Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Amazing 5 Minute prep Beer and Cheese Bread

Default Some adaptations

Living in High elevation Desert makes it necessary to adapt recipes for my area, and since I went from just wanting to know how to make bread to making it out of need, I learned some things. Out here, I always add extra liquid- almost a 1/4 cup per loaf. I always add extra yeast, not much but a little, spillover from measuring above the bowl. Adding egg white makes a huge difference in the quality of the bread. Since I moved on to whole wheat bread, I still have to use "better for bread" flour on a roughly 1:3 ratio (one cup white for every 3 of wheat, why , I'm not sure) and now, look, you are getting me into experimenting with liquids and herbs! I am going to make this asap, I made jalapeno- cheese bread, and although it didn't turn out the way I wanted ( I used canned jalepenos instead of fresh, making for a higher moisture content) it was still very delicious- looking forward to messing up even more bread with recipes like this one!

I'm fixing to try this recipe tomorrow.

For the folks who used onion instead of dill, did you use fresh, minced...or dried diced?

SO doesn't like dill, so the onion/cheese combo sounds good to me. He's kinda grossed out about using beer in bread, but he'll try it....He's very picky.

Of course, I'll report in when it's done.

JJ

Well, it rose just fine.

I used 1/2 c. wheat flour, the rest A/P flour.

I did not add any onions, just the cheese. Used a dark metal loaf pan

Buttered the crust when I pulled it out of the oven. A very pretty loaf.

The inside was awful....like it wasn't done, by a long shot. Very wet, and dense. Didn't smell like fresh bread at all, either. More like hot beer.

And I like beer.

I sampled a heel, and threw the rest in the trash.

<sigh>
    Any hints on what may have happened?

well, I made it, too. My dh loves that expensive olive loaf (at $5 a loaf) so I adapted this recipe, added half a can of olives to it and he was happy. I actually made two small loaves because I didn't know A) if the inside would cook and B) how much they would raise. He loved them, even thought they are a little short in stature, but they were done in the middle. He just cuts them in half lengthwise, and in half again to fit into the toaster and he's happy. I used 1 cup of whole wheat flour in my first recipe but I'm going to go back to the original recipe next time, as the bread was a little denser than we prefer but then again I used cold beer and maybe it would have risen a little more if the beer had been warm, rather than cold. Oh, and I did add 1 TBS of gluten flour, too. Next time, I'm going to add some sunflower seeds, and garlic...oh yum, thanks for the recipe. rosie

My beer was room temp, and I also added 1T gluten.

Its like the grain of the bread looked "cakey" as opposed to bread.

No holes in it.

Help please?

Quote Originally Posted by stringbean View Post
    My beer was room temp, and I also added 1T gluten.

Its like the grain of the bread looked "cakey" as opposed to bread.

No holes in it.

Help please?
    If it is cooked clear through it will not be cakey. If the oven door stays closed...some folks peak.....you may have to adjust for your altitude, mine is sea level remember this...although we live up high on the island....so I also have to say I didn't add gluten but I only use unbleached flour and that is also important. It doesn't sound like it raised enough. Was the crust nice and golden on top and underneath? It may have needed more time in the oven. Also make sure it sits for at least five minutes to cool prior to slicing...what size pan did you use? For faster bread and lighter perhaps put it in a round cake pan or a cast iron skillet...that is a great way to do it.
    As the sun sets over the water, the air is drenched with the nuances of honeysuckles mixed with other florals, roses plus pines and the waves kick up the deep water scents combined. It is my gift for a time to see this, through the windows of my realm....borrowed and quite treasured with every moment in time.

Have a lovely Day
    Romy
    Island Girl
    www.romysrealm.com
    www.kefirwellness.com
    www.romysrealm.blogspot.com