Thread: Tamale Pie

Default Tamale Pie

Another old family recipe by general request...

Tamale Pie

This is an “Old Love.” Way back in depression days Tamale Pie made an inexpensive supper, and it still does.

1½ cups cold water
    2 tbs. Flour
    1½ cups yellow cornmeal
    1 tsp. Chili powder
    1½ tsp. Salt
    1 can (1 lb.) Tomato sauce
    2 cups boiling water
    1 can (8¾ oz.) Whole kernel corn, drained (1 cup)
    1 lb. Ground chuck or ground round
    ½ cup onion, chopped

Combine and mix cold water and corn meal. Add ½ tsp. Salt to boiling water. Add corn meal mixture, stirring constantly, bring to a boil. Partially cover pan; cook slowly 7 minutes, stirring often. Line bottom and sides of greased 2 quart casserole with cooked mush. Cook beef and onion in frying pan until beef is brown and crumbly. Stir in flour, remaining tsp. Salt and chili powder. Add tomatoes, breaking them op into chinks with spoon. Stir in tomato sauce and corn into mush lined casserole. Bake at 350º until hot and bubbly 40 to 45 minutes. Makes 6 servings.
    "I prefer peace. But if trouble must come, let it come in my time, so that my children can live in peace.
    Thomas Payne

Thanks for sharing this recipe, it's delicious We don't add the corn tho.
    I first found in a La League Cookbook many year ago.

I see the tomato sauce in your recipe but I don't see tomatoes listed. What kind (fresh, canned) and how much? It sounds very good and I'd like to try this, but I got a bit confused when it came to the tomatoes.
    Everything is always alright in the end.
    If it is not alright, then its not the end.

Me personally, I use tomato sauce.
    "I prefer peace. But if trouble must come, let it come in my time, so that my children can live in peace.
    Thomas Payne

Well, that's near the recipie my mom used in the 1930's!
    We scrimpped on the tomatoes and the meat and the flour!
    Pork fat, corn, chilie powder, maybe a 'Matter', maybe some mystery meat!

It's not what's in the pot that counts. It's what is contained within the hearth, it's the preservation of family, community, values, religion and culture. Hope for tommorow.
    That is what is ladeled into each bowl, the next generation. That is why one builds a fire, to feed a nation.
    They swore, if we gave them our weapons, that the wars of the tribes would cease.
    “As a general rule, the earlier you recognize someone is trying to kill you, the better off you’ll be.”

"You think a wall as solid as the earth separates civilisation from barbarism. I tell you the division is a sheet of glass."

Quote Originally Posted by liteluvr View Post
    Another old family recipe by general request...

Tamale Pie

This is an “Old Love.” Way back in depression days Tamale Pie made an inexpensive supper, and it still does.

1½ cups cold water
    2 tbs. Flour
    1½ cups yellow cornmeal
    1 tsp. Chili powder
    1½ tsp. Salt
    1 can (1 lb.) Tomato sauce
    2 cups boiling water
    1 can (8¾ oz.) Whole kernel corn, drained (1 cup)
    1 lb. Ground chuck or ground round
    ½ cup onion, chopped

Combine and mix cold water and corn meal. Add ½ tsp. Salt to boiling water. Add corn meal mixture, stirring constantly, bring to a boil. Partially cover pan; cook slowly 7 minutes, stirring often. Line bottom and sides of greased 2 quart casserole with cooked mush. Cook beef and onion in frying pan until beef is brown and crumbly. Stir in flour, remaining tsp. Salt and chili powder. Add tomatoes, breaking them op into chinks with spoon. Stir in tomato sauce and corn into mush lined casserole. Bake at 350º until hot and bubbly 40 to 45 minutes. Makes 6 servings.
    Just wanted to let you know I fixed this last night for the first time. It was awesome. My DH normally doesn't like casserole type dishes but he had a second helping!!!
    The recipe has been printed out to add to my binder.
    Thanks so much for posting it.

Quote Originally Posted by Lake Lady View Post
    I see the tomato sauce in your recipe but I don't see tomatoes listed. What kind (fresh, canned) and how much? It sounds very good and I'd like to try this, but I got a bit confused when it came to the tomatoes.
    I think what Lake Lady is saying is that there is no canned tomatoes listed in the ingredients, just a can of tomato sauce. Do you also need a fresh tomato, or a can of tomatoes, to break into chunks, like the recipe states, PLUS a can of tomato sauce?
    ~Kate

Mary is the Mother of Jesus and the Mother of all of us even though it was Christ alone who reposed on her knees… If he is ours, we ought to be in his situation; there where he is, we ought also to be and all that he has ought to be ours, and his mother is also our mother. —Martin Luther, Christmas Sermon, 1529.

I haven't made this in years because my husband doesn't like it, but the version I used can use either tomato sauce, or canned tomatoes. Tomato sauce is a bit less runny, also my Mom always adds olives to her version, but since I don't like them much, I leave them out. I'm pretty sure my Mom got her recipe from her Mother, or possibly in college; since she lurks her on the board, she'll probably let us know at some point.
    expatriate Californian living in rural Ireland with husband, dogs, horses. garden and many, many cats

We add a layer of beans, garbanzo or chili depending on what we have on hand. And a layer of cheese mid way through.

With hard times coming I'm sure we'll be saving beans for another meal and be lucky to get cheese!

Thankyou. I will try it tonight.
    http://www.thetreeofliberty.com/vb/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=7777&dateline=1296255  909 Just exactly WHEN, is the law so corrupted that it is immoral to obey it ?
    Citizens of Nazi Germany failed to answer that question correctly. Will the citizens of 21stCentury America do the same ?
    Or will they regain control of their government before it is too late ?