Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: pantry pests in Pinto Beans

I'm leaning towards Belle's answer, FWIW.

I freeze everything before packaging, so hopefully that will have killed any critters lurking inside.
    "Rend your heart and not your garments." Joel 2:13

Default bay leaves?

Try looking up bay leaves. Do not know if it will work in Mylar (just starting prepping). It does help to keep them out of my cabinets; scatter a few leaves on each shelf. (in Louisiana)

Once you've got pantry moths, Bay Leaves are WORTHLESS. Ask me how I know. :(

I agree with many of the earlier posts, get the infested product out of your house NOW. I also agree that with beans especially, you can salvage the beans that have been infested, but do can them up immediately. Otherwise, you are going to risk infestation of your rice, wheat and pasta. And let me tell you, once the moths have hit your rice and wheat, it becomes chicken feed.

I've never had a problem with beans, but I have with other grains. They are a pain to deal with and you will probably never be rid of them now. Sorry. We had our house tented and fumigated for termites and I still couldn't get rid of them. Our termite guy said that the eggs were probably hiding on tea bag boxes, under the handles of my air tight cannisters, etc.

I feel your pain, but at least the critters are completely edible!
    Personal Responsibility, Take It, It's Yours

Quote Originally Posted by dilligaf View Post
    sift out what ya can and do the freezer thing again (remember always freeze twice) then re pack or rotate out.. its just dry beans an bugs,, aint no harm done..
    Extra protein, yum!

And the bay leaves BayouLady mentioned does ring a bell, Grandma put them in all her dry stuff to keep the extra protein out.
    But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law. Galatians 5:22-23

Quote Originally Posted by Hawthorne View Post
    I feel your pain, but at least the critters are completely edible!
    You made me swallow my gum!!! I was not expecting that! But you're right, they ARE edible.
    Treat everyone with politeness, even those who are rude to you - not because they are nice, but because you are. ~Author Unknown

Well crap. I sure wish I'd read Belle's post BEFORE I opened the offending pail of pintos to cream the critters with dry ice

Decided to ice everything to try to fumigate and now it sounds like I may have contaminated all of them.

Only redeeming factor is that I did isolate the one pail prior to opening.

Not happy. Not happy
    ~Pyrate~

"Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Quote Originally Posted by Son of George View Post
    I like Belle's suggestion of getting them outside and thunder's suggestion of the microwave. I know you can microwave dry beans, rice, wheat, corn, etc., without damage. It might lower the nutritional value some, not sure. I was going to suggest the oven 200 degrees for 30 minutes. The heat should also kill any eggs.
    they don't sprout well after microwaving.

K-
    • “I am not afraid, because I was born to do this."

Joan of Arc
    Mark 8:38 - Whosoever therefore shall be ashamed of me and of my words in this adulterous and sinful generation; of him also shall the Son of man be ashamed, when he cometh in the glory of his Father with the holy angels.

Quote Originally Posted by packyderms_wife View Post
    they don't sprout well after microwaving.

K-
    The beans or the bugs
    ~Pyrate~

"Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Quote Originally Posted by PyratePrincess View Post
    The beans or the bugs
    the beans of course.
    • “I am not afraid, because I was born to do this."

Joan of Arc
    Mark 8:38 - Whosoever therefore shall be ashamed of me and of my words in this adulterous and sinful generation; of him also shall the Son of man be ashamed, when he cometh in the glory of his Father with the holy angels.

Quote Originally Posted by Belle View Post
    I can tell you how to get the bugs out, but you'd have to cook them right away (or can them). One bit of advice, do not open them in your house again. They will get out and infest everything in your house and I'm not joking. I lost over 500 lbs of grain foods from doing that - flour, meal, crackers, noodles, all sorts of things.

To get the bugs out, pour them into a colander outside, shake it well to get out as many bugs as possible, then dump the beans into a pot of water. Do this for all of them. Then start scooping out any bugs that float to the top of the water. Keep doing that until you no longer find bugs. Now soak them overnight and scoop any additional bugs that float up. Now drain the beans, rinse them, and either can or cook them. If you cook them, you don't have to eat them all right now, you can freeze them in meal-size portions.

I know that sounds gross, but, if it comes down to getting the bugs out of something or going hungry, I'm getting the bugs out. Might as well learn how now.

As far as preventing bugs in foods, the only sure-fire way I know of is to store them in the freezer all the time.

I know I didn't offer much hope, but that's all I've got.
    Grandma on her 360 acre spread did just what you said above but didn't cook after. She strained and strained and then used finer strainers. She always saved what she could being raised during the depression. When she told us her stories she always said..."The Great Depression?" What was great about it? She told us about eating ham with maggots in it. We were used to getting salad with a few aphids in it on occasion...we would pick them out while she laughed and said it was just a little added protein. She was not shy about bugs..they get into food and dried food notoriously. Her food room was in her basement where it was downright cold. Nothing out of there ever got bugs in it. Only the dried foods in her country kitchen but just sometimes....

It is great that you want to save food and are willing to go through the trouble.... In the future we may have to do more of that....
    As the sun sets over the water, the air is drenched with the nuances of honeysuckles mixed with other florals, roses plus pines and the waves kick up the deep water scents combined. It is my gift for a time to see this, through the windows of my realm....borrowed and quite treasured with every moment in time.

Have a lovely Day
    Romy
    Island Girl
    www.romysrealm.com
    www.kefirwellness.com
    www.romysrealm.blogspot.com