Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Meaning of Black and White Ribbons Being Worn Tonight (SOTU Address)

Default The Meaning of Black and White Ribbons Being Worn Tonight (SOTU Address)

Another Color for the Lapel

Reps. Debbie Wasserman Schultz, D-Fla., and Michael McCaul, R-Texas, have asked lawmakers attending the State of the Union to wear black and white ribbons in honor of the Arizona shooting.

Lawmakers plan to place an empty chair in the audience in honor of Rep. Gabrielle Giffords, who is now in a rehab facility in Texas after being shot in the head on Jan. 8. Thirteen others -- non-lawmakers -- were injured and six killed, including a federal judge.

The letter to colleagues reads in part:

"In tribute to the victims of the Arizona tragedy, we encourage Members, and everyone attending the State of the Union address Tuesday night to wear a black/white lapel ribbon.

"The tragic shooting on January 8th wounded our friend and colleague, Rep. Gabrielle Giffords, and caused the deaths of six and wounding of twelve others. The black/white ribbon has been a symbol of unity and hope for the entire Tucson community in the wake of this event. The white ribbon represents hope for a peaceful, nonviolent society. The black ribbon is in remembrance of all who have died and been wounded as a result of violence.

"As the Tucson community works to heal and comes together in solidarity, Reps. McCaul and Wasserman Schultz believe it would be fitting that Members, Administration officials and others, wear these ribbons on Tuesday as a symbol of solidarity with the community and the nation."

http://politics.blogs.foxnews.com/20...er-color-lapel

What will be worn for all of the conservatives attacked and killed by liberals this year?

Oh yes, I forgot... Conservative victims don't count.

Darlene Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Seeker View Post
    Lawmakers plan to place an empty chair in the audience in honor of Rep. Gabrielle Giffords, who is now in a rehab facility in Texas after being shot in the head on Jan. 8.
    I heard Justice Roberts may leave his chair vacant tonight, so they can use that one.

Symbolism runs wide but shallow these days in DC. Almost better than meaningful action, cheaper too.
    "None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free. "

Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Coverin' My Six in Perver-City

“Shoot until the target changes shape or catches fire!”

Darlene Guest

Quote Originally Posted by LONEWOLF View Post
    Symbolism runs wide but shallow these days in DC. Almost better than meaningful action, cheaper too.
    Yep. I wonder if the audience will have to endure another pagan prayer or some other symbolic rot tonight. Maybe the cameras will even catch a tear or two.

About as effective as sitting together. A way for our Congressmen to feel like they are doing something while really doing nothing which is what they are really good at.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark D View Post
    What will be worn for all of the conservatives attacked and killed by liberals this year?

Oh yes, I forgot... Conservative victims don't count.
    Gotta say I disagree...Strongly

[ABOVE ALL SEEK THE FATHERS WILL]
    [TARGET THE PROBLEM]
    [EXECUTE A SOLUTION]
    [RESIST]
    [DENY]
    [REFUSE]
    [DEFY]

Boy, just when you thought they couldn't POSSIBLY exploit the incident in Arizona any more.......

If that is explained to the numbed masses shortly before the address, it'll be just the visual-cue garnish to help set the mood for subconscious, positive reception of any nebulous gun "safety" commentary...I'll be interested to see if they pan/cut to those subtly yet repeatedly while said commentary is occurring.

/paranoia (AKA head-game experience)

"If you're complacent and you know it, clank your chains..."