Thread: Looking for "crescent rolls' scratch recipe

Default Looking for "crescent rolls' scratch recipe

The pre-made ones in the store have gotten ridiculously expensive- like almost $2 per can. I'd like to make my own, but wasn't sure how to put dough together for it. I do like the sweetness of the pillsbury type refrigerator canned rolls. Besides enjoying them for their own sake, they are a good way to make leftovers go far, with all the fillings and such that you can make them into. I'd even like to try to replace some of the flour used with whole grain, at least a little-maybe a quarter of it, since I'm guessing that using more than that would make them heavier.

Help and recipes and tips much appreciated...
    Laura

Crazy is fractal.

I have used http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Golden-...ls/Detail.aspx
    a few times. I only used one cup of wholewheat flour in it. I used butter one time and the were flakier, but not as fluffy.

Here is THE most requested recipe from my family... if I'm not hosting the dinner, this is the only thing they demand I bring, no matter what else I may want to take! Even better, they can be made the night before and risen in the fridge (I use my root cellar).... and then put into the oven and baked fresh right before serving.

Oven Fresh Crescent Rolls
    1 cup milk
    1/2 cup butter
    1 tablespoon (or 1 packet) active dry yeast
    1/2 cup sugar
    4 1/2 cup flour
    2 large eggs
    1 tsp salt

1. Heat the milk over medium high heat just until tiny bubbles form around the edges. Pour the scalded milk into a large bowl (or your mixer bowl) and add the butter. Stir until the butter is melted. Then set aside until the mixture is lukewarm.

2. Stir the yeast and sugar into the milk. Let set until it starts to bubble a bit- 5-10 minutes. Then add 1 cup of flour and mix well. Add the eggs, one at a time, and beat well after each. Add the salt, and one more cup of flour; mix vigorously until the dough is smooth and elastic, at least 6 minutes by hand, or 3 minutes on the medium speed of an electric mixer.

3. If you are mixing by hand, add the remaining 2 1/2 cups flour, and mix until the dough is slight firmer but still very soft and smooth. Turn out onto a lightly floured surface and knead just until it's smooth, about 2-3 minutes.

If you're using an electric mixer, add the remaining 2 1/2 cups flour and mix just until incorporated. If you're using a Kitchenaid type mixer, attach the dough hook and knead until smooth. If you're using a lightweight mixer, dump it out on a lightly floured surface and knead by hand.

4. Place the dough into a greased bowl, (turn once to cover all surfaces lightly) cover it with a kitchen towel and set it aside to rise in a warm spot (68-70°) until doubled... about 2 hours.

5. Lightly flour two baking sheets

6. Turn the dough onto a well floured surface, divide it in half, and roll each half out to form a circle that is 1/8" thick and 16" diameter. Cut each circle into quarters, and then cut each quarter into four wedges. (a pizza cutter works REALLY well for this!). Roll the wedges up, starting at the wide end, and then lay them on the prepared sheets, bending a bit into crescents if you wish. (put the point on the bottom of the rolls so they don't unroll as they rise). They only need to be about 2" apart... you can easily bake 16 rolls on a large cookie sheet.

7. EITHER: cover them with a kitchen towel and let rise in a warm place until they're nearly doubled in size- about 4 hours.

OR, cover them with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.

Preheat oven to 350°F. Remove the rolls from the refrigerator about 30-60 minutes before baking. Bake the rolls until they are golden brown; 10-12 minutes.

Makes 32

Summerthyme
    Last edited by Summerthyme; 03-06-2011 at 10:44 AM.

awesome! thank you both!
    Laura

Crazy is fractal.

Default Just Saw Your Recipe - Summer

Quote Originally Posted by Summerthyme View Post
    Here is THE most requested recipe from my family...
    Summerthyme

for Crescent Rolls. This is on my "to do" list for new recipes! Looks good!