Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: China buys (Now Owns) Wal-Mart??????

Quote Originally Posted by Homesteader View Post
    Well WalMart is a publicly held company--i.e. stocks. So I'm sure that there are some Chinese that own shares. Now whether the Chinese Gov't holds a controlling number of shares--I don't know.
    Since it's a publicly held company, isn't there any way to see who the share holders are and their percentages?
    We wanted a FIGHTER. We got a fighter in Trump. He will not take anything laying down. Trump or Bust.

Quote Originally Posted by Buick Electra View Post
    Since it's a publicly held company, isn't there any way to see who the share holders are and their percentages?
    Yes hence the term publically held company.

That said lots of shell companies are created to protect the interest of the rich and famous. After all would any self respecting commie actor/actress want the average american to know that they owned shares in wally world? Didn't think so.

K-
    • “I am not afraid, because I was born to do this."

Joan of Arc
    Mark 8:38 - Whosoever therefore shall be ashamed of me and of my words in this adulterous and sinful generation; of him also shall the Son of man be ashamed, when he cometh in the glory of his Father with the holy angels.

Why the big secret I wonder? Wal-Mart is already stocked with 99% of crap from China, and that doesn't stop people from shopping there .
    That was my first thought when I started reading.
    When the search for truth is confused with political advocacy, the pursuit of knowledge is reduced to a quest for power. Alston Chase

The easiest way to fleece people, is one dollar at a time. Faithful Skeptic

The Three Phases of Life
    Young: Have time, have ambition, have no money.
    Mid Life: Have ambition, have money, have no time.
    Old: Have time, have money, have no ambition.

Quote Originally Posted by grower View Post
    I think it would be interesting to find out, but like you said, it probably won't change many people's shopping habits.
    It might not change folks' shopping habits, but it will change the type of associates. Going from fulltime to part time and at minimum wage will attract a whole new group of employees. It could be good. It could be bad. If that happens, I can see Walmart becoming a popular place for retirees to work and folks needing a second income. Hopefully, enough folks need that second job, especially on Black Friday. Many older folks couldn't physically deal with that.

Now that I think about it, didn't Walmart use to have a "part time only" policy back in the 80s? The only fulltime employes were management positions. Supposedly, the gov stepped in because Walmart's definition of part time was less than 38 hours, just enough to keep employees from being eligible for health insurance.

I think I need to go back to bed, get up and try this again. This is not something I wanted to read first thing in the morning. DH is a walmart employee. To say that he will lose hours and pay is a nightmare. He is our only source of income and nowhere else is hiring around here. Plus it would be hard to get a job when your 57 and have already had a heart attack. He's not thrilled with working at Walmart, but it puts food on the table and keeps a roof over our heads.

gardengal

Quote Originally Posted by straightstreet View Post
    just one more reason NOT to shop at crapmart
    straightstreet<><
    We stopped shopping there a long time ago. They were giving money to gay and lesbian groups for a while, and we just never went back.
    "Cats are so vile the Bible does not so much as mention them."

--Natty Threads

"I have come to the conclusion that people are strange."

--Firedance

Darlene Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Limner View Post
    In the late 70's, Hubby and I lived in Sherman, TX.
    That's a really great story! And something this country is sorely lacking.

Here's a link to the major shareholders, if you want to do some research~

http://finance.yahoo.com/q/mh?s=wmt
    Treat everyone with politeness, even those who are rude to you - not because they are nice, but because you are. ~Author Unknown

Unhappy My youngest works there ...

She is barely making it as it is ... this, if true, will crush her.

Quote Originally Posted by Belle View Post
    Here's a link to the major shareholders, if you want to do some research~

http://finance.yahoo.com/q/mh?s=wmt
    The latest report date for any of those shareholders was November 23, 2010.Most of them were September 2010 or before. So if this is supposed to be a recent transaction, it would be hard to tell. As this updates over time, we might be able to see something.
    "If you love Me, you will keep My commandments. - John 14:15

www.redhenrenaissance.blogspot.com