Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Great recipe for leftover chicken or turkey

I didn't substitute anything for the left-out celery. I wanted to try the basic first. I do plan to get some celery to dehydrate and will try the recipe with it. I also think it'd be great with either brocolli or cauliflower, which we love. It's always nice to find a new recipe. I'm sooooo tired of everything I cook. Thanks.

Emily, this was wonderful and hubby has to have his finger slapped when I am chopping veggies, because he will eat all of them before they get into the recipe! He loves raw celery. I made croquets out of the leftovers for my grown..working children. I know they will love it too. Now your soup sounds delightful too. I think I would do it with Swiss Chard. What do you think? It is coming up to the soup cooking season. A favorite time of year for me. As I suspect it is for a lot of people. God bless and thanks for sharing everyone. AL

Quote Originally Posted by GoodEnergy View Post
    I didn't substitute anything for the left-out celery. I wanted to try the basic first. I do plan to get some celery to dehydrate and will try the recipe with it. I also think it'd be great with either brocolli or cauliflower, which we love. It's always nice to find a new recipe. I'm sooooo tired of everything I cook. Thanks.
    Great ideas - I think broccoli would be a fantastic substitute. Not sure about cauliflower but that is my personal preference.

You can always try different cheeses too - have fun with it!
    'A person with an experience is never at the mercy of a person with an argument,'" writes von Campe

Quote Originally Posted by Animal Lover View Post
    Emily, this was wonderful and hubby has to have his finger slapped when I am chopping veggies, because he will eat all of them before they get into the recipe! He loves raw celery. I made croquets out of the leftovers for my grown..working children. I know they will love it too. Now your soup sounds delightful too. I think I would do it with Swiss Chard. What do you think? It is coming up to the soup cooking season. A favorite time of year for me. As I suspect it is for a lot of people. God bless and thanks for sharing everyone. AL
    I am so glad the family liked it. Hope you are feeling better dear friend.
    'A person with an experience is never at the mercy of a person with an argument,'" writes von Campe

PERFECT!

Thank-you so much.

My DH has been skipping dinner and making NACHOS.

Grrrr.

He'll eat this though, betcha anything.

And it gives me something to do with my celery AND leftover chicken AND croutons.

Perfect.

Bless.

Okay- in the oven.
    A little less celery, some broccoli, and some onion.

I used stuffing mix instead of croutons (which I was going to have to make), and added some gravy to help hydrate the stuffing in addition to the milk and mayo.

DH made nachos again.
    Grrrr.

But he said he's looking forward to the casserole, so he can live.

NOW the carcass is down to soup-ready.
    That is started too.

I'll probably run the soup and any leftover casserole to a friend tomorrow.

Thank-you again.

Bless.

I made this last night using left-over chicken. I substituted mozzarella cheese rather than cheddar since mozzarella was what I had. It came out great!

Quote Originally Posted by Jezcruzen View Post
    I made this last night using left-over chicken. I substituted mozzarella cheese rather than cheddar since mozzarella was what I had. It came out great!
    Thank you for the idea. I always love to hear how the recipe can turn out with variety of left overs.

I am going to try that too!

Default thank you for these recipes!

Single guy, also poor, so I buy Turkey for it's inexpensiveness and high protien-to-fat ratio, but by the time I get thru one I am SO burnt out on eating it, I end up giving the better part of it to my dog (I don't particularly like the breast meat, unless it's disguised).

The other day I also tried something different with it, A hybrid of Tuna Noodle casserole, and Green Bean casserole.
    easy to make and bake!

I took one large Turkey breast and tore it up into chunks, while boiling up some egg noodles, tossed them together, added a can of green beans with the liquid, and a can of cream of mushroom soup, liberally sprinkled with coarse black pepper, and topped with French's fried onion thingys.

It came out absolutely delicious! ( I could still taste the white meat though) I hope you like my idea as well, and it should work just as well with leftovers from Turkey day if you love that green bean casserole like I do!

Quote Originally Posted by WarHall View Post
    Single guy, also poor, so I buy Turkey for it's inexpensiveness and high protien-to-fat ratio, but by the time I get thru one I am SO burnt out on eating it, I end up giving the better part of it to my dog (I don't particularly like the breast meat, unless it's disguised).

The other day I also tried something different with it, A hybrid of Tuna Noodle casserole, and Green Bean casserole.
    easy to make and bake!

I took one large Turkey breast and tore it up into chunks, while boiling up some egg noodles, tossed them together, added a can of green beans with the liquid, and a can of cream of mushroom soup, liberally sprinkled with coarse black pepper, and topped with French's fried onion thingys.

It came out absolutely delicious! ( I could still taste the white meat though) I hope you like my idea as well, and it should work just as well with leftovers from Turkey day if you love that green bean casserole like I do!
    What a great idea! Thank you.

I agree - white meat is too dry. I will often make Turkey salad with it as in: Mayo or Miracle whip, celery, onion, salt and pepper. Then it is tolerable.

The other way I have found a quick, cheap, and delicious way to use up left over chicken or turkey when there is not enough for a recipe or no time to make one, is cut it up, put it in a fry pan and add Italian Salad Dressing. It is amazing how good it tastes with those spices in it and the oil in the dressing serves as a base so that it doesn't burn in the pan.