Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for Southern Corn bread

Default Looking for Southern Corn bread

The hubby has been bugging me tonight at work, he is watching some cooking show and he asked me to look for 2 recipes...one is an authentic Southern corn bread that has no flour or sugar in it. He told me it has baking powder, baking soda, buttermilk, oil , butter and salt and the corn meal was toasted...oh it was made in a cast iron skillet too

I did what looking that I could at my break but couldn't find one with the ingredients that are listed above, if anyone has a recipe like this or can point me in the right direction I would greatly appreciate it!
    "Let not your heart be disturbed. Do not fear that sickness, nor any other sickness or anguish. Am I not here, who is your Mother? Are you not under my protection? Am I not your health? Are you not happily within my fold? What else do you wish? Do not grieve nor be disturbed by anything."

~ Our Lady to Juan Diego, December 9, 1531

Quote Originally Posted by angelwing View Post
    and the corn meal was toasted...
    i dont know about toasted corn meal, but deep fried in lard in an iron skillet is pretty good stuff

I don't have a recipe off the top of my head but for a "little-y-yankee" headed south, I can recommend this book - it's as much fun to read as it is about good food. The author interviewed various southern musicians as well as their mamas to get their favorite recipes.:

http://www.amazon.com/Shuck-Beans-St.../dp/0871136007

It's got half a dozen different corn bread recipes for various occasions and using various ingredients.

The biggest shock to me as a yankee is that real cornbread is in fact, not sweet. Still working on that one!

However, I've made fried pies lots of times and man alive, that recipe's worth the price of the book.

My mom makes corn pone like that sometimes. It's like cornbread, but not. There are 1000 different variations out there, but if it's cornmeal only (no flour) then you're probably looking for a corn pone recipe.

I "think" maybe it's the corn that's toasted and then ground cause if you try to toast corn meal it's gonna burn with all the oil in it! Southern corn bread never has sugar or white flour in it - that's the Northern style adaptation.

grower is offline Tree of Liberty Contributor

Well, I'm Southern, and here's how I make cornbread....one way is baked and the other is fried. (Don't know exactly what you mean by "toasted.")

BAKED CORNBREAD
    Pour a cup of water in the bottom of the oven. Pre-heat oven to 450.

2 cups self-rising cornmeal mix (yellow, not white)
    2 eggs
    1 1/2 cups milk or buttermilk
    1/4 cup oil, or lard, or butter, softened (1/2 stick)
    Lard (to grease pan)
    Finely chopped onions (optional)

Mix first 4 ingredients in a large bowl, stirring first with a fork, then add onions and finish mixing thoroughly with clean hands, "squishing" any lumps. Grease a 12-inch cast-iron frying pan with lard (or any kind of grease you have handy) and place it in the hot oven for 5 minutes. WATCH OUT FOR STEAM WHEN YOU OPEN THE DOOR. Take out the pan with a pot holder and pour the batter in (it will sizzle). Put back in the oven. Bake 20-25 minutes, or until a knife inserted in the middle comes out clean. Serve hot, with butter.

FRIED CORNBREAD

Mix ingredients the same as above. Pour about 1/2 inch of oil or lard in cast-iron frying pan. Put on medium heat. Spoon batter into pan and cook like you would pancakes. Serve hot. (These go great with butterbeans or pinto beans.)
    IF you are willing & obedient , you shall eat the good of the land: But if you refuse & rebel, You shall be devoured with the sword: for the mouth of the LORD hath spoken it. Isaiah 1:19, 20

Buttermilk instead of milk, less sugar than called for, and melted butter instead of oil, hunk of melted butter in iron skillet.

Not sure if it's considered "real" cornbread, but it is GOOD stuff.

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Golden-...ad/Detail.aspx

Don't we have a thread about Southern cornbread on the board somewhere? Seems like I remember this discussion a few months back.
    "Rend your heart and not your garments." Joel 2:13

Quote Originally Posted by goatlady View Post
    I "think" maybe it's the corn that's toasted and then ground cause if you try to toast corn meal it's gonna burn with all the oil in it! Southern corn bread never has sugar or white flour in it - that's the Northern style adaptation.

The only Southerners I know that don't add flour use the Cornmeal "mix". The "mix" already has flour added.

I personally don't like the "mix" and go out of my way to find regular conrmeal. But, then I add flour, just not as much as seems to be in the "mix".

I think the recipe your husband is looking for is one that I actually learned form a Southerner after I moved back to California. Usual Mississippi corn bread is the yellow meal, plus flour, plus butter milk, (sometimes eggs and a tiny bit of sugar and baking powder/soda).

But the white version is very stark and while I like it OK, don't like it well enough to make often but here it is, as I watched it done.

Take white corn meal (say two cups or so)
    Add about 1 tsp salt (or to taste)
    Add broken up pieces of cooked bacon if you have them
    Melt about 2 tbsp of lard or bacon grease and pour into the corn meal, mix well

Meanwhile heat a cast iron skillet and coat with more bacon grease/lard, pour mixture in a thin layer and either bake on top of the stove or put in a 400 degree oven for about 15 minutes. If baking you can use more than one pan but if you make this too thick it will not be edible.

The lard/grease is important as is the high heat for cooking rapidly.

Some people do add a pinch of baking powder or baking soda to this, about 1 to 2 tsp, but the original didn't have any.

The result of this, is much like a salty, crisp corn cracker. Very good with certain foods, but not what I would want to eat all the time.
    expatriate Californian living in rural Ireland with husband, dogs, horses. garden and many, many cats