Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tuscan White Bean Casserole

Default Tuscan White Bean Casserole

Recipe consists of casserole and topping.

Casserole:

1 tbsp olive oil
    1 med onion finely chopped (I used reconstituted dry just fine)
    2 cloves garlic finely chopped (used bottled)
    1 tsp herbes de Provence
    salt and pepper
    2 19 oz cans white beans (I used cannellini since it's an Italian dish) convert to soaked dried if using dried.
    1 roasted red bell pepper (I used jarred roasted red bell pepper and just chopped it and added till it looked like enough ) YMMV
    1/4 cup dry white wine (I used white cooking wine)
    1/4 cup finely chopped parsley

Preheat oven to 350. Heat oil in skillet. Add onion and saute. Add garlic and saute one minute more. Combine all the onion mixture and remaining ingredients in a baking dish, cover with a lid or foil, and bake for 1 hour.

Topping:

2 cups fresh breadcrumbs (I used crushed Glutino crackers since we're gluten-free)
    1 tsp herbes de Provence
    2 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
    1 tsp minced garlic (used bottled)
    1/4 cup olive oil
    salt and pepper to taste

Combine topping ingredients in a bowl. Mix well. After casserole has baked for 1 hour, remove cover, sprinkle with topping and bake until topping is golden brown, about 5 minutes.

I make this with dried veggies, fresh herbs, and stored crackers/roasted red bell peppers. Everything was from storage. YUM!!! Hubby loved it.
    Mama Ten Bears

I don't have 10 children, but I did see 10 bears on vacation once. Thought it'd be a cool screen name.

It sounds wonderful! Thanks for posting.

This does sound like a good change from my regular baked beans. I have saved lots of dried beans of different kinds. This will make a nice change. thanks for sharing. AL

Liberty is offline Tree of Liberty Supporter

It sounds very good, but what is herbes de Provence? I'd probably leave it out or find a substitute, because I've never run into any other recipe that calls for it. What's it similar to?

Herbes de Provence is a French formula of mixed herbs. They are: savory, thyme, Rosemary, basil, tarragon, and lavender. You can buy it premixed innearly any grocery store. Or you can find a recipe to mix your own and bottle it. I use it a lot. Definitely don't leave it out.
    Mama Ten Bears

I don't have 10 children, but I did see 10 bears on vacation once. Thought it'd be a cool screen name.

sounds yummy and I'm def gonna try this, thank you

One question...I thought savory and thyme were the same thing...do you grow your savory-or where are you finding it?

Thanks!!
    ~Pyrate~

"Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Hmm. Never heard that thyme and savory were the same thing. But, I did just read elsewhere that some people consider oregano and marjoram the same thing. Never thought that before either.

I just bought a bottle of herbes de Provence at the store. But, last year I did grow both savory and thyme. They looked different to me.
    Mama Ten Bears

They are not the same. I love lavender, but not in food, so I always make my mixtures for cooking. Love growing herbs too. It is about all we can grow here. I would like to find some Mexican oregano as I have heard it has a milder flavor than my mediteranian one, but I can't find any seeds for it. I'll keep trying for next year. AL

Sounds similar to Cassoulet, the hard part is finding the cannelli beans in bulk in my area.

K-
    • “I am not afraid, because I was born to do this."

Joan of Arc
    Mark 8:38 - Whosoever therefore shall be ashamed of me and of my words in this adulterous and sinful generation; of him also shall the Son of man be ashamed, when he cometh in the glory of his Father with the holy angels.

• “I am not afraid, because I was born to do this."

Joan of Arc
    Mark 8:38 - Whosoever therefore shall be ashamed of me and of my words in this adulterous and sinful generation; of him also shall the Son of man be ashamed, when he cometh in the glory of his Father with the holy angels.