Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Great recipe for leftover chicken or turkey

Thanks Emily for the recipe, it look good! I'm going sub in Kale and swiss chard stalks/ stems, as my family doesn't like Broccoli or caulifower.
    Contentment is NOT the fufillment of what you want but the realization of how much you already have.

Quote Originally Posted by Homesteader1 View Post
    Thanks Emily for the recipe, it look good! I'm going sub in Kale and swiss chard stalks/ stems, as my family doesn't like Broccoli or caulifower.
    Awesome! Please let us know how it turns out.

I just canned a bunch of Kale.
    'A person with an experience is never at the mercy of a person with an argument,'" writes von Campe

homesteader, good idea about the swiss chard!

We have a favorite chicken casserole (sort of) recipe that could probably be altered to use leftover chicken as well.

We lay raw chicken breasts (could probably use leftover diced chicken) in a casserole dish, then cover each one with a slice of swiss cheese, cover the whole thing with stuffing of your choice, then dump a jar of chicken gravy (or homemade if you have it) on top.

I cook this at about 375 for an hour or so until the chicken tests done.

Quantities depend on how big a dish you have, how many chicken breasts, etc. as well as personal preference of course.

Turns out delicious and some cranberry sauce makes it thanksgiving dinner any night!

If you use leftover meat, wouldn't have to cook as long, I'm sure...

Emily - we used your casserole w/our leftover turkey tonight...Big Hit! Even DH (who is not a casserole kind of guy) had 2nds :)
    wearing the babushka with pride...

Quote Originally Posted by h_oder View Post
    Emily - we used your casserole w/our leftover turkey tonight...Big Hit! Even DH (who is not a casserole kind of guy) had 2nds :)
    Awesome! Thank you for the update!
    'A person with an experience is never at the mercy of a person with an argument,'" writes von Campe

Funny this thread should rise to the top again. I'm making a double batch today. One for dinner and one for a friend who'll be having some surgery so she'll have a meal in the freezer. Anyone who hasn't tried it really should.

Oh boy! Ymmmmm. I was wondering what to do with the last of the turkey today.

Thanks!
    -
    -

I love recipe threads.

I wonder if the OP recipe would work with plain yogurt instead of mayonaise?

Quote Originally Posted by Savedforever View Post
    I love recipe threads.

I wonder if the OP recipe would work with plain yogurt instead of mayonaise?
    It might if you use enough cheese to offer sufficient oil to give the balance.

You may want to try a small batch as the recipe is written to see the way it was intended and then try it with yogurt to see if you get the same results.
    My concern is that the yogurt will be absorbed and the results may be drier.