Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: HELP!! Sick Chickens!

Default HELP!! Sick Chickens!

I have two hens that have the runs, one looks very bad. They both have wet rear end feathers and white watery stools. These are my first chickens since I was a child so don't have a lot of expereience with disease.....yet. Any help would be appreciated. TIA
    "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind. Games played with the ball, and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be your constant companion of your walks." Thomas Jefferson, letter to Peter Carr, Aug. 19, 1785

Add a little DE to their food. It helps with worms and other diseases.

Thanks NH, but this is a sudden onset of symptoms in what have been trouble free birds from Murry McMurray hatchery. They are red stars about two yrs old. They are not free ranged and not exposed to other chickens. In fact they havent been outside in several weeks. I have been looking at websites about chicken diseases, but nothing seems to really fit.

I don't think one of them will make it through the night

BTW they are inside with a deep bed system and heated waterer, commercial layer feed, lots of space etc.
    "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind. Games played with the ball, and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be your constant companion of your walks." Thomas Jefferson, letter to Peter Carr, Aug. 19, 1785

What makes you think they will not make it through the night?

I have 40 chickens...this is my third set in the last 8 years. I have had many birds get colds in the winter. Yet not one has died.

Birds get sick. They usually recover.

Blessings,
    Donna

grower is offline Tree of Liberty Contributor

They can still get worms. Try the DE...it won't hurt and it might help. (I'd say let them out of the hen house, too....but that's a personal preference.)
    IF you are willing & obedient , you shall eat the good of the land: But if you refuse & rebel, You shall be devoured with the sword: for the mouth of the LORD hath spoken it. Isaiah 1:19, 20

Sounds like coccidiosis.

Do you have a tractor supply or similar store near you? What you're looking for is amprolium (Corid). They should sell a fairly small packet of it... it's still expensive. (but nothing like the gallon jug of liquid!!!)

Directions will be on the packet as far as mixing, etc.

If they look as bad as you say, putting the medicine down them PLUS some electrolytes with a syringe is vital... they can die very quickly from dehydration. Mix up some of the WHO formula (1/4 tsp EACH salt, Lite Salt, baking soda, and 2 1/2 tablespoons sugar to 1 quart water) and see if you can get a tablespoon or so down them every couple hours.

Cocci is an odd disease, in that they can sort of "carry" it and then have it "break" under stress. It sounds like you're doing everything right, but it happens...

Summerthyme

I think Summerthyme is right.

Another thing that helps sick chickens--apple cider vinegar in their water. I usually add a splash (1/4 cup or so) to a gallon of water.

It won't hurt so nothing ventured, nothing gained.

DE won't hurt them either.

Barley is also a good detoxifier for chickens. Substitute barley for their regular rations for 3-7 days.
    "Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. ...those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience."
    C.S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by justmedonna View Post
    What makes you think they will not make it through the night?

I have 40 chickens...this is my third set in the last 8 years. I have had many birds get colds in the winter. Yet not one has died.

Birds get sick. They usually recover.

Blessings,
    Donna
    This ONE hen is very listless with her head tucked down to her chest, I have raised lot's of livestock in the past just not chickens. I can see it in her "lack of demeanor" she is very ill

Quote Originally Posted by grower View Post
    They can still get worms. Try the DE...it won't hurt and it might help. (I'd say let them out of the hen house, too....but that's a personal preference.)
    Thanks. I will try the DE. And I have tried to let them out a couple of times and they just stay in. Not big fans of the snow theses girls

Quote Originally Posted by MIPatriot View Post
    Thanks. I will try the DE. And I have tried to let them out a couple of times and they just stay in. Not big fans of the snow theses girls

Everything everyone said above esp. what ST said, and check their area for mice or rats. They could be eating rodent feces which is not good.

K-
    • “I am not afraid, because I was born to do this."

Joan of Arc
    Mark 8:38 - Whosoever therefore shall be ashamed of me and of my words in this adulterous and sinful generation; of him also shall the Son of man be ashamed, when he cometh in the glory of his Father with the holy angels.