storage location. We listed to John Galt tonight (that counts too)

Quote Originally Posted by Summerthyme View Post
    Cyberiot... just be careful... that's a LOT of heat for a canning kettle, and it's difficult to control. (I have one.. ask me how I know!)

Usually you can control it for actual canning, using the knobs on the propane cylinders and the individual ones to the burners as well. However, I've found it's impossible to turn it down to a "simmer" enough to heat apples or tomatoes without scorching the bottoms, even with my very heavy (triple clad stainless/aluminum/stainless bottoms) duty stockpots.

I'm not sure if there might be a different sort of regulator that you might be able to get at a local propane dealer which might help.

I finally found that I could prevent a lot of scorching (although I had a couple instances of scorching on the SIDES of the kettles with both apples and tomatoes!) by putting a canning kettle rack on the bottom of the kettle and putting 1/2" of water in before putting in tomatoes or apples. (I cook both of those fruits just to softness before running them through the victorio/squeezo strainer. It saves a TON of work turning the strainer (even though tomatoes will go through raw) and leaves a lot less waste.. all you have left is seeds and a little bit of dry skins.)

The added water isn't that much to make a big difference in the time required to cook down for tomato sauce or ketchup, and doesn't really seem to affect the applesauce at all.

Just be prepared to watch it REALLY closely the first time you use your pressure canner on it.

Summerthyme
    Will do!

Thanks for the heads-up, Summerthyme. I don't want to blow myself up any sooner than strictly necessary!

This purchase was the result of my being unable to bring my waterbath canner up to a rolling boil on my electric burner at 1,148 feet. (BOL has gas, no so problemo there.) Time's a-wasting, as the citrus here is ready to be picked, juiced, and canned. I plan to do all prep work inside, and use the outdoor burners only for actual processing.

I might invest in one of those heat-spreader plates that go atop gas and woodstove burners to add another layer of control for my pressure canner.
    All best,
    Cyberiot

Never try to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig. –Robert Heinlein

I am currently buying salt and figuring out no-metal containers to store it in. Just the regular ole kind, we don't have any block type available around here.

Oh, forgot, I am also buying blackberry plants. Excited about that. :)

Built another AR15.
    Focusing now on cardio by mountain biking every day after work on my way home.
    Getting the garden planted tomorrow.

Just got in from planting Lettuce, Chard, Carrots and Radishes in one of my raised beds. Then came in and started Cilantro, Oregano, Chives, and Basil. Yesterday I started bell peppers, serano peppers, and some herbs( know tansy was one but the others leave my memory at the moment.

We have our bottle baby doeling out in the big pen visiting with her goat family today. Beautiful day here in l.a.

And we took the family to church today for the first time in a while.

canned.
    8 quarts of beanie weenies
    13 quarts of Marinara Sacue Nemacolin
    14 pints of cream of chicken soup
    4 jars of old-fashioned apples and cherries
    4 pints of beef
    12 pints of cream of mushroom soup

and more tomorrow!
    I'm canning like there's no tomorrow!

**Now, if someone would tell me where the heck to put all the's jars, I'd really appreciate it! LOL