Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 20

Thread: Gas log/stove/oven use during power outage

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    GA
    Posts
    1,851

    Default Gas log/stove/oven use during power outage

    Does anyone here have any experience with a gas log fireplace during power outages? We have gas logs, stove and oven and are hoping to use them when/if the power goes out during this storm. DH says if the logs are on, they'll stay on. He said if the oven is on, it'll stay on until the temp has to adjust and then it'll go out due to the ignitor being electric. Anyone?!?

    .

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    1,514

    Default

    Can't help with the gas logs due to no experience in that area.

    With the kitchen stove /oven, they basically fall into two catagories:

    1. The old style. This type used pilot lights which were burning 24/7 all year round. When you lit the stove or the oven needed to go back on, the flame was already there to assist.

    2. The new style. This type uses the piezo electric thingy that requires electricity to operate. Your oven is basically worthless with a power outage. However, the burners on top of the stove are still usable. Some stoves still use a pilot light on top which operate as in explanation # 1 above. Other stove tops also use the piezo electric spark to light the burners. However, you can still light the stove top burners with a match and they will continue to burn until they are manually turned off using the stove top burner knobs.

    Not what you would call a technical explanation, but I hope it helps. I've used both types so I'm just passing on my limited experience.

    If you want to, just for the experience and peace of mind, unplug the thing and get some hands on experience before truly needing it for any upcoming storm.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    East
    Posts
    343

    Default

    We have a gas log fireplace. If the electric goes out, the blower won't work. Without the blower going, I don't think it would throw much heat. If you could close off the room it's in, it might keep it warm enough to survive, but I would worry about fumes since it isn't vented. We don't have anything that can be used with this fireplace to cook. We used the fireplace instead of our furnace for several years, and it managed to heat the whole house pretty good. The downside was, it left greasy soot on the walls and curtains. Right now the blower isn't working, so we haven't used it in a couple of years.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    4,030

    Default

    Be very careful that you have proper ventilation in the house so that there isn't a family disaster with carbon monoxide poisoning. Make sure you have a CO detector in the house and it is working properly.

    We have the same problem here. We have electric heat, and live in a condo, so have no way to get an alternate heat source. Would love a wood stove or fireplace, but not allowed, and am a bit leary about using kerosene or propane in the house.

    Anyone have suggestions for alternate heat sources?

    Fight the Bite with Skin So Soft Bug Guard!
    Deet Free! PABA Free! Safe for Pets!
    Repels mosquitoes, deer ticks, black flies, sand flies, gnats, no-seeums and biting midges.
    Order yours today!
    - www.LipstickLiz.com
    Liz Metcalf
    - Independent Avon Representative

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    GA
    Posts
    1,851

    Default

    That definitely helped RightWinger! I think ours is one with the electric thingie, but at least we can still use the stovetop.

    Sadie, do all the gas log fireplaces use the blowers? I don't think ours has one (assuming it would be loud and we'd hear it?). Think DH is gonna do an experiment in a while with the circuit board and see if the logs stay on. He just said ours doesnt have a blower.

    .

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    GA
    Posts
    1,851

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bethshaya View Post
    Be very careful that you have proper ventilation in the house so that there isn't a family disaster with carbon monoxide poisoning. Make sure you have a CO detector in the house and it is working properly.

    We have the same problem here. We have electric heat, and live in a condo, so have no way to get an alternate heat source. Would love a wood stove or fireplace, but not allowed, and am a bit leary about using kerosene or propane in the house.

    Anyone have suggestions for alternate heat sources?
    Carbon monoxide poisoning was one of the first things i thought of. I said we should leave a window cracked open.

    No suggestions on alternate heat so far, other than what I told my fam, and that's we can go sit in the car with the heater on, lol! Not much help there, sorry!

    .

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Western NC mountains
    Posts
    273

    Default

    I would go beat the crowd and get a kerosene heater! I have used them and they are great for heat. Mine has a cage over it and a pot can be placed on top for warming food. Can't do any major cooking of course, but you will not die freezing. The new ones are quite efficient and safe indoors. I have retired mine to the storage building because I am using my woodstove, but have about 20 gallons of kerosene just in case. It can get very cold in a house without power quite quickly. I would hate to rely on a stove top and gaslogs knowing there were better, inexpensive alternatives, especially in an area prone to power outages.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    4,673

    Default

    I have an older Kerosun heater that I do not use much for the garage. It has am oder of kerosene, slight, but there. I also have a vent less 80,000 BTU propane heater I use with a 20 lb or 30 lb tank. It raises the temp in my 24X24 garage 20 degrees in about 30 minutes. (22 to 42) If it were freeze or not freeze I would use it. I run it for awhile and I shut it off. No open flame wanted when making sawdust or spray painting.
    Nessie and Bigfoot 2016. Change you can believe in.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    46

    Default

    In regards to the gas fireplace and blower. Are these units hardwired or are they plugged into a receptacle for power? If they are plugged into a receptacle could you not run it using a inverter and a deep cell marine battery? Or depending where you live you could hook the inverter to your car and run a cord to the blower unit and power it while the car is running. As always care must be taken so you do not put yourself in any type of harm.

    Maybe you could get a Mr buddy heater and some extra propane (1lb) bottles. http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...5499_200395499 I have used this and it works well. They come in different sizes but the nice thing is they are very portable.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    GA
    Posts
    1,851

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dixielee View Post
    I would go beat the crowd and get a kerosene heater! I have used them and they are great for heat. Mine has a cage over it and a pot can be placed on top for warming food. Can't do any major cooking of course, but you will not die freezing. The new ones are quite efficient and safe indoors. I have retired mine to the storage building because I am using my woodstove, but have about 20 gallons of kerosene just in case. It can get very cold in a house without power quite quickly. I would hate to rely on a stove top and gaslogs knowing there were better, inexpensive alternatives, especially in an area prone to power outages.

    [quote=orion commander;1357732]I have an older Kerosun heater that I do not use much for the garage. It has am oder of kerosene, slight, but there. I also have a vent less 80,000 BTU propane heater I use with a 20

    .

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •