Thread: Cracklin’ Bread

Default Cracklin’ Bread

Another old family recipe by general request...

Cracklin’ Bread

2 cups cornmeal mix
    1 cup cracklings
    ½ tsp. Salt
    hot water

Use small pieces of cracklings, or break them into small pieces. Add cornmeal and salt and enough hot water to make a stiff dough, but not too stiff to spread. Pour into a greased pan dusted with cornmeal and bake at 400 to 450 degree oven about 30 to 40 minutes.

My aunt: ”Mom would make this bread some times when we were kids. As I remember, it was very good. I always wanted some left over for snacks. Oh it was so good. I like the crunchies in it. The cracklings were made at hog killing time in late fall or early winter time. Mom would grind the fats and some of the tender skins of the pork and render the lard from the fat and then she would can some of the cracklings for later use.”
    Last edited by liteluvr; 11-28-2010 at 01:15 PM.
    "I prefer peace. But if trouble must come, let it come in my time, so that my children can live in peace.
    Thomas Payne

Quote Originally Posted by liteluvr View Post
    Another old family recipe by general request...

Cracklin’ Bread

2 cups cornmeal mix
    1 cup cracklings
    ½ tsp. Salt
    hot water

Use small pieces of cracklings, or break them into small pieces. Add cornmeal and salt and enough hot water to make a stiff dough, but not too stiff to spread. Pour into a greased pan dusted with cornmeal and bake at 400 to 450 degree oven about 30 to 40 minutes.

My aunt: ”Mom would make this bread some times when we were kids. As I remember, it was very good. I always wanted some left over for snacks. Oh it was so good. I like the crunchies in it. The cracklings were made at hog killing time in late fall or early winter time. Mom would grind the fats and some of the tender skins of the pork and render the lard from the fat and then she would can some of the cracklings for later use.”
    thanks for the recipe...I have real fresh cracklings right now, going to try this