Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Great recipe for leftover chicken or turkey

Default Great recipe for leftover chicken or turkey

I was just making this for company coming over this afternoon and thought others might like this recipe too. It is a fantastic recipe.

Chicken Almond Casserole

4 cups diced cooked chicken or turkey
    2 cups diced celery
    1/4 c onion
    2 cups croutons (I use Peppridge Farms Seasoned Stuffing cubes)
    8 oz shredded cheddar (I use sharp cheddar)
    1 cup mayo (do not use Miracle Whip as it will make it too sweet)
    1/2 cup milk
    1 tsp salt
    1/2 cup slivered almonds (You can add or reduce the almonds depending on how much you love them or not. But the almonds make the dish and is the subtle flavor that brings the rest of the ingredients together.)

Mix everything except the mayo and milk together. Then mix the mayo and milk together in a separate bowl. Add the mayo mix to the rest of the ingredients.

Place in 11 X 9 pan, cover with aluminum foil, bake at 350 for 25 minutes.
    Uncover and continue baking another 5-15 min to crisp up the top.

If you love casseroles - you will love this one. It has to be my all time favorite.
    'A person with an experience is never at the mercy of a person with an argument,'" writes von Campe

Thank you, sounds good! I will surely be using it this winter for leftover turkey.

Thank you so much Emily!! This one will be addes to my stack today. I have leftover turkey in the freezer right now and I was wondering what I was going to do with it. You have saved the day and it sounds like a lot more. Hugs, AL

Sounds excellent! Do you toast the almonds first?

Quote Originally Posted by GoodEnergy View Post
    Sounds excellent! Do you toast the almonds first?
    I have not toasted them but that sure sounds like a great idea! Couldn't hurt.
    'A person with an experience is never at the mercy of a person with an argument,'" writes von Campe

Quote Originally Posted by Animal Lover View Post
    Thank you so much Emily!! This one will be addes to my stack today. I have leftover turkey in the freezer right now and I was wondering what I was going to do with it. You have saved the day and it sounds like a lot more. Hugs, AL
    I hope your family likes it.

I had some suggestions from folks yesterday - I am going to leave out the added salt in the recipe. As we all get older, we just don't need the extra salt and there is plenty of it in the cheese and croutons.
    If you use your own home made croutons, which I have also done in the past, then depending on how you have added spices to them, eliminating adding any additional salt to the recipe might help tone it down.

People can always add their own salt at the table.

Hugs back dear friend.

as a single guy, i dont often have a lot of time to cook, so this is what i do

pot pie
    i get a couple of frozen deep dish pie crusts
    couple cans of gravy
    bag of frozen veggies
    1/2-1 pound of cheese (swiss is good, and i use a whole pound)

thaw the pie crusts and line a casserole dish with one of them
    cook the frozen veggies a little bit (they wont cook all the way in the pot pie)
    mix up the filling (veggies, gravy and leftover meat)
    put half the cheese on the bottom crust and put the filling in.
    put the other half of the cheese on top
    put the other thawed pie crust on top (takes some working it to get it to cover the whole thing)

bake until the pie crusts are brown and the filling is bubbling

does anyone have a better recipe for pot pie?

Quote Originally Posted by wafflehouse View Post
    as a single guy, i dont often have a lot of time to cook, so this is what i do

pot pie
    i get a couple of frozen deep dish pie crusts
    couple cans of gravy
    bag of frozen veggies
    1/2-1 pound of cheese (swiss is good, and i use a whole pound)

thaw the pie crusts and line a casserole dish with one of them
    cook the frozen veggies a little bit (they wont cook all the way in the pot pie)
    mix up the filling (veggies, gravy and leftover meat)
    put half the cheese on the bottom crust and put the filling in.
    put the other half of the cheese on top
    put the other thawed pie crust on top (takes some working it to get it to cover the whole thing)

bake until the pie crusts are brown and the filling is bubbling

does anyone have a better recipe for pot pie?
    That sounds GREAT! Thank you.

I have made a casserole similar to that but using Campbell's soup for variations instead of the jarred gravy.
    Cream of Mushroom and Cream of Celery are two standbys.

I have not done the pot pie variation though. Thank you for the idea.

I made Emily's recipe last night and it's excellent! I didn't have any celery, but we're not crazy about it so no big loss. DH, who doesn't particularly like casseroles went back for seconds. High praise that is.

Quote Originally Posted by GoodEnergy View Post
    I made Emily's recipe last night and it's excellent! I didn't have any celery, but we're not crazy about it so no big loss. DH, who doesn't particularly like casseroles went back for seconds. High praise that is.
    I am so glad they liked it. Not sure how it tastes without the celery (I actually add extra when I make a small batch for myself, as I love it)

But it sounds like it turned out great. Did you replace the celery with anything? I wonder what cucumber or lettuce would taste like as a replacement.

Surprisingly, lettuce actually holds its crunch even in soups and casseroles.

I have another recipe for BLT soup and it is great. Loaded with calories but great. I made this up myself after having something similar in a restaurant once - so you are welcome to play around with the quantities to suit your own taste.

2 cans cream of celery soup (or cream of mushroom I guess)
    1 quart half and half (you can add milk to this if you feel the soup is too thick
    1 pound of cooked bacon plus 1/4 cup of the fat of the bacon from frying it
    1/2 head of lettuce shredded
    1 large tomato diced (meat of the tomato only) juice and seeds removed

Simmer for about 20 minutes to let the flavors all blend. Stirring often or constantly.