Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Amazing 5 Minute prep Beer and Cheese Bread

Happy Camper Here!! Excellent and fast recipe. It is a keeper. AL

Quote Originally Posted by Animal Lover View Post
    It is now in the oven Islandgirl Romy. I had to use onion in place of dill as hubby doesn't like dill. (I do). Anyway, I will let you know after dinner. This is so easy, it seems hard to believe doesn't it?? AL
    It was wonderful. I forgot to say a big THANK YOU. We enjoyed it with onion in place of the Dill. But hubby said next time, to just use the extra sharp cheddar. It made great toasted cheese sandwiches for lunch today too. AL

I'm making it tonight!

Quote Originally Posted by joyfulheart View Post
    I'm making it tonight!
    Yum AL

Sounds sooo good; I'll make two; one for hubby since I can't eat cheese, and one for me!
    Don't wait to prep when there is an emergency - it's too late.

I made it but I totally messed it up.

First, I was out of plain flour, so I used self-rising flour. but I wasn't sure IF I should go ahead and add the baking powder... so I did.

It was extra dry as a dough, should have been my first clue. But when I cooked it, it never rose, turned into a beautiful smelling but awfully dense and tough loaf of flat cardboard.

I am such a retard when it comes to baking, LOL

I'm going totry again next week, got some regular flour today.

Can I ask what the consistency is SUPPOSED to be of the dough (before baking), and how dense is it supposed to be after baking?

Quote Originally Posted by joyfulheart View Post
    I made it but I totally messed it up.

First, I was out of plain flour, so I used self-rising flour. but I wasn't sure IF I should go ahead and add the baking powder... so I did.

It was extra dry as a dough, should have been my first clue. But when I cooked it, it never rose, turned into a beautiful smelling but awfully dense and tough loaf of flat cardboard.

I am such a retard when it comes to baking, LOL

I'm going totry again next week, got some regular flour today.

Can I ask what the consistency is SUPPOSED to be of the dough (before baking), and how dense is it supposed to be after baking?
    Your dough should be a little sticky prior to baking. It needs only mixed up not kneaded. For your finished bread it should be like a hearty bread but not dense as you described. Mine is never tough...I guess I have not had a tough bread before. Don't be hard on yourself, try again like you said...this is a good one to enjoy!

An important question...did you use a freshly opened beer at room temp? If it is flat it will not rise! Only use this recipe with an unopened beer. That is how you can skip the yeast and rising process.

It will be fine. Just pour it into your greased bread pan and kind of shape it with your fingers. No kneading. I put a wee bit of butter on top of mine because I like a soft crust. Also butter it when it comes out of the oven for the same reason. It will be perfect for you this time around AL IslandGirl gave us a goody

Quote Originally Posted by islandgirl romy View Post
    Your dough should be a little sticky prior to baking. It needs only mixed up not kneaded. For your finished bread it should be like a hearty bread but not dense as you described. Mine is never tough...I guess I have not had a tough bread before. Don't be hard on yourself, try again like you said...this is a good one to enjoy!

An important question...did you use a freshly opened beer at room temp? If it is flat it will not rise! Only use this recipe with an unopened beer. That is how you can skip the yeast and rising process.
    The beer was cold from the fridge-- is that bad?
    It was unopened. All we had was cans of Budweiser, so that's what I used.

Mine was a cheapie cold one straight out of the fridge. It was fine.