Having to start my food storage basically from scratch (thank you people who stole my stuff)...with some challenging restrictions, and could use some suggestions.

We're at 5k feet elevation (must learn new canning guidelines)...with nearly an average relative humidity of 85-90%! No air-conditioning, with constant temps of 60-70 degrees.

I did have about a dozen cases of #2 cans and about a dozen pails of assorted commercially prepared LTS items, but am seeing rust on the outside of the cans.

In addition, we have a bevy of bugs (even at 5k feet) and the opportunistic field mice. No rats-thank heaven.

Storage area very limited and I don't think a root cellar is going to do well (just don't think I can keep one DRY).

ALSO...for extra fun...Glass is not easy to come by.

I bought some bulk local flour (25lbs) that came in a fabric bag (probably not 100% cotton)...which I need to try to freeze first and then move into different container.

I can buy gallon glass jars here ($7 each) and I have maybe a dozen food grade plastic pails.

Since my #10 cans aren't going to hold up...I need ideas on which foods may be more critical for glass storage...and which are ok for plastic.

Sugar, for example...I'd think it would be ok in plastic. Ditto salt.

Flour seems destined for glass...but that's inconvenient because we have to make most everything from scratch (including bread items).

I'm trying to strike a balance between bugs, humidity and all the other elements.

Suggestions???