Thread: Do I refrigerate pickled eggs?

Default Do I refrigerate pickled eggs?

I decided to try pickling eggs. The recipes I've looked over says "refrigerate". I didn't think I had to refrigerate anything that was pickled. After all, walk into a bar and the big glass jars of pickled eggs are sitting on the counter.

So, which way is it?

I'd refrigerate them.

Ketchup and cucumber pickles are "pickled" too, but most people keep them in the fridge. Eggs are a great growth medium for nasties.

and who wants pickles at room temp?

Maybe it depends on how you made them.

I water-bath canned mine in mason jars...and yes, after opening I'll refrigerate them.

The recipe I followed simply called for placing the eggs in a sanitized jar, adding the pickling liquid and screwing the top on.

I'll refrigerate them!

The recipe we use said that you don't refrigerate. Your eggs

I do. I think they taste better after they've chilled. I don't like to eat them cold. I let them sit out a bit before eating/serving but keep them in the ice box in between eating. Yum. I may make some tomorrow

There is no fear in love; but perfect love casts out fear, because fear involves punishment, and the one who fears is not perfected in love. We love, because He first loved us. -- I John 4:18-19

Whoever derides their neighbor has no sense, but the one who has understanding holds their tongue. -- Proverbs 11:12.

I am an egg snob because I have been sick on most store purchased eggs. I WOULD refrigerate them just because.....no real reason. Just cuz I am afraid of them otherwise. I am ok now that I am buying 100 percent organic fed and free range chickens with a good far out date about $5.00 per dozen but it is definitely worth it. AL

Default pickling eggs for just snacks or food preservation ?

Quote Originally Posted by bbkaren View Post
    Maybe it depends on how you made them.

I water-bath canned mine in mason jars...and yes, after opening I'll refrigerate them.
    bbkaren,
    What kind of shelf life do you get by water-bath/pickling, and what kind of brine?

With the "refrigerate" recipes we have found, we have been afraid to pickle all we COULD be putting up. There's only so much room in the fridge, AND only so many pickled eggs one can eat during short time the recipes say they are 'still-good'.

I'd like to have dozens and dozens of quarts sitting in the long-term-room-temp. pantry, just like all the other water-bath (veg. & fruit) pickles.

OR, does anyone know how long a big crock of P.E. actually will keep if kept in a root cellar at 36-40 deg. f. ? Did people not do this to preserve eggs as food before home canning ?
    Don in MN

"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace.”Thomas Paine

"...for I know whom I have believed,
    and am persuaded that he is able
    to keep that which I have committed
    unto him against that day."

~
    II Timothy 1:12b

~